How do I clean melted acrylic residue off engraving table?

Thread: How do I clean melted acrylic residue off engraving table?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default How do I clean melted acrylic residue off engraving table?

Lol, my title says it all. I'm a total engraver newbie, and was cutting a jig through a plexiglas sheet, and didn't know you had to raise the plexiglas off the engraving table (our laser salesperson didn't say it was needed ... he said I could cut it directly on the surface!) ... but now there's acrylic residue on the engraving table (the pieces were stuck to it, we had to kind of pry them off).

Can anyone reassure me that it'll be ok, and maybe let me know how to get it off? One suggestion I found online said lighter fluid would dissolve the acrylic, and I tried it but it didn't work. Are there other suggestions?

Thanks!

Lara

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: How do I clean melted acrylic residue off engraving table?

Lighter fluid is pretty benign stuff. I would soak in acetone myself.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thank you! I'm so worried about damaging the engraver, and I do this right off. I hope I never have to cut acrylic again, that's for sure ... that smell will haunt me (it was ok when it was running with the exhaust on, but when I opened the lid, yikes!). And then it was stuck down. Sigh. Not my day, engraver-wise. Luckily my bosses are very very nice. And they were there when the salesperson said I could cut it directly on the table.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Can you remove the table bed from the machine? If so I would recommend before using cleaning products, you don't want to start getting any residues on the lenses or mirrors.

Yes you should always try elevate it from the laser bed. The two most common forms are Honeycomb and knife table. I use knife wherever possible over honeycomb as this reduces the amount of "reflections" you can get from the underside off the honeycomb, sometimes resulting in marks. Honeycomb is useful for cutting or engravign small objects that would "fall through" a knife table.

Long story short, try to reduce the surface area in contact with the material

How do I clean melted acrylic residue off engraving table?-htb1rtpigxxxxxanapxxq6xxfxxxs-jpg

If you have a standard bed size you might be able to source one off ebay?

I routinely clean the knife table and laser bed (taking it out of the machine first). I just use some methylated spirits on a cloth and most of the residue just wipes away. Again avoid using any sprays or products that may leave a residue. (Isoprol would be more ideal but metho is a cheap alternative)

If there is actual plastic melted on the table, maybe using a heat gun to soften it? (again i would remove it from the machine first).

edit: in agreeance with underthetire, i believe acetone dissolves acrylics? I would use this for tough build-up

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Yes, acetone should dissolve it. I believe it's also recommended for cleaning your mirrors...or DNA

Both are available in the paint isle of the big box stores...