Problem China mfg sent me 220V 50hz equipment to the US

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: China mfg sent me 220V 50hz equipment to the US

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default China mfg sent me 220V 50hz equipment to the US

Ok, so I just received my 80W machine this week, and was having the electrician come out and install the 220V line to supply it. However, they sent me 220V/50hz machine,as well as the water pump/air pump and exhaust fan ,all of which are 220V/50hz ,even though I asked for 60Hz . Im already having the 220V plugs installed, but Im concerned about the 50 vs 60 Hz ,especially on the laser machine..is this going to be an issue? if so, is there anything that can be done about it?

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: China mfg sent me 220V 50hz equipment to the US

Generally it is not a problem, the motors run a little higher rpm and at slightly lower current.
    It is quite likely they do not have a 60Hz model!
    Al.

CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

thanks guys for the response. Most items in the US are 110V, but somne are 220, they just require breakers,wiring and outlets rated for that..like our washing machine. so, this one being 50hz on a 60hz line will not effect the laser tube and power supply? Ive been reading about this, and so far Ive found that the motors will run around 20% faster than they would normally,but those are motors..couldnt find anything about laser tubes and things like the power supply in these machines.

Downloads
    Uploads

All the devices where the power is converted to DC etc is usually regulated, so it is generally immune to the frequency of the 50/60hz AC supply.
    Al.

Albert E.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

ok, not sure what parts of the machine would be converted to DC

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Synchronous kit is a problem, for example a motor wound to do a synchronous 1,500 RPM from a 50 Hz supply, it will run hot, produce less that the rated power, and die early. "clocked" or timed kit that uses the mains frequency as a clock frequency will also have issues. anything and everything that feeds via a switched mode PSU however won't even notice. so for your laser your blower motor and compressor motor *may* have an issue with 50/60 Hz, but all the electronics will be running from a switched mode PSU so won't care about mains frequency, and will also be quite tolerant of mains voltage. HTH etc.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

thanks for the response. what about the plug itself? my electrician hasnt arrived yet to install the outlets for me. But Im not even sure yet if the plugs that came with the machine will work. anyone know? if there are no outlets that work with it ,what about changing the cord? is that possible?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Just to note, in case anyones researching for a new machine..I bought this from Jinan Itech ,which now that Ive received it,and have this issue ,the Itech rep will no longer respond to my emails about it.

Downloads
    Uploads

TSHobbie,

I know this is a long time past, but, how did you system work running on US 60hz power. Tube and step motor are DC so that should not have been a issue. Just wanted to check first and prepare for our machine next week.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

we've had our machine running for 2 years and so far no troubles due to the difference. we did have the PSU go out a few months ago, but that was due to dust getting built up inside it, even though I cleaned it out. I ended up makinga filter box to go around it. The exhaust blower only lasted about a month and the motor fried, I assume because of the difference in hz. other than that the difference isnt noticed.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by TSHobbies View Post
    . The exhaust blower only lasted about a month and the motor fried, I assume because of the difference in hz. other than that the difference isnt noticed.
    I very much doubt it was the Freq, running on 60Hz instead of 50Hz it would make it easier on it anyway, also if this is a Universal (AC/DC) blower motor then it would have absolutely no effect.
    Al.

Albert E.

Downloads
    Uploads

the forum is insane, fabulous immediate feedback, truly appreciated. I am sure I will have more questions in the near future once we get our machine through the port of NY.

Downloads
    Uploads

The thing I have noted with some Chinese origin M/C's is the poor wiring practice particularly the attention to proper earth grounding.
    Al.

Albert E.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Al_The_Man View Post
    The thing I have noted with some Chinese origin M/C's is the poor wiring practice particularly the attention to proper earth grounding.
    Al.
    Ditto and BTW the folks ordering from China.... you can specify 120 volts and you will get the correct voltage. The machines draw so little amperage its a shame to waste the money running a 240 (220) volt line. 50/60 Cycles you have that covered pretty well! I have a Ray Fine fiber ordered direct.

