My local makerspace just picked up a Hobby laser from FS Laser and I took the time to set it up and quickly realized there is nothing to these machines. Then I started pricing parts on aliexpress... Then I came across using a RAMPS 1.4 board as a controller which I have lots of experience with after building 2 3d printers. So I've decided to jump right in.

So far I've ordered a laser tube and power supply. I have a spare RAMPS 1.4 /w a Arduino Mega, display, drivers, etc... I have NEMA17 steppers, pulleys and belts on hand. So I need mirrors, lens, water pump, exhaust blower, cabinet and linear guides.

I've been thinking about using SBR12 rails and bearings. Something like this:
SBR12 linear guide set : 1pc SBR12 1500mm linear rail guide + 2pcs SBR12 linear bearing block cnc router 3d printer cnc diy kit-in Linear Guides from Industry & Business on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

Will those work well? Seems simpler and cheaper than v-rail. One rail on either end of the cabinet and one on top and bottom of an extruded square tube for the gantry.

For the cabinet I'm thinking plywood laminated with heavy aluminium foil. I'm thinking the foil will diffuse the beam, spread heat and prevent fires.

Size wise I'd like to go for something like 24"x48" with the ability to feed full 4'x8' sheets through. But from what I read optics might be a problem, the further you get from the tube the bigger the mirrors and lens need to be as the beam spreads out. Is that a problem over these distances with the cheap 20mm mirrors I see on Aliexpress?

Another idea is moving bed. But that would limit the size of piece to be cut greatly and speed. This way I would only need one mirror which bounce the beam down to the lens.

I'm thinking I can 3d print nice tube, mirror and lens mounts. Adding features like air assist and power focus should be somewhat easy.

The goal is to see how cheaply I can build a useful laser cutter. I'd also like to gather components for a more powerful cutter down the road.