How do you engrave photos with k40 laser

Thread: How do you engrave photos with k40 laser

Downloads
    Uploads

Default How do you engrave photos with k40 laser

How do you engrave photos with k40 laser.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: How do you engrave photos with k40 laser

If you are using the Moshidraw software that came with it I don't know if you can or not. If you have upgraded to the DSP controller and LaserCad software from Lightobject (I very highly recommend that you do if you have not done it already) you can import raster images and then dither them and engrave. I have played with it just a little, but did not get great results. My files were not really the correct contrast or massaged with any image editing software and results would have been much better if they were. You should also be using a short focal length lens for a smaller focused dot for the best engraving. You can get that at lightobject also.

But if you really want good results engraving photos you should get Lasergrav which is designed specifically for doing this. Google lasergrav and you will find their web site with info. Also go to Welcome to LaserBits The World Leader In Laser Engravable Products and Training. they sell the software and also have a lot of laser materials.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I do photos on wood, stone, etc. I use Corel draw to refine my pictures before doing the engraving. There are several tutorials on the subject on You Tube. I also use a 25.4mm focus lens and very often refine the pictures to 1,000 dpi in Corel Draw. It is a tedious process, but is very rewarding when done right. I have a Chinese 40w machine, but mine has been upgraded with the DSP. Moshi will not be able to do pictures that are acceptable by any standard. I used the demos of the above programs, and I feel that I can get just as good results using Corel Draw. It just takes time to do it.

Milt

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi
    here are the steps from the so called goldmethode for preparing picture for lasering, it works perfect.
    greetings
    waltfl

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by mondo50m View Post
    I do photos on wood, stone, etc. I use Corel draw to refine my pictures before doing the engraving. There are several tutorials on the subject on You Tube. I also use a 25.4mm focus lens and very often refine the pictures to 1,000 dpi in Corel Draw. It is a tedious process, but is very rewarding when done right. I have a Chinese 40w machine, but mine has been upgraded with the DSP. Moshi will not be able to do pictures that are acceptable by any standard. I used the demos of the above programs, and I feel that I can get just as good results using Corel Draw. It just takes time to do it.

Milt
    I got Corel draw and I've managed to edit photos but how to I change the dpi. Also what software do you use to engrave as Corel draw is just for editing isn't it? I have laser draw which I have to open images in to engrave does this sound right

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by mondo50m View Post

Milt
    I got Corel draw and I've managed to edit photos but how to I change the dpi. Also what software do you use to engrave as Corel draw is just for editing isn't it? I have laser draw which I have to open images in to engrave does this sound right

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

You can change the DPI by converting the picture to a bitmap. On the toolbar, select bitmap and the convert to bitmap. You should then be able to change the DPI of the entire photo. Now, I usually change the contrast and brightness to suit what I am trying to do. After changing the DPI, and fooling with the contrast and brightness, under the bitmap selection, you select 'mode'' and then black and white 1 bit.' Now you need to select the type of conversion that you are going to use. I normally use 'Floyd-Steinberg.' Do a test print, and decide if you are satisfied with what you have. After a few prints you should be able to look at a photo and decide how much contrast and brightness that you want to use without having to run a test print. Usually, the print will look 'washed out' in Corel, but will print quite well. Play around and you will get the hang of it. The 'gold method" mentioned above is a great way to do it quickly and easily. I like to play around with things to see how they affect the overall outcome of the engraving.

Milt

Downloads
    Uploads

Can someone tell me what the gold method for lasering photos please I've tried various different ways and all seem to work ok for some photos and not work for others.

Downloads
    Uploads

Can someone please tell me the gold method I've tried various ways and some work and some don't but seems to vary a lot from image to image

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I believe that the Gold Method was originally developed for Photoshop. That being said, you can go to youtube and search for something like; how to engrave photos using coreldraw. This should get you a few good videos on the subject. Take notes and practice.

Milt

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Try thisAttachment 249644

Milt

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks been using a similar method that I've found on YouTube but wasn't aware I could Unsharp a couple of times so will try it and post how I get on. What is the best type of wood to use as the best I can find is birch plywood

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

hi
    it depends what you wana do overall, birch does not give you a good color on engraving but its easy to cut.
    I personal prefer any darker wood with pretty grains, for good engraving to show up I use poplar, cherry, mahogany.
    greetings
    waltfl

Downloads
    Uploads

Any idea what speed to use on the K40 (mm per sec?) when photo engraving?