New DIY machine, simple BOB, Steppers lock but dont respond to controller/drivers?

Thread: New DIY machine, simple BOB, Steppers lock but dont respond to controller/drivers?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default New DIY machine, simple BOB, Steppers lock but dont respond to controller/drivers?

Hello,

I built my first/new CO2 cutter, mostly with components from lightobject.com

My 3 phase, 3 wire XLE steppers lock up when the system is powered up but do not move when a command is sent.

I am running linuxCNC with the buildlog 2x laser GUI - modified for my steppers and pinout - still working a few bugs out.
    To confirm that it is not an issue with linuxCNC I setup a dual boot and Mach3, Mech3 has the same result - lock and no movement.

I used a simple BOB: 5 Axis Break-Out Board for CNC Stepping motor. Support Mach3 and Kcam

For Drivers: 3MD560 Leadshine 3 Phase 8.4A 1-axis Stepping Motor Driver

The BOB appears to be functioning properly and sending an appropriate signal. See the attached BOB-Driver wiring diagram.

It is my understanding that the 3 wire steppers can be wired in any combination to the U,V,W outputs from the driver - is this not correct?

Any Ideas?

Thanks,
    Travis

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New DIY machine, simple BOB, Steppers lock but dont respond to controller/drivers?-v5-wiring-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: New DIY machine, simple BOB, Steppers lock but dont respond to controller/drivers

A 3 phase motor will run in the other direction if you reverse any two wires, but it will run.

In your picture you dont have the enable +- hooked up, this maybe needed to make the motor run, all depends on the signal it needs, if its high pulse or low pulse.
    Hook up ena+ to the bob ena+ and the ena- to ground and try it again.

If you setup your inputs in mach3 then you need to do other things in order to make it run the drive motors.
    In mach3 theres an option to emulate the Estop, bypassing it for testing, if you dont have a jumper from the Estop to ground on your bob you may need to do it in software.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: New DIY machine, simple BOB, Steppers lock but dont respond to controller/drivers

cgo,

Thanks for the input, Marco at lightobject did not think I needed to hookup the enable, but I will give it a shot.

I did not know about the Estop Emulate in mach3 - I don't have a jumper on the board, I will look at the software and see if I can find it.

T

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I use linuxcnc myself, its been a while but I believe its on the IO page, just a check mark.

Easier to run a jumper until you hookup an Estop switch, plus the jumper will work with all software.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

cgo,

I tried enable with no change and tried mach3 estop emulator with no luck.
    I ran across a old thread:
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/genera...EMC2%20ubuntu=
    Seems that this may be the issue - I did not know to change the stepper type when I modified the buildlog .hal file
    I have changed it to type 3 but now I get the following debug info when linuxCNC now fails to initilize:

Print file information:
    RUN_IN_PLACE=no
    LINUXCNC_DIR=
    LINUXCNC_BIN_DIR=/usr/bin
    LINUXCNC_TCL_DIR=/usr/lib/tcltk/linuxcnc
    LINUXCNC_SCRIPT_DIR=
    LINUXCNC_RTLIB_DIR=/usr/realtime-2.6.32-122-rtai/modules/linuxcnc
    LINUXCNC_CONFIG_DIR=
    LINUXCNC_LANG_DIR=/usr/share/linuxcnc/tcl/msgs
    INIVAR=inivar
    HALCMD=halcmd
    LINUXCNC_EMCSH=/usr/bin/wish8.5
    LINUXCNC - 2.5.4
    Machine configuration directory is '/home/cnc1/linuxcnc/configs/2x_laser'
    Machine configuration file is '2x_Laser.ini'
    INIFILE=/home/cnc1/linuxcnc/configs/2x_laser/2x_Laser.ini
    PARAMETER_FILE=emc.var
    TASK=milltask
    HALUI=halui
    DISPLAY=axis
    Starting LinuxCNC...
    Starting LinuxCNC server program: linuxcncsvr
    Loading Real Time OS, RTAPI, and HAL_LIB modules
    Starting LinuxCNC IO program: io
    emc/iotask/ioControl.cc 752: can't load tool table.
    Starting HAL User Interface program: halui
    Shutting down and cleaning up LinuxCNC...
    Killing task linuxcncsvr, PID=1590
    Removing HAL_LIB, RTAPI, and Real Time OS modules
    Removing NML shared memory segments
    Cleanup done

