Hi Everyone,

This is my first post and I am hoping that you can help me make a couple of informed decisions before purchasing a new machine.

1. I know that the spot size of the laser tube increases with wattage and that a 40 watt tube will engrave better than a 100 watt tube. I know that a 100 watt tube will cut thicker materials cleaner and faster. My first intention of use will be mainly cutting and engraving on 3/4"(19mm) pine but I would like to also engrave on some other materials too. So my first question is how much less is the quality of engraving on a 100 or130 watt machine versus a 40 or 60 watt model? Could a high resolution lens on a 100 or130 watt machine engrave as fine as a standard lens on a 40 or 60 watt model?

2. Power control. Do you have less power control over a 100 to 130 watt machine than you do on a 40 or 60 watt model. Can I turn the power down low enough to engrave anodized aluminum or marble? Would an 80 watt model be a better compromise for engraving? Would 80 watts be enough to cut 3/4" pine or mdf boards in a single pass with good quality cuts?

3. Table size. I'm thinking a 36"x24" would suit my needs but I may go up a notch if a larger platform model would not be anymore difficult to keep aligned, adjusted and squared than a smaller machine. Do larger platforms cause more problems or need more maintenance? I am leaning more towards cutting and engraving wood products and such but I could compromise a little power for better engraving too. Your knowledge and experience would greatly help me find that happy range.

Thank you all so much in advance,

Gozzie