Problem China mfg sent me 220V 50hz equipment to the US - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: China mfg sent me 220V 50hz equipment to the US

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: China mfg sent me 220V 50hz equipment to the US

The only advantage of running 220V versus 120V is you can use smaller gauge wire for 220V because it is pulling less amperage. Power is still calculated P=IE anyway you slice it, the power company gets paid the same.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by CNCMAN172 View Post
    The only advantage of running 220V versus 120V is you can use smaller gauge wire for 220V because it is pulling less amperage. Power is still calculated P=IE anyway you slice it, the power company gets paid the same.
    Ditto and the other concern and its not, is the 50 vs 60 cycles. Most equipment is rated 50/60 Hertz.

1000x750 Workbee CNC - Mach4 - PMDX USB - Windows 10 Pro

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by wmgeorge View Post
    That is not really true, watts is watts and that is what your power wattage meter sees and you are billed for. Where the savings might come is in the sizing of the wire for the lower amperage draw on 220 (240) volt systems. The 220 found in Europe is a non polarized circuit, but in some areas they are changing that. In the US the outlets are polarized allowing the neutral line to always be connected in theory anyway to the neutral wiring in the appliance. Laser machines draw so little amperage its a moot point. Factories are 380 / 440 or whatever because they are usually running 3 phase.
    This is from a electrician who has been in the trade since 1962 and now retired master electrician. BTW is your user name a ham call sign? Yes, I thought so! I am also not active on HF and rarely on VHF.
    hi there maybe you can help me out,just bought a large format printer from china that came with chinese wiring,from what i understand they use 220v to one prong and a neutral to the other with a ground.i know we use 110 to each prongs with no neutral . so is it safe to wire up

Downloads
    Uploads

Yes, It should make no difference, there should be no reference to GND with the line used for neutral, at least in the machine itself.

BTW, Re other posts on motor problems, if you do experience problems with 1ph induction motors on Chinese machines, this is most often due top very poor quality start/run capacitors, it is advisable to replace them with N.Amer made versions and AC motor run grade.
    Al.

CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by kurtmaltby View Post
    hi there maybe you can help me out,just bought a large format printer from china that came with chinese wiring,from what i understand they use 220v to one prong and a neutral to the other with a ground.i know we use 110 to each prongs with no neutral . so is it safe to wire up
    The European and Chinese use no neutral or 110 (120/240) its 220 and takes both prongs. The center pin is suppose to be equipment or earth ground but unless you visually or with a meter verify I would not 100% count on it. US 220 volts (240) on both the prongs works fine. Call your local electrician to verify, but most house wiring electricians are clueless about this type of wiring. 50 cycles just means any AC motor will run a bit fast on 60 Hz, but since the machine is usually all DC and stepper/ servo motors its a moot point.
    If you ordered the machine 110 (120) you need to check the power supplies and other to make sure its NOT 120 before you hook up to 240 volts!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

China mfg sent me 220V 50hz equipment to the US-20170705_130009-jpg
    ok here is a pics of plug has L,N and ground symbol, so i assumed ground is the green and yellow wire,brown is line,and blue was nuetral.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

China mfg sent me 220V 50hz equipment to the US-20170705_125900-jpg

Downloads
    Uploads

Makes no difference. Across the terminals N and L there is 240 volts. They do not use the Neutral wire in the machine because nothing in the machine is 120 volts. In Europe the older 220 round plugs were never polarized. Today they are, one prong is 220/240 the other is Neutral as respect to ground. Yes the green/yellow wire is equipment or earth ground and the Neutral in respect to that has no voltage. The other wire is hot to ground reading voltage.

On my machine from China I ordered it as 120 volts, and it came in with the plug you have pictured, BUT I have an adapter they sent with it that converts that plug to standard US 120 volt grounded outlet.

China mfg sent me 220V 50hz equipment to the US-outlet-jpg

Last edited by wmgeorge; 07-05-2017 at 05:25 PM.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

ok cool so i'm gunna cut this plug off and put a 220 usa plug on it,so i just wire it like normal right blue wire to one side and brown to the other and of course ground

Downloads
    Uploads

Yes as long as the Yellow/green goes to your equipment ground that's all that counts. We have had the same discussion over on Sawmill Creek many times!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

ty for your help much appreciated

Downloads
    Uploads

The difference between europe and other countries that use a a 230v and star grounded neutral and N.A., is that N.A. uses a 240v C.T. transformer where the C.T. is a earth grounded neutral, both systems are normally completely interchangeable as far as a 230/240v supply.
    Al.

Albert E.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Al_The_Man View Post
    The difference between europe and other countries that use a a 230v and star grounded neutral and N.A., is that N.A. uses a 240v C.T. transformer where the C.T. is a earth grounded neutral, both systems are normally completely interchangeable as far as a 230/240v supply.
    Al.
    There is so much BS being posting on the Internet by people who Think they know. Being an electrician since 1962 and trained by the USAF at the beginning was a real plus. Nice to have you agree Al !

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by wmgeorge View Post
    Being an electrician since 1962 and trained by the USAF at the beginning was a real plus. Nice to have you agree Al !
    I qualified as a Electrician in the UK in 1960, went on to Industrial Electronics and a few other related avenues over the years, ended up with my own CNC retro-fit business here in Canada.
    Its been an Interesting ride!
    Al..

Albert E.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12