Build Thread Upgrading a K40 moshidraw machine to DSp

Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Upgrading a K40 moshidraw machine to DSp

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Upgrading a K40 moshidraw machine to DSp

So I want to upgrade my k40 laser to a DSP Controller AWC608 Laser Engraving and Cutting Control System for Co2 Laser
    What do i need? I have read that i need a new power supply and step motors? How hard is it to change this stuff out?
    Thank you for the help.

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Upgrading a K40 moshidraw machine to DSp

Scott
    please check if your machine has drivers?
    if not, then you will need 2 (stepper) drivers for replacing the controller.
    and the wiring will be some or less complicated,
    so are you skillful with wiring?

www.thunderlaser.com

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Scottbgv View Post
    So I want to upgrade my k40 laser to a DSP Controller AWC608 Laser Engraving and Cutting Control System for Co2 Laser
    What do i need? I have read that i need a new power supply and step motors? How hard is it to change this stuff out?
    Thank you for the help.
    There should be no reason for changing anything but the controller itself. As for the difficulty that is difficult to answer because you don't supply us with any information about your skills levels or experience.
    I am posting the following information to increase awareness of open an architecture controller developed in Europe, it is called LAOS. The unit is USB controlled and allows you to cut from free software namely Visicut or Inkscape
    You can find more information here:
    Wiki - LAOS Laser - LAOS - Laser Open Source
    Webshop | TuxIC
    HPC LS3020 Laser Cutter - Fablab NB + JL - JeeLabs . net On this website you will find the PDF file next to the bottom for the schematic.

As you see in the one of above links, the controller can be purchased as a bare board or as assembled unit.
    I have the necessary skills, so in order to save a few bucks I bought the bare main board. I will do the display/joystick controller later. It is going to control my 50 W Chinese laser cutter of unknown name and origin.
    It looks like the total cost is right at $150.00 :-)

It seems to me that this controller could also be used for many other type of CNC machines.

Upgrading a K40 moshidraw machine to DSp-20140319_121112-jpg

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I am so new to this,,,I think I can handle the wiring. Can wire a car stereo. Just checking but this is stepper right? Upgrading a K40 moshidraw machine to DSp-cam01545-jpg

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Upgrading a K40 moshidraw machine to DSp-cam01546-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I have done the upgrade. I bought the kit from LightObject. I can not say for sure, but it looks like the power supply that you have in your unit is compatible with PWM. Everything else is included in the upgrade kit; DSP upgrade kit for D/K40 small machine. It is not really difficult to do. Many on this forum have already done it.

Milt

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

do i have to have everything in that kit? or can i just buy the dsp part ?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I would go for everything. You really do need the power supply for the steppers, stepper controllers, DSP (of course). The other 3 parts are not ABSOLUTELY necessary, but they are nice to have. In addition you will need the laser power supply if yours is not PWM compatible, but it looks like it is. I would wait and see if there are any more comments on the power supply. Many users here can help with the conversion.

Milt

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thank you.I really dont have that much to invest right now. There is no way I could just buy the DSP and upgrade everything else at a latter date?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

The DSP requires the stepper drivers and the power supply for the DSP and upgraded steppers. If you could buy just the DSP, it would not work until all of the other parts were purchased. I do not even think (could be wrong) that Marco (lightobject) would sell just the DSP without the other components. But, you could always email him and ask.

Milt

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

How easy is the program to work with? Do I need to dumb the images down to work with like Moshi?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Not at all. Having a DSP allows you to define the paths for cutting and engraving at the same time. All of the power is controlled by colors. As an example: you designate the color red to be engraving and you also tell it what power and speed you want red to engrave at. Of course, this can be done with any of the available colors. Cutting is done the same way, designate a color, speed and power. I have used as many as 8 colors on one session, all with their own speed and power and whether it is to be engraved or cut. Download the file to the machine via USB, set your origin and then hit start. Everything you have set up will be worked until it is finished or you stop it. The above is a VERY basic example of what can be done with a DSP. It will turn your DK40 into a completely different machine. For all of the pros here, If I have said anything out of order or untrue in the above example, please feel free give me a hard time. I am a not a NEW user, but I only 'hobby' with my machine.

