Linux Printer Driver for Laser Engraving

Thread: Linux Printer Driver for Laser Engraving

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Linux Printer Driver for Laser Engraving

1) Are there any Linux based printer drivers for any laser engraving machines?

2) If not is any one else out there interested in this?

3) Which laser machines?

Similar Threads:

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Linux Printer Driver for Laser Engraving

I use to work at IBM/Lexmark several years ago on OS2 printer and Win NT printer drivers.
    I have been thinking about writing some open source linux drivers (GPL or BSD style license).

I figure it could take a man year or two to write a good open source driver.
    To invest this much time, I would need a source of income.
    So I was thinking about KickStarter with "donations" starting around $25 to $50.
    Yes it would be a "risky" investment, but you can blow that much on dinner in one night.
    Right now I am just testing the waters and sanity checking myself.

What are your thoughts?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I was thinking about funding the development in time blocks, starting off with a 6 month develpment cycle and adding 3 month blocks each time funding passed a certain level.

Unfortunately, most people reading this forum probably want Windows drivers not Linux drivers.

I might consider doing open source for Microsoft$, but it just does not feel right.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Wow, still no comments, with 80+ views of this thread.

I guess no one is interested in Linux or even open source Windows drivers.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by twk View Post
    I guess no one is interested to pay for open source driver.

CNC lasers, constructions, service

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I think you will find many are quite interested but would like to know what software are you like to operate from and the hardware options.
    If we could get some better plug-ins for Inkscape and a smaller and cheaper Laos/Arduino controller board. Looking at the present schematic it appears that it could be drastically reduced in size and therefore cheaper.
    If everything was available in the US the shipping charges would much less.
    Just my two cents worth.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Here is one of the reasons I prefer to develop for Linux vs Microsoft:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/wind...f-support.aspx

=============================
    What is end of support?

After 12 years, support for Windows XP will end on April 8, 2014. There will be no more security updates or technical support for the Windows XP operating system. It is very important that customers and partners migrate to a modern operating system such as Windows 8.1. Customers moving to a modern operating system will benefit from dramatically enhanced security, broad device choice for a mobile workforce, higher user productivity, and a lower total cost of ownership through improved management capabilities.

What does this mean?

It means you should take action. After April 8, 2014, Microsoft will no longer provide security updates or technical support for Windows XP. Security updates patch vulnerabilities that may be exploited by malware and help keep users and their data safer. PCs running Windows XP after April 8, 2014, should not be considered to be protected, and it is important that you migrate to a current supported operating system – such as Windows 8.1 – so you can receive regular security updates to protect their computer from malicious attacks.

Potential risks of staying with Windows XP

Running Windows XP SP3 in your environment after April 8, 2014 may expose you to potential risks, such as:
    Security:

Without critical Windows XP security updates, your PC may become vulnerable to harmful viruses, spyware, and other malicious software which can steal or damage your business data and information. Anti-virus software will also not be able to fully protect you once Windows XP itself is unsupported.
    Compliance:

Businesses that are governed by regulatory obligations such as HIPAA may find that they are no longer able to satisfy compliance requirements. More information on HHS’s view on the security requirements for information systems that contain electronic protected health information (e-PHI) can be found here (HHS HIPAA FAQ - Security Rule).
    Lack of Independent Software Vendor (ISV) Support:

Many software vendors will no longer support their products running on Windows XP as they are unable to receive Windows XP updates. For example, the new Office takes advantage of the modern Windows and will not run on Windows XP.
    Hardware Manufacturer support:

Most PC hardware manufacturers will stop supporting Windows XP on existing and new hardware. This will also mean that drivers required to run Windows XP on new hardware may not be available.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by cinematic2 View Post
    I guess no one is interested to pay for open source driver.

I guess you would rather spend money on Software and Hardware upgrades when ever Microsoft decides to end support for your version of Windows.

================================================== ======
    By-the-way Windows 7 "End of mainstream support" January 13, 2015

Windows lifecycle fact sheet - Microsoft Windows Help

================================================== ======
    This what microsoft says to do when your OS (XP) reaches end of life

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/wind...f-support.aspx

How do I migrate off Windows XP?

