How many watts to cut 1/4 mild steel or aluminum?

Thread: How many watts to cut 1/4 mild steel or aluminum?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Question How many watts to cut 1/4 mild steel or aluminum?

I'm thinking about building a DIY laser cutter. (Already have a 6x10 cnc router in the garage). Ideally, I'd like to cut 1/4" inch plate steel and/or 1/4" aluminum.

How many watts are we talking to cut such thicknesses? (I did some searching but only found topics on thin metals)

Is this even possible for a DIY machine?

Thanks,

Matt

Similar Threads:

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by MetropolisCNC View Post
    I'm thinking about building a DIY laser cutter. (Already have a 6x10 cnc router in the garage). Ideally, I'd like to cut 1/4" inch plate steel and/or 1/4" aluminum.

How many watts are we talking to cut such thicknesses? (I did some searching but only found topics on thin metals)

Is this even possible for a DIY machine?

Thanks,

Matt
    That's going to be a tough DIY build. You could probably do 1/4 steel with 300-500 watts and oxygen, but that's multiple tubes combined.

Have you considered plasma? That one is pretty easy to DIY, and a lot more reasonable in cost.

Dave

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I was hoping for a cleaner cut than plasma. I have access to a plasma cutter already as well. I've been doing some more research and found I need to rethink my end goal. A 40-60w laser engraver may be more suited to my final project, but I was really hoping to be able to do some other projects being able to cut steel and aluminum that thick.

-Matt

Company Representative Melody-gweike's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Matt,

40W,60W can't do that. Common Co2 lasers in China have difficulty in cutting this.

Yag laser can do this, but it is far more expensive.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I found 1/4 hrpo steel cuts smooth at about about 1500 watts. At about 60 ipm, Using oxygen as an assist gas. I have only cut thin .040 aluminum (using Nitrogen) but for steel once you get through the materail it cuts pretty good. Using a mazak new turbo-x 1.5 kW.

Last edited by br1; 03-14-2012 at 10:48 AM.