Debug file information:
    Can not find -sec MOT -var MOT -num 1
    Can not find -sec IO -var IO -num 1
    Can not find -sec LINUXCNC -var NML_FILE -num 1
    2x_Laser.hal:83: parameter or pin 'stepgen.0.stepspace' not found
    PID TTY STAT TIME COMMAND
    Stopping realtime threads
    Unloading hal components

Kernel message information:
    [ 485.350267] I-pipe: Domain RTAI registered.
    [ 485.350277] RTAI[hal]: <3.8.1> mounted over IPIPE-NOTHREADS 2.6-03.
    [ 485.350280] RTAI[hal]: compiled with gcc version 4.4.3 (Ubuntu 4.4.3-4ubuntu5) .
    [ 485.350287] RTAI[hal]: mounted (IPIPE-NOTHREADS, IMMEDIATE (INTERNAL IRQs DISPATCHED), ISOL_CPUS_MASK: 0).
    [ 485.350290] PIPELINE layers:
    [ 485.350294] f8f31e20 9ac15d93 RTAI 200
    [ 485.350297] c085cb20 0 Linux 100
    [ 485.408654] RTAI[malloc]: global heap size = 2097152 bytes, .
    [ 485.410779] RTAI[sched]: IMMEDIATE, MP, USER/KERNEL SPACE: , kstacks pool size = 524288 bytes.
    [ 485.410787] RTAI[sched]: hard timer type/freq = APIC/12468720(Hz); default timing: periodic; linear timed lists.
    [ 485.410791] RTAI[sched]: Linux timer freq = 250 (Hz), TimeBase freq = 2992462000 hz.
    [ 485.410794] RTAI[sched]: timer setup = 999 ns, resched latency = 2944 ns.
    [ 485.413020] RTAI[usi]: enabled.
    [ 485.556095] RTAI[math]: loaded.
    [ 485.840410] config string '0x378 out'
    [ 487.029203] RTAI[math]: unloaded.
    [ 487.107209] SCHED releases registered named ALIEN RTGLBH
    [ 487.120331] RTAI[malloc]: unloaded.
    [ 487.220029] RTAI[sched]: unloaded (forced hard/soft/hard transitions: traps 0, syscalls 0).
    [ 487.228768] I-pipe: Domain RTAI unregistered.
    [ 487.228780] RTAI[hal]: unmounted.

My apologizes for my ignorance with linuxCNC, thank you for your help.
    T

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

You may want to post at linuxcnc.org if you have a config problem , not being able to see your setup I am not going to be able to help much.
    Although linuxcnc is not as easy to setup, from my results I found its performance can be superior to any windows based software.
    Mach3 was pretty easy to setup, the stepper setup pages must be right or its not going to work. Also look at the troubleshooting page for errors.

I found this but you may already have it, http://leadshine.com/UploadFile/Down/3MD560m.pdf

Looks like these 3 phase drivers are made to directly replace any standard 2 phase stepper, no need for any extra setup.
    Also it says they are enabled by default so "ena" is optional on these drivers, I like to use them on my drivers.

The only thing left I can see is pulse high/low which would be how you wired the bob to driver (theres a picture of a typical setup in the pdf), or config/ini in software.
    A simple LED and dropping resistor could be built to watch your bob outputs or if you have an oscilloscope you could check them while running commands in software.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

cgo,

I just posted on the linuxCNC forum. I think it is down to the proper formatting for the 3 phase step control, I am trying:

net xstep <= stepgen.0.phase-A
    net xstep <= stepgen.0.phase-B
    net xstep <= stepgen.0.phase-C

but it errors out as linuxCNC initializes.

The error is as follows:
    "Signal 'xstep' can not add OUT pin 'stepgen.0.phase-B', it already has OUT pin 'stepgen.0.phase-A'

I initially played around with mach3 but came to the same conclusion - that linuxCNC is worth the setup effort.

I did find the 3MD560.pdf - I missed the direct replacement for 2 Phase though - that may very well be one of my problems.

I wired mine as a common cathode, I will check the file for this.

Thanks again cgo,
    Travis