Small to Medium Business:

There are many options for small and medium businesses considering moving to a modern PC with the latest productivity and collaboration tools. Small to mid-size organizations (<500 employees) should locate a Microsoft Certified Partner to understand the best options to meet their business needs. If your current PC meets the system requirements for Windows 7 or Windows 8.1, you can buy Windows 7 Professional or Windows 8.1 Pro from a local retailer or Microsoft Certified Partner. If your PC does not meet system requirements, consider purchasing a new business PC with Windows 8.1 Pro.

Home PC Users:

To stay protected after support ends, you have some options. The first option is to upgrade your current PC. Very few older computers will be able to run Windows 8.1, which is the latest version of Windows. We recommend that you download and run the Windows Upgrade Assistant to check if your PC meets the system requirements for Windows 8.1 and then follow the steps in the tutorial to upgrade if your PC is able. For more detailed information, read the FAQ. You can also purchase a new PC. If your current PC can't run Windows 8.1, it might be time to consider shopping for a new one. Be sure to explore our great selection of new PCs. They're more powerful, light weight, and stylish than ever before—and with an average price that's considerably less expensive than the average PC was 10 years ago.

================================================== =
    With Linux there is no issue with updates being free.
    Most of the code is open source and always available.
    Also the software is not locked to a particular computer,
    so you can move your software from one machine to another.
    Or install it on two or three or four or ... machines.

Migration is not nearly as easy to do with a Windows based machine.
    Each machine requires its own license for Windows and most of the applications.
    Many of the applications cost a fair amount of money and may require more money to buy ?upgrades? to the new operating system.

What about all of the CNC machines out there that require PC drivers.
    What if the CNC manufactuer goes out of business or decides not to support your hardware any more.

Note: I have a old scanner, which is not a CNC machine, but still is a good example.
    The drivers for the scanner run on 2000 and XP but no drivers were written for the newer verions of Windows.
    Now I have a scanner that I will soon only be able to use as a boat anchor.
    What about those $1,000, $5,000, $10,000 CNC machines, laser engravers etc. that are PC controlled and require some type of Windows driver?
    What happens when there are no new drivers for these?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Rolf_K View Post
    I think you will find many are quite interested but would like to know what software are you like to operate from and the hardware options.
    If we could get some better plug-ins for Inkscape and a smaller and cheaper Laos/Arduino controller board. Looking at the present schematic it appears that it could be drastically reduced in size and therefore cheaper.
    If everything was available in the US the shipping charges would much less.
    Just my two cents worth.
    I like this idea, since Inkscape is open source and LAOS is open hardware.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

It's too bad there are so few responses in this thread. I would love to have Linux drivers, and would gladly pay for them. It's too bad all the big companies only develop for windows. =(

Downloads
    Uploads

What is the problem? Call Leetro and they will make you Linux version.
    I was told that they can start workind with 10k $.

CNC lasers, constructions, service

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I was thinking about funding the development in time blocks, starting off with a 6 month develpment cycle and adding 3 month blocks each time funding passed a certain level.

Unfortunately, most people reading this forum probably want Windows drivers not Linux drivers.

I might consider doing open source for Microsoft$, but it just does not feel right.
    I decided to go with Laos an European developed completely open architecture system, printed circuit boards available at the very reasonable cost.
    Some links:
    Webshop | TuxIC
    HPC LS3020 Laser Cutter - Fablab NB + JL - JeeLabs . net
    Assembling the LAOS electronics boards - LAOS Laser - LAOS - Laser Open Source

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Rahken View Post
    It's too bad there are so few responses in this thread. I would love to have Linux drivers, and would gladly pay for them. It's too bad all the big companies only develop for windows. =(
    It would be nice if the big companies would help fund an open source initiative.

What type of Laser do you have?
    I assume you have some type of Windows driver for the laser.

Does the Laser engraver have a "pseudo" printer driver?
    By this, I mean can you print to the Laser from any application?

A super/great programmer might be able to do a Linux driver in their spare time.

An average programmer like myself would have to spend almost full time
    on this for several/many months to write the first good laser engraver driver.