Milt

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

So do I need a different Power supply? Do I need to take a better picture of it so someone can tell? Does this power supply power the dsp or does the dsp have its own? Sorry I have a lot of questions.He does sell the dsp separate. So can I just buy that and the stepper controls? Really want to make this work if possible.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Try to take a picture of the front of the power supply. There should be 2 power supplies in the DK40. The large one in the middle of the electronics bay is for the Laser Tube. It MUST be PWM capable in order to power the Laser tube when you convert to a DSP. If it is not PWM capable, then you must replace it, in addition to the one in the DSP kit. Then there should be another one that is much smaller power supply off to the side. When you buy the conversion kit, you will get a power supply to replace the small one that should be off to the left of the electronics bay. That one is used to power the moshi board that you are eliminating. The one you get with the kit is for powering the steppers, stepper drivers, and the DSP. Look at your laser power supply. In particular, the electrical connector on the left front of the supply. There should be a green connector on there. If it is labeled; "TH TL WP G IN 5V', then your laser tube supply is PWM (pulse width modulation) capable. Mine came with the correct supply, maybe yours is to. If it is, then you HAVE to have from the kit, the power supply, DSP, and stepper drivers. Hope this helps clear things up a little more. Going to Daytona for the day, so will not be back until later. Just looked at the picture you submitted at the beginning of this thread, it really looks like you already have the proper laser tube power supply. That will save you around $200.00 not having to replace that supply. Good luck, will be back later to check any new posts.

Milt

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

here is the one power supply Attachment 230038

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

here is the power supply
    Upgrading a K40 moshidraw machine to DSp-cam01546-jpg

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I am sorry i posted the wrong pictureUpgrading a K40 moshidraw machine to DSp-cam01550-jpg

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Here is the other and its labeled right
    Upgrading a K40 moshidraw machine to DSp-cam01551-jpg
    So is all I need the DSP and the stepper drivers? I found the link some ones pdf that they made rebuilding one of these. I am certain I can do it If that is all the parts I need. I am going to order them on Monday.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

The picture of the power supply that you just sent is the laser tube power supply. It is PWM compatible. You still need to have the power supply that is in the parts list, but not in the picture on the light object website as that supply is the one to replace the one on the left of the picture that you just sent. The large supply is for the Laser only! There are 2 power supplies in the electronics compartment of the laser machine. One for the tube and one for the Moshi board. The Moshi board contains the stepper drivers used by Moshi and is supplied power with the supply that is on the left of the compartment. Your are going to replace the Moshi board and its related power supply for the board, not the laser tube. When you get the upgrade, the steppers drivers and the DSP require a higher amperage capable power supply to run them. So, as stated, you will need to get three of the parts from the kit---the power supply (not for the laser tube power, but for the stepper drivers and DSP), the DSP, and the 2 stepper drivers. Look at the list of parts on the website and you will see that you need the 24v 5a power supply, 2 stepper drivers and the DSP unit. The total for these 3 parts should be about $500.00. The other parts in the kit are nice to have and eventually you will probably be getting them. I was glad that I got the whole kit from the get go, then I could do the whole conversion at one time and be done with it. But, that is up to you. I certainly understand how coming up with the money is difficult. I had to save for about 4 months to get mine. But it is best to do it right the first time.

Milt

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I posted two pics there is another pic above the one

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Upgrading a K40 moshidraw machine to DSp-cam01546-jpg

This is the picture you included in your post. In the yellow square is the power supply that you will need to replace when you upgrade to the DSP. The power supply in the red box is the laser power supply, which is PWM compatible.

Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast