What chemical do you add to your laser chiller?

Thread: What chemical do you add to your laser chiller?

Downloads
    Uploads

Default What chemical do you add to your laser chiller?

Hello,

What chemical is most common to add to a laser chiller to keep it running properly--that is a laser chiller for a small laser engraver? I have read so many conflicting comments about different chemicals and about what not to use. I heard that antifreeze (inexpensive and easily purchased from the auto parts shop) does a good job. But some websites say it is no good.

Also, how often do you change your water? The Chinese manuals say every three months--but that may be a suggestion because of their water supply quality.

But, I have also seen the aluminum cooling parts of the laser optics corroded (these are not anodized). The corrosion is more apparent when you pull off the coolant line. A heavy dosage of Dowfrost is recommended by Coherent for their Gem series lasers as they have internal aluminum parts for cooling.

A laser engraver sign guy customer decided not use anything and see what happened in the photos.

Another laser cutter customer that cuts fabric asked about reduced laser power then provided the photo with the pinched hose.

Any suggestions or comments appreciated.

Thanks.

What chemical do you add to your laser chiller?-contamination_1-jpg

What chemical do you add to your laser chiller?-contamination_2-jpg

What chemical do you add to your laser chiller?-contamination_3-jpg

What chemical do you add to your laser chiller?-pinched_contaminated_coolant_hose-jpg

What chemical do you add to your laser chiller?-aluminum_parts_corrode-jpg

Similar Threads:
    Last edited by grawley; 09-18-2013 at 12:52 AM. Reason: more photos

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi there
    first you should only use distilled water never tap water, even distilled water from stores are not good because they tend to get flaky after a couple weeks.
    the pictures show that the wrong water was used. with this smutch water it builds flacks which then block some areas of the tube and prevent required cooling especially around the anode and cathode this burns this parts and end the live of the tube.
    I personally only use water from a Revers osmosis unit and still need to exchange every 4 weeks.
    during this exchange I use a tube manufacturer 5% HCL solution and run this solution for about 30 to 50 minutes till the tube is crystal clear again then flush it out with pure R/O water for another 15 minutes and only then refill with pure R/O water removing all air bubbles is essential.
    greetings
    waltfl

Quote Originally Posted by grawley View Post
    Hello,

What chemical is most common to add to a laser chiller to keep it running properly--that is a laser chiller for a small laser engraver? I have read so many conflicting comments about different chemicals and about what not to use. I heard that antifreeze (inexpensive and easily purchased from the auto parts shop) does a good job. But some websites say it is no good.

Also, how often do you change your water? The Chinese manuals say every three months--but that may be a suggestion because of their water supply quality.

But, I have also seen the aluminum cooling parts of the laser optics corroded (these are not anodized). The corrosion is more apparent when you pull off the coolant line. A heavy dosage of Dowfrost is recommended by Coherent for their Gem series lasers as they have internal aluminum parts for cooling.

A laser engraver sign guy customer decided not use anything and see what happened in the photos.

Another laser cutter customer that cuts fabric asked about reduced laser power then provided the photo with the pinched hose.

Any suggestions or comments appreciated.

Thanks.

What chemical do you add to your laser chiller?-contamination_1-jpg

What chemical do you add to your laser chiller?-contamination_2-jpg

What chemical do you add to your laser chiller?-contamination_3-jpg

What chemical do you add to your laser chiller?-pinched_contaminated_coolant_hose-jpg

What chemical do you add to your laser chiller?-aluminum_parts_corrode-jpg

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Some of the internals of chillers are made from 300 series stainless steel Walt, 303 and 316 are attacked by even low concentrations of HCL. It causes micro stress cracking and on something like the CW5000 where a steel to alloy joint is used it can cause failure of the chiller with no option to repair as there is no gas valve.

Cillit Bang is better as it contains phosphoric acid and sulfamic acid, both of which won't attack the base metals or glass (and are both used in numerous cosmetics and food products) but will remove scaling from the insides.

cheers

Dave

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi dave
    sorry I forgot to mention. I completely disconnect the chiller circuit and use a separate circuit with pump and separate small tank.
    greetings
    waltfl

Quote Originally Posted by Exsecratio View Post
    Some of the internals of chillers are made from 300 series stainless steel Walt, 303 and 316 are attacked by even low concentrations of HCL. It causes micro stress cracking and on something like the CW5000 where a steel to alloy joint is used it can cause failure of the chiller with no option to repair as there is no gas valve.

Cillit Bang is better as it contains phosphoric acid and sulfamic acid, both of which won't attack the base metals or glass (and are both used in numerous cosmetics and food products) but will remove scaling from the insides.

cheers

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Exsecratio View Post

cheers

Dave

Hi Dave,
    Got my first laser arriving any day, reading a lot and learning all the time )
    When you say Cillit Bang, how much do you add to say a gallon of distilled water ?. Do you run the cooling water with Cillit Bang 'at what ever concentration' all the time ? Does Cillit Bang provide any protection from water freezing in the winter months, if not what else can be added to the water in the winter to prevent freezing (my laser will be kept in a room in my garage, but it can get cold in the winter)

Cheers,
    Paul

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Use dowfrost. No scale, no corrosion, no freezing.

You can get the premix with water and know it is good to go.

DOWFROST? | Heat Transfer Fluids | The Dow Chemical Company

Matt

Quote Originally Posted by keebler303 View Post
    Use dowfrost. No scale, no corrosion, no freezing.

You can get the premix with water and know it is good to go.

DOWFROST? | Heat Transfer Fluids | The Dow Chemical Company

Matt
    Hi Matt,
    Any idea where I would buy say a gallon of this in the UK, any idea on cost.

Cheers,
    Paul

Downloads
    Uploads

I have been using RV antifreeze for months with no issues. Get it at Walmart for under $5.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hiya Paul,

CB is good for cleaning the tube but no good to use as a coolant, I use a product from HPC laser here in the UK called LS Coolflow, the results I have had with it on test have been very good OPLaser support forum ? View topic - HPC LS Coolflow Coolant / Anti Freeze

cheers

Dave

Downloads
    Uploads

I sure hate to think that those pics was using water from someones tap. Definitely not something I would be drinking.

Dennis

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by 34ford View Post
    I sure hate to think that those pics was using water from someones tap. Definitely not something I would be drinking.
    Ever take a look in your water heater? Last time I replaced the heating elements I vacuumed out about 2 inches of calcium scale from the bottom.

Just because it looks clean when it comes out of the tap doesn't mean it is pure water. Every municipal water supply in the world relies on pipes that look 100 times worse than this.

Downloads
    Uploads

Not all water across the country is the same.

Dennis

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

that's correct and not one is usefull for laser cooling
    greetings
    waltfl

Downloads
    Uploads

What about, if needed, flushing with distilled white vinegar? It is recommended for cleaning optics and stainless steel, and should remove mineral deposits.

Downloads
    Uploads

eee.....I think purified or distilled water is enough for smooth running, don't do uncertain things.

Focus in Laser Marking/Engraving, Laser Cutting, Laser Welding devices.
    piero@sintecoptronics.cn

Downloads
    Uploads

If the manual says distilled water I would use distilled water. Anything that can act as an electrolyte, such as purified water or anti-freeze, may cause galvanic corrosion if the system has dissimilar metal junctions.

Banned
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: What chemical do you add to your laser chiller?

we are the chillers manufacturer
    Notice:laser chiller must use purified or distilled water, and then it will kept long life