Lost in Laser Engraving

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lost in Laser Engraving

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Lost in Laser Engraving

Newbie Lost in Engraving and Moshidraw

I have just started a new business here in the UK...

I have to create a range of dog tags, pendants and other gifts and jewellery items on silver, silver plated and stainless steel, with simple 5 word messages.

I have just bought this old dodgy chinese laser engraver/cutter off ebay, which is another story, but it has a Yinghe sticker on it and is made up of Moshidraw Controller Board MS10102 and is suppose to run Moshidraw 6.99 I think..!!!! I have the licence and dongle..!!!..But thats about it...apart from my IT Set-up..

Has anybody out there had any dealings with one of these..??? and know where I can download the software..???

Also heared there is a compound or solution I can put on metals so that the laser burns the messaging black..???

I am an IT Person, but begining to think I have made a huge mistake in my production setup...Yikes..!!

Any help or advise would be really , really appreciated

Similar Threads:

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hiya Tommy,

Give me a call on 07429 149371 or send me a text and I'll call you. (don't worry I don't sell anything but as I'm in the UK I may be able to help)

best wishes

Dave

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi there
    first yes you made a big mistake but now you have to fixe it.
    the moshiboard 10102 is one of t he oldest if you wana stick with moshi sh...
    then you should upgrade at least to a moshi board 10105.
    the dongle what you have should work with all versions, the software should be version 7.xx at least.
    if you send me aemail to a542002@hotmail.com i could send you the newer software.
    but I tell you my friend you will not have much fun or production with this moshi system I am talking from experience because this system is unreliable
    starting that if you wana do a job multiple times you mostly have to reload it again etc.
    I would recommend to upgrade to a DSP system it will cost you about $ 800 but then you realy can go in production
    greetings
    walt

Quote Originally Posted by mojotommy View Post
    Newbie Lost in Engraving and Moshidraw

I have just started a new business here in the UK...

I have to create a range of dog tags, pendants and other gifts and jewellery items on silver, silver plated and stainless steel, with simple 5 word messages.

I have just bought this old dodgy chinese laser engraver/cutter off ebay, which is another story, but it has a Yinghe sticker on it and is made up of Moshidraw Controller Board MS10102 and is suppose to run Moshidraw 6.99 I think..!!!! I have the licence and dongle..!!!..But thats about it...apart from my IT Set-up..

Has anybody out there had any dealings with one of these..??? and know where I can download the software..???

Also heared there is a compound or solution I can put on metals so that the laser burns the messaging black..???

I am an IT Person, but begining to think I have made a huge mistake in my production setup...Yikes..!!

Any help or advise would be really , really appreciated

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default C02 Refil

Thanks for the reply Guys...Walt and Dave..!!!

Has anybody ever used the cermark solution when using a laser engraver..???

And here's the bombshell...How do I refill the C02 in the laser itself..???

Tommy

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hiya Tommy,

Ill give you a call in a min

best wishes

Dave

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for the reply Guys...Walt and Dave..!!!

Has anybody ever used the cermark solution when using a laser engraver..???

And here's the bombshell...How do I refill the C02 in the laser itself..???

Tommy
    I use Cermark a lot on all sorts of stuff, mostly stainless. It works well but you need lots of power to make it time efficient. It takes more power to cermark things that have a high thermal conductivity (silver, aluminum, copper etc...) Make sure you turn the can upside down to clean the nozzle EVERY time you use it. It's thick and dries quick and will spatter instead of spray if too much is caked on the nozzle. This makes it harder to mark as thin coats are best.

I've only ever used the spray stuff, never the tape or paint on stuff.

Refilling a sealed glass tube is not something that is done. It can be, but a new tube can be bought for less than a refill. Of course I'm assuming your using the standard sealed glass chinese tubes.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Cermark Thermark anything else Mark..!!!

Thanks for that reply pontiacg5...

When you say a lot of power what do you recon if it were a silver dog tag with maybe a 20 charactor (font) message...???

And do you know of any other kind of product that will allow me to do this..???

Thanks

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

How did it go with the download Tommy?

best wishes

Dave

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hey Dave

Got the download sorted thanks mate.
    I had to crank one of me old desktops up with an LPT Port on it..Well it's actual just a MB, Hard Drive and a bit of memory runnin on the work bench...!!!
    So done a fresh install on that and am going to give it a go in the morning..

