Newbie what is the purpose of air assist for co2 laser?

Thread: what is the purpose of air assist for co2 laser?

Downloads
    Uploads

Default what is the purpose of air assist for co2 laser?

Hi all Does anyone know what kind of role does air assist play in co2 laser cutting? does it help to increase the power of laser as the air pressure increase? If this is the case I am thinking to get a smaller nozzle hole but I can't find one smaller than what I have which is about 2 mm, so I come out a new idea, getting another air pump. can someone tell me if I am even right about air pressure.

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

co2 laser cutting of WHAT? Plastics, wood or steel?
    Purpose is different.
    For small power laser machines there are:
    - cleaning workspace from dust and smoke
    - keeping dust far from lense.

CNC lasers, constructions, service

Downloads
    Uploads

To cut plywood and also plastic. Thanks Cimematic

thunderlaser

Hi, i have a laser machine that it was install a 10mm air assist nozzle play in co2 laser cutting. that is great for help to the laser to works when it need to cutting or engraving. it does not increase the power of the laser as the air pressure, but it will can cleaning the surface of materials when the laser cutting or engraving, also blow smoke away. if you uses a smaller nozzle hole to install the laser, it will might be not able to cleaning the dust or smoke far from the surface of the materials. at the same time, please use a even bigger air pipe to blow it, it also can effect with the air pressure.
    If you want to cutting the plywood and plastic, what is the thickness of both, if they are the thickness of more than 10mm, i suggest that you should used a air compressor to do that. if not, it will burned out when the laser is working. if you can make a good result and also not catch fire, that is say you already get a right air pressure.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi ,

Air assistant aims no fire while cutting and end up with a better clear accurate engraving job .

Regards,
    Mary

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: what is the purpose of air assist for co2 laser?

Quote Originally Posted by zhouxiaohua View Post
    Hi all Does anyone know what kind of role does air assist play in co2 laser cutting? does it help to increase the power of laser as the air pressure increase? If this is the case I am thinking to get a smaller nozzle hole but I can't find one smaller than what I have which is about 2 mm, so I come out a new idea, getting another air pump. can someone tell me if I am even right about air pressure.
    I'm no expert but I've been delving into inexpensive laser cutting systems just this week. What I've discovered is that the air assist simply moves the volatile smoke away from the cut to prevent flareups, especially with wood. Additionally, it prevents the smoke from going straight up and getting in the way of the laser beam at the cutting head.

While air assist will not increase power, smoke in the laser beam between the laser tube and the workpiece can diminish power considerably.