1000x750 Workbee CNC - Mach4 - PMDX USB - Windows 10 Pro

Downloads
    Uploads

Well there`s one good side of running a machine @ 220VAC rather than 110VAC (50/60hz) higher voltage uses lesser amperage thus saving you a little bit of power (LRA, FLA etc), that`s the reason why some factories use 380/440VAC, on a household scenario some countries like the US, Japan, some parts of europe uses 110VAC for a bit safety factor in exchange for a bigger utility service drops (transmission wires) and slightly higher power consumption, even the trucks there in the US uses 12VDC rather than a 24VDC system, once again for the safety of the operators/drivers in exchange for the bigger wiring harnesses on the truck products.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by KH0UJ View Post
    Well there`s one good side of running a machine @ 220VAC rather than 110VAC (50/60hz) higher voltage uses lesser amperage thus saving you a little bit of power (LRA, FLA etc), that`s the reason why some factories use 380/440VAC, on a household scenario some countries like the US, Japan, some parts of europe uses 110VAC for a bit safety factor in exchange for a bigger utility service drops (transmission wires) and slightly higher power consumption, even the trucks there in the US uses 12VDC rather than a 24VDC system, once again for the safety of the operators/drivers in exchange for the bigger wiring harnesses on the truck products.
    That is not really true, watts is watts and that is what your power wattage meter sees and you are billed for. Where the savings might come is in the sizing of the wire for the lower amperage draw on 220 (240) volt systems. The 220 found in Europe is a non polarized circuit, but in some areas they are changing that. In the US the outlets are polarized allowing the neutral line to always be connected in theory anyway to the neutral wiring in the appliance. Laser machines draw so little amperage its a moot point. Factories are 380 / 440 or whatever because they are usually running 3 phase.
    This is from a electrician who has been in the trade since 1962 and now retired master electrician. BTW is your user name a ham call sign? Yes, I thought so! I am also not active on HF and rarely on VHF.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by wmgeorge View Post
    That is not really true, watts is watts and that is what your power wattage meter sees and you are billed for. Where the savings might come is in the sizing of the wire for the lower amperage draw on 220 (240) volt systems. The 220 found in Europe is a non polarized circuit, but in some areas they are changing that. In the US the outlets are polarized allowing the neutral line to always be connected in theory anyway to the neutral wiring in the appliance. Laser machines draw so little amperage its a moot point. Factories are 380 / 440 or whatever because they are usually running 3 phase.
    This is from a electrician who has been in the trade since 1962 and now retired master electrician. BTW is your user name a ham call sign? Yes, I thought so! I am also not active on HF and rarely on VHF.
    Well for these low power equipment, maybe it`s not that noticeable sir on paper and calculations it`s really true that watts is watts no doubt about it, but on a real world scenario it differs maybe 2-5% energy savings, because we compared a whirlpool washer with the same model but different voltage ratings, same with a 5000 BTU GE air conditioner, factors like LRA, motor inductances, wires used, for a veteran electrician I think you noticed it too, for a household the percentage is so small enough to be noticed on a monthly bill I think, but on a large scale I think it`s noticeable and yes sir that`s my call sign back in the days when I was still working as an HVAC engineer on a company in the US, took an exam on FCC and I passed with flying colors it`s my hobby and a part time job in my college days, I make my own custom repeaters, XOR`s, antennas, phone patcher circuits, custom VHF cavity filters, repair / install communication equipment back in the days, climbed 300 ft. towers with ease then here comes the internet, all that communications systems became dormant, then I got hooked at the PC world and eventually stumbled on a CNC, now here I am getting hooked each day, got challenged everyday on custom programming CNC route paths for material efficiency on gun accessories and products, with a concrete electronics background I managed to maintain all of the CNC equipment in the shop that I currently worked with, it`s fun and challenging for me but not really that hard compared to communication electronics on my opinion. it`s a bit hard in the first few weeks but things got better and smoother in the end.

@ op if you want to directly convert your machine to a convenient 110VAC I think you can use a 500W stepdown transformer (220-to-110) but you need to connect it in reverse, instead of the 110V outlet is the output, you can make it the input, it`s a multi tap design, so if you input 110VAC on the output of the transformer, it will output 220VAC @ 500W in the other side a step down transformer can be also used as a set up transformer if connected in reverse.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Al_The_Man View Post
    Generally it is not a problem, the motors run a little higher rpm and at slightly lower current.
    It is quite likely they do not have a 60Hz model!
    Al.
    What a nonsence. Motors runs on DC !!! Mostly 24V DC.

CNC lasers, constructions, service

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by cinematic2 View Post
    The water pump, external vent fan and air pump are all AC powered not DC, either 120 or 240 vac and 50 vs 60 the motor runs a little faster.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by cinematic2 View Post
    It was obvious I was referring to any AC motors that may be on the M/C

Albert E.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast