Laser engraving with CamBam/Mach3

Thread: Laser engraving with CamBam/Mach3

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Laser engraving with CamBam/Mach3

Is there a forum out there of folks using CamBam/Mach3 for laser engraving? Specifically, I'm trying to figure out how to get the laser to engrave the insides of the fonts as well as the outline. Maybe this is too dumb a question, but any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Similar Threads:

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I'm not sure there's a forum for exactly that, but I use this setup. You could try creating a polyline outline of the letters and persuading CamBam to do a pocket operation with the tool diameter set to the laser kerf (about 0.2mm for me). I think there are some hatch operations that might work too.

There's also a Mach3 plugin for raster engraving that might work for you. One limit of using Mach3 is that raster stuff is harder.

I'd suggest looking for more info on the Mach3 and CamBam forums.

Downloads
    Uploads

The result of the Cambam pocket operation really isn't a raster type cut. its really a series of vector cuts equal to the stepover amount. You need to specify a beam diameter and play with the stepover. I would think this cut would require considerable cleanup to remove all the burnt wood. Unless you want that dark color. Laser engraving with CamBam/Mach3-letter-e-jpg

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Dean's right. It's not ideal. The horizontal hatching (or something like that - I've not for CamBam in front of me) also isn't perfect but might be better.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks guys I'll give it a try. I'm brand new to all this.

Downloads
    Uploads

mach can't do that perfect, if u do that work as pocket engraving u'll encounter these:
    - job time very long
    - engrave lines at two ends of each horizontal line will be deeper (acceleration limits)
    - bec of mach's optimization of movements ("constant velocity mode) engrave lines will be crooked at ends (also all mechanical looses show their effect such)
    it's better to use corel or softs to fill shapes wit horizontal lines and do that in vector cutting mode (crooked lines will be better)
    i think mach3 engraving plugin just works with bmp not vectors.