Hello everyone, after spending quite a bit of time on Google searches, I finally decided to see if I could find a laser/machining forum out there, and here is where I arrived. To start things off, I feel as if I have a pretty simple question and the solution is even easier. Here we go:

We currently have a Mazak SpaceGear 48 MK II laser for all of our pipe/tube/flat cutting, but that is irrelevant. Here is our problem. Right now the engineering department programs all the items that get cut on the laser, and when we are done we load up a compact flash card with all the new programs on it. From there we take it down to the laser and they upload the files from the flash card. This process can take quite awhile. Especially if there is a HOT/RUSH job and we need to shut down during the middle of the day. It can easily take over a half hour to do this.

What I am wondering is if there is a way to link our laser up to the network and give them access to the laser programming drive on our server(and only that drive) and be able to program parts and put them into that drive (or a folder in that drive) and the program is available instantly WITHOUT having to shut down.

I am capable of making only the programming drive available, the only thing I need help with is how exactly to get the laser set-up to read and be able to get those files WITHOUT having to shut down. We are using mazak smart system for flat and space Gear for all the pipe and fittings we cut.

If anyone has any insight on this please help!!! Thanks in advance

Matt Brehmer
Stainless Flow Technologies Inc.