Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Mayan (Aztec) Calendar.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Mayan (Aztec) Calendar.

Quote Originally Posted by Pplug View Post
    Here's a comment...

Start a new thread instead of necroposting.
    I don't get this? And many other gear head forums I visit request recycling old threads as a way of not plugging up the forum from a searching standpoint with many threads of the same title that a person searching for say "Mayan calendar" information has to go through every one of them. PITA. . Some common sense needs to be used and the request is that the poster "search" first to determine if the topic is a "new" one (deserves it's own thread) or just more info on an old one.

I am new to cnc and have done a lot of searching on here to learn new stuff but never searched "Mayan" before and so when this popped up on new posts I came here to see what it was all about and discovered some great laser discussion about an interesting art piece, a pi$$ing match by some posters (good fun), some stuff on another technique for cnc besides lasers, and some descriptions of materials used. Now none of that is definitive but I really appreciate the context of all the posts and all in all a nice read. Had the poster started a new thread I would have missed all that.

SOoo, and I'm open to learning, what exactly is wrong with using an "old" but "on topic" thread??

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by buddydog View Post
    SOoo, and I'm open to learning, what exactly is wrong with using an "old" but "on topic" thread??
    Absolutely nothing, if the site members wants to stop old threads getting new posts, then damn well lock them, otherwise don't whinge when people post relevant remarks even if it's an older thread.

I fully agree with you, why have a zillion threads all with the same type of content. And I think it's especially poor to harangue a guy who just finished a cnc machine build, that's a hell of an accomplishment, and should be commended.

cheers, Ian

It's a state of mind!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Well it's not my forum and when in Rome etc. but I thought I would ask. I think I, or I saw where someone else got bit a couple of weeks ago and on here and I was just wondering if there was any good reason? I got bit in other forums for NOT reusing old threads and the reasons were as I articulated above. Maybe it's just an internet tradition? And like I said before maybe there is some reason I am not aware of?

So aarggh, ye be a pirate?

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by buddydog View Post
    So aarggh, ye be a pirate?
    Well it's more like a state of mind than anything else, but I do enjoy International talk like a Pirate Day!

cheers, Ian

It's a state of mind!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

We'll I spent a few years "before the mast", actually behind it as all my boats were either sloops or cutters but new wife, new hobbies (actually recycled old ones from my youth) so now it's back to flying since we have horses and as anyone can tell you it's the sport of kings and since I'm not a king we can't really get away from the farm for much more than a few hours at a time. I do sometimes miss the water but it's changed so much with GPS and sat phones that the freedom I used to treasure when gone for months (probably that "state of mind" you are referring to) is no longer there. It's kind of the same with flying but I don't miss the omni ranges and lighter radios just means more gas and as you know with flying the only time you have to much gas is when your on fire ("Bob Hoover")!

Australia was on my bucket list for destinations but I never got that far. Maybe have to take a commercial flight someday and visit!

Cheers to you too.... "da dog"

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123