I was going to ask you about the water cooling biz for the laser...Not sure which is the input and which is the output...???

The guy I bought it off said an aquarium pump would dop the trick... from B&Q...!!!

Whats your thoughts Dave..???

By the way...like the Forum... I registered last night..Good Job

Cheers

Tommy

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I saw your registration I've been mucking about with the layouts a bit so things will look a bit funky for a while

Pump wise you need something that pushes quite a bit of water,

I'll write something up in the info forum for you

best wishes

Dave

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

The guy I bought it off said an aquarium pump would dop the trick... from B&Q...!!!
    You can get some good aquarium pumps - Eheim are good but I wouldn't get one from B and Queue ;-)

Cheers

Dave

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi there
    I use a pump called "the little giant" and it works perfect
    like this picture
    greetings
    walt

Quote Originally Posted by Exsecratio View Post
    I saw your registration I've been mucking about with the layouts a bit so things will look a bit funky for a while

Pump wise you need something that pushes quite a bit of water,

I'll write something up in the info forum for you

best wishes

Dave

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Lost in Laser Engraving-little-giant-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

You can use cermark with most any CO2 laser, you get more speed with more power though. If time isn't an issue for you than I wouldn't worry too much.

I can mark 15 1" SS plugs in about 14 minutes on my 80W laser. That's at 50% power and 200mm/s. I can go quicker, but if the cermark isn't lased with enough heat it won't stick well and it just rubs right off. There are other products like Cermark, but I think they are all just different names and basically the same product. There are a few colors other than black I think, not many though.

Your gonna want to pump water from the back of the tube towards the output side. The rear mirror is 100% reflective so it heats up more than the output mirror (50% reflective.) The hot mirror gets the coldest water in 99% of situations.

I'd make sure your aquarium pump is grounded either with a ground prong on the plug or adding one yourself, other than that it should work fine. I've managed to get shocked pretty bad through the coolant tank once, I figured it had something to do with the pump I was using not being grounded. Either way, 14+ KV hurts pretty bad so I'd avoid that if you could

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

hi there
    you can try the " high heat paint" I use them its preety much the same except the price is only a fraction
    something like this

Krylon High Heat Flat Black Spray Paint 12 Ounce - SJ Media Systems

greetings
    walt

Thanks for that reply pontiacg5...

When you say a lot of power what do you recon if it were a silver dog tag with maybe a 20 charactor (font) message...???

And do you know of any other kind of product that will allow me to do this..???

Thanks

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

You should really invest in a rotary engraver if you want to work with those materials. None of them are what I'd consider "laser engravable".

If you want to stick with the laser, you need to change materials. Anodized aluminum is probably your best substitute material.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I might well go down the cnc engraver route too....
    Might have jumped in a bit too quicky on the C02 Laser for the requirement and having a bit of trouble getting it going.... But help is at hand thanks to Dave and Walt..!!!!

My first choice was to build a cnc engraver, so may go back and check that out too...!!!!

Any ideas as to a starting point anybody..????

I am technical so might give it a go..

Looking to engrave on rings, dog tags and pendants to start.????

Thanks for the advice thus far folks...!!!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Diamond drag may well be the way to go Tommy,

Email this guy Gary Noble, he's got 30 years of experience in the jewelry trade and has forgotten more about engraving than I'll ever know

best wishes

Dave

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I wouldn't go with just a diamond drag machine. It's worth the extra money to get the rotating spindle.

As for using your laser: pick different materials. Anodized aluminum and painted/coated metal is what you want. Laminated plastic and acrylic is also good. Wood is another laserable material. Stainless steel and silver are not ideal for a laser. You can use Cermark but that's definitely not efficient or effective on a $5 tag.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Yup I'd agree there Ross

Lasers are great but like many of us know, not always the right tool for the job

best wishes

Dave

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hey Dave

May give you a bell tomorrow if that's ok...????
    Been working on a web job which was a pain...but got a clear head now..

Looks like I'm gonna run with the laser for some stuff I need to do and maybe try get a cnc mill set up going..for the metal work side of things..!!!!!

So if anybody could point me in the right direction as to what would be a good would be a good set up option for a 4 axis mill..???

Talk about all or nothing..think I've really got the cnc bug..

Thanks for all the help guys

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast