first laser

Thread: first laser

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default first laser

Im looking to get an inexpensive laser to mess around with and see if its something worth investing more time/money in. I do leather work and would mostly be using it for engraving though if it could cut too that would not be a bad thing.

I was looking at some of the 40w ebay ones and it seems like that might be a good first try. The small area it can engrave wouldnt really be much of a problem im just worried that the piece as a whole wont fit inside. Many of the things i would be doing would be a few smaller images over a larger piece so if that cant fit inside it kind of causes a problem. I came on this one too http://chinaplccenter.com/CNC/Engrav...raving-graphic . The fact that i can position this over the part i need the image on then move it to the next spot seems that it would work perfect.

I cant really find much on this unit other then the videos they have posted. Is it worth getting it in 1.6w? Also worried that this ting will be painfully slow. Im not trying to pump anything out but dont want to have to run it all night. Finally will the 1.6w be able to cut through anything or is it just going to engrave? The most i could see trying to cut would be some balsa wood or thin acrylic. i guess im really not sure what the difference is in the laser this uses and the co2 one in the other. Is the one on ebay really 38.4w stronger or is a different type and the watts work out differently?

thanks

Similar Threads:

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: first laser

The 40w ebay laser's (40 watt, 40 w, K40, dk40, DCKIII, etc.) are essentially all the same. The laser has a 30 watt or so tube in it but that said 30 watts does a good job for a lot of the hobby work. The machines are more bang for the buck (if you get one for under 600 (700 with air assist) US delivered) than any other entry level you could buy. Research the before mentioned models on this site for horror stories to great successes. Study those that had problems and see if you think you could troubleshoot similar problems yourself. Lasers in general require advanced thinking skills (pretty much not what you get in high school today) and you will need to to be able to operate and understand a volt ohmmeter, and have decent mechanical skills. Service and warranty are virtually non existent and you should be the sort that blames yourself for any and all shortcomings in the machine after it's on your doorstep or you will find yourself complaining about "these are crap". These are NOT a consumer machine in spite of the ebay descriptions. You are getting something that in a good commercial model would run $15,000 or more. Keep about 200 as a reserve to purchase possible needed replacement parts. Search thoroughly on here, get the best deal you can, If your lucky it will run right out of the box, know the dangers, adjust the mirrors and laser on! These are great fun and quickly become your go to tool. You will quickly run out of room and want a bigger work area. 30 watts properly setup is actually fine for the hobby speeds we run at.

You have to add air assist immediately else the smoke will ruin your lens within a few minutes unless you are etching glass or another smoke free material. Smoke on the mirrors or lens causes them to heat and burn and crack. The weakest part of the whole machine is the software. My favorite of them is LaserDRW and it still misses the mark by quit a bit. See $32 laser controller thread for a possible arduino solution.

The diode lasers are much more dangerous than the C02 laser to your eyesight than the CO2. You can't focus the invisible CO2 beam and it takes a while to burn into your eye where the diode visible beams will focus on your retina and burn it out in an instant. No second chances. I would not want an exposed diode laser operating where my eyes are even with glasses since even reflections bouncing around the room can be as powerful.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Im not apposed to building some sort of box to put it in if it will make it safer. Seems like a good idea anyways so i can vent the smoke better. The big selling point on it is that i can place it over the portion of the piece i need engraved. Im worried that ebay one wont be able to fit the total project inside. some of the leather i would be doing would be about 10x20in (not the size of the image im putting on it just total size). I dont mind have to upgrade parts. Im not an engineer but can do a reasonable amount of DIY if needed. I assume the open one has a way to show where the laser is going to be working for alignment.

Seems like i could get a dckIII shipped for $480 so its not out of what i would be willing to spend even if i need a few upgrades.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Paulwr View Post
    Im not apposed to building some sort of box to put it in if it will make it safer. Seems like a good idea anyways so i can vent the smoke better. The big selling point on it is that i can place it over the portion of the piece i need engraved. Im worried that ebay one wont be able to fit the total project inside. some of the leather i would be doing would be about 10x20in (not the size of the image im putting on it just total size). I dont mind have to upgrade parts. Im not an engineer but can do a reasonable amount of DIY if needed. I assume the open one has a way to show where the laser is going to be working for alignment.

Seems like i could get a dckIII shipped for $480 so its not out of what i would be willing to spend even if i need a few upgrades.
    Yes that would be an excellent price it's probably the Moshi software and I haven't used that or heard much good about it. If I was going to immediately upgrade to the AWC608 controller I would get that one. Otherwise I would try for the DRW one with the digital panel. One thing, other than air assist, these come ready to run with a decent exhaust fan, crap duct work (good enough to buy time until you get a proper aluminized dryer duct), water pump and hoses. When I get my S--- together I will offer a 3D printed adjustable Z bed kit and probably throw in a 3D printed air assist nozzle in the 20-30 range. I have it all done but need to install the latest version (I have the beta working but redesigned a for sale version) on my own machine and make pictures for the installation. It's not been high priority for me.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Think i might give the diode laser a try just based on my concern that the overall piece might not fit in the CO2. Thought about weather i could cut open the front of the CO2 lasers and put some kind of door on it so the bulk of it could fit out the front but didnt know what that would do to the overall performance of it. I found what looks like the same laser on ebay only in 2000mw. 2000mW Mini DIY Laser Engraving ENGRAVER Machine Laser Printer Marking Machine | eBay. It looks like The laser they have on it could be removed and a stronger one put on if needed later on. I plan the build some kind of box for it to sit in with a vent to help keep i contained while cutting. Any recommendations on what kind of material to use for a window on it or and what to line the bottom with?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Cutting on the cabinets (which I was thinking of doing myself) will effect their ability to hold alignment. If you permanently mount to a solid table then cutting would be fine.