Import tariffs on Chinese CNC laