Are these units decent from Automation Technologies?

Thread: Are these units decent from Automation Technologies?

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Are these units decent from Automation Technologies?

I own two small desktop CNC routers, and I've gotten my hands dirt with electrical/mechanical stuff.
    I'm going to setup a third router soon, and want to sort of expand to other things whilst having fun along with justify it.
    Recently a connection of mine said he has $600 worth (a day of work I'm guessing) of small jewelry box hinges he needs cut from 1/8" hardwood and the place he goes to is 1.5 hours away so he'd like to find somebody closer.
    Since I don't mind a project (I'm 22 but don't spend my time like most my age), and want to mess around a bit would say this cheap 40 watt unit do the job? Hobby 40W CO2 LASER ENGRAVING CUTTING MACHINE ENGRAVER, Ship from USA | Automation Technology Inc
    I've heard the software isn't great, but I'm presuming to become dangerous, maybe make some money back, and etc it would suffice?
    Or is it utter garbage that shouldn't be touched?
    I'd appreciate your input since I've read a decent but I'm not sure what to think.

Similar Threads:
    Last edited by jm82792; 12-17-2014 at 08:23 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Are these units decent from Automation Technologies?

I read all of : http://www.cnczone.com/forums/genera...-software.html
    I'm kind of curious about that particular model since Automation Technologies seems to be a bar above some other companies.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Are these units decent from Automation Technologies?

My Laser from Ebay came with the same software, and is essentially the same unit. Plan for 450$ to upgrade to the light object controller, 200 for a PWM power supply, 100 for stepper drivers and power supply, and 100 for new mirrors when you burn through the garbage mirrors it comes with and youll have an awesome cutter. My gantry is out of square too so all my squares are parallelograms.

Those lasers are excellent for getting your feet wet and understanding what a laser cutter is for relatively cheap. I dont think they are usable out of the box though.