Laser safety via perspex viewing window

Thread: Laser safety via perspex viewing window

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Laser safety via perspex viewing window

I've recently bought a cheapo chinese 40W CO2 laser from eBay - the sort that go for around £450 delivered from in-country source. It came with 7 sides of A4 of... basically nothing of real information, and two software packages - CorelLaser and LaserDrw, both of which matched my limited expectations, but I'm slowly getting used to them.

Anyway, nothing discussed the laser safety. There's no mechanical interlock and I've surprised myself once or twice with inadvertenty starting a cut with the lid open - I'm convinced now to add a microswitch interlock.

BUT: The machine was delivered with a large viewing window, covered with clear 2mm perspex, and with a self-adhesive paper backing sheet. I've removed that backing sheet, and whilst I can still see fine, I'm wondering about how safe it actually is to use the viewing window whilst the machine is in operation - like I said - 2mm clear perspex.

There's no warning on the machine... but I'm not using the absence of the warning as testament to the operational safety of this.

I've spent a lot on my eyes over the years, I don't want to bugger them up now - anyone have any sound advice?

Mike

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Laser safety via perspex viewing window

You are safe behind plastic and glass as the IR can go through it.

Thank You,
    Paul G

Check out-
    [URL="http://www.signs101.com"]www.signs101.com[/URL]

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Mike,
    there is a protective glasses ,which can help you
    Laser safety via perspex viewing window-googles-jpg

Best Regards

Quote Originally Posted by Doddy View Post
    I've recently bought a cheapo chinese 40W CO2 laser from eBay - the sort that go for around £450 delivered from in-country source. It came with 7 sides of A4 of... basically nothing of real information, and two software packages - CorelLaser and LaserDrw, both of which matched my limited expectations, but I'm slowly getting used to them.

Anyway, nothing discussed the laser safety. There's no mechanical interlock and I've surprised myself once or twice with inadvertenty starting a cut with the lid open - I'm convinced now to add a microswitch interlock.

BUT: The machine was delivered with a large viewing window, covered with clear 2mm perspex, and with a self-adhesive paper backing sheet. I've removed that backing sheet, and whilst I can still see fine, I'm wondering about how safe it actually is to use the viewing window whilst the machine is in operation - like I said - 2mm clear perspex.

There's no warning on the machine... but I'm not using the absence of the warning as testament to the operational safety of this.

I've spent a lot on my eyes over the years, I don't want to bugger them up now - anyone have any sound advice?

Mike

Lucy Lee G.WEIKE LASER
    han@wklaser.com

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Both acrylic (the window) and polycarbonate (basic safety glasses) are opaque to the IR from a co2 laser and will protect your eyes. I still bought some laser specific glasses though, just because I'm paranoid!

Downloads
    Uploads

Vision damage can occur from directly viewing the laser source or if the laser beam hits the eye. Damage is usually severe, and may result in blindness, which is why direct viewing of the laser source and its reflections should be avoided. You must have to wear laser safety goggles when operating laser cutting machine. If you want more information about laser safety, just check out this once Laser Safety Basics - Quick Tips '#'127 - Grainger Industrial Supply

www.ajancnc.com