Newbie Wife wanted to know why i couldn't ...

Thread: Wife wanted to know why i couldn't ...

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Wife wanted to know why i couldn't ...

I have a CNC mill that i have adapted a Plasma gun that is fired when the programmed M8 comes and does a fairly decent job of making cut parts I am limited to how detailed i can be due to the fact that it is a plasma cutter. My wife and were discussing what a friend had told me about some parts that got laser cut .. she asked since i put the plasma on my mill why couldn't I put a laser cutter on it the same way.. not a bad idea i thought .. until i realize i know little to nothing about lasers .. more toward nothing .. So i turn to my favorite machining web site for help.. I guess the thickest part i will cut will be .125 mostly sheet metal.. what would it take to accomplish putting a laser on my mill

of course any and all info is greatly appreciated

Bernard

Similar Threads:

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

This is about the minimum setup you need to cut 1/8" steel. This machine is probably in the $2-300k range, half of that being the laser itself, the rest for the machine its on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hc4KKkLyFYw]Kern laser cuts 1/8" steel - YouTube

Matt

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

A simple CO2 tube is nowhere near enough power to cut steel that thick and those are the only CO2 lasers anywhere near affordable. When you get into the thousand watt range with CO2 (which you'll need to cut stuff that thick) you need a lot more than a tube, and a lot more money

There are other issues, but the pure size and cost of a CO2 laser big enough to cut like that is really the biggest issue.

I have heard it's possible to cut some steel with a CO2 tube while forcing oxygen on the cut, but that's measured in the thousandths not hundred thousandths.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

With a high quality tube (which no surprise produces a high quality beam) and the correct optics, you can cut steel and stainless in the 40-60 thousandths range with 150W. As seen above 400W is needed for .125".

Matt

Downloads
    Uploads

i guess the answer for my wife is that I don't have the kind of money needed to do it.. thanks guys
    that answers all my questions

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Talking

Draw up the part and send it out to get cut. Quicker and cheaper, plus the wife is happy as you can still make what she wants.

Or, tell her to ask for things that can be made with your plasma or router.

Downloads
    Uploads

This is 14 gauge, 1/2" and 1/8" all cut on my cnc machine with a Hypertherm Powermax45 air plasma. Not a laser, but does some pretty fine detail with good motion control and height control.

Jim Colt

Quote Originally Posted by cruizer67 View Post
    I have a CNC mill that i have adapted a Plasma gun that is fired when the programmed M8 comes and does a fairly decent job of making cut parts I am limited to how detailed i can be due to the fact that it is a plasma cutter. My wife and were discussing what a friend had told me about some parts that got laser cut .. she asked since i put the plasma on my mill why couldn't I put a laser cutter on it the same way.. not a bad idea i thought .. until i realize i know little to nothing about lasers .. more toward nothing .. So i turn to my favorite machining web site for help.. I guess the thickest part i will cut will be .125 mostly sheet metal.. what would it take to accomplish putting a laser on my mill

of course any and all info is greatly appreciated

Bernard

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Wife wanted to know why i couldn't ...-img_2972-jpg   Wife wanted to know why i couldn't ...-img_2948-jpg   Wife wanted to know why i couldn't ...-mickeycompressed-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Jimcolt that is pretty good detail are you using a water table to cut the parts on?

Downloads
    Uploads

These parts were all cut on a cnc machine with a downdraft table. With a water table the edges on the cuts would have a rougher finish.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by cruizer67 View Post
    Jimcolt that is pretty good detail are you using a water table to cut the parts on?