I would look at some of the open source linux printer drivers as a starting point, like:
    inkjet, laser, and plotters.
    I would then have to figure out what command language the laser speaks,
    GCode or maybe something that looks similar to PCL or PostScript.
    Hopefully the manufacturer would help out with this task.

Eventually I would have to buy or get a loaner Laser Engraving Machine for testing purposes.

Last edited by twk; 04-16-2014 at 08:05 PM. Reason: fixed spelling

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

What type of Laser do you have?
    -6090usb from IEHK
    Does the Laser engraver have a "pseudo" printer driver?
    -No, the AWC608C controller only seems to work from LaserCAD. I haven't been able to find any drivers that allow me to print from an application.

-Rahken

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I would look at some of the open source linux printer drivers as a starting point, like:
    inkjet, laser, and plotters.
    I would then have to figure out what command language the laser speaks,
    GCode or maybe something that looks similar to PCL or PostScript.
    Hopefully the manufacturer would help out with this task.
    It looks like the LAOS folks have already gone down this path.

LAOS CUPS driver - LAOS Laser - LAOS - Laser Open Source

LAOS CUPS driver

This page describes the CUPS printer driver installation.

How it works

The printer driver translates standard Postscript into LAOS codes.
    This is done in the following steps

Application generates a postscript file (by pressing print)
    The printer dialog shows the configuration dialog based on PPD. The user selects the appropriate settings
    Postscript printer data captured in file, along with the selected settings
    File is received by the LaOS cups printer driver.
    LaOS cups printer driver uses pstoedit to convert the file into LaOS SimpleCode
    LaOS cups printer driver transfers the file to the laser cutter using the TFTP protocol

This printer driver is specific to the LAOS controller but would be a good starting point for other laser printer drivers.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by cinematic2 View Post
    What is the problem? Call Leetro and they will make you Linux version.
    I was told that they can start workind with 10k $.
    Well it has been almost 2 years and still no Linux printer drivers for laser engraving.

Will Leetro make an open source printer driver?
    I am guessing no.

Downloads
    Uploads

Well it has been almost 2 years and still no Linux printer drivers for laser engraving.

Will Leetro make an open source printer driver?
    I am guessing no.
    how will you go about coding a driver that will work for most manufacturers?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

i can see how you could write a driver for one type of machine, but I suspect every manufacturer has their own protocols and commands and different usb interfacing method.
    m
    My cheap Chinese machine enumerates on USB as virtual serial device, but I doubt they all do this.

I have no idea of what protocol or command structure mine uses.

I suspect that just to get one specific machine working you would need to reverse engineer the protocol, which would be very time consuming.

Even if you write a driver, I'm not sure where this gets you... What software would you use to generate the data to send to the laser cutter?

Would your driver work with all Linux CAD packages, or just one ?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

>>Would your driver work with all Linux CAD packages, or just one ?
    If it is designed like a regular printer driver, you should be able to use any application that supports printing.
    Raster printing (think ink dots on paper) would be short bursts of laser light, this would be laser engraving.
    Vector graphics printing (think continuous lines like using a pen plotter) is just continuous laser light, which results in laser cutting.
    This may be a little simplistic but it does get the idea across.

>>I suspect that just to get one specific machine working
    >> you would need to reverse engineer the protocol, which would be very time consuming.
    Yes you will need different drivers for different machines, but once you write one driver the other drivers will follow more quickly.

Since I am recommending open source, then anyone can look at the source and create more drivers for other machines. Hopefully the machine manufactures eventually jump on board and also start writing drivers or at least help the open source community write the drivers.
    Maybe the drivers can even be constructed so that different manufactures can add their own hidden proprietary extensions to keep them happy.

This reminds me of the early days of printer drivers. I use to work on printer drivers about 15 years ago. I am a little rusty but I do know the basic concepts.

I believe in making the code open source so no individual or company owns the software but I probably would have to have some kind of income to be able to work on this. In other words, I might have to quit my day job to pursue this.

Hence in an earlier post (about 2 years ago) I asked what people thought about a kickstarter type project, but there was not enough interest to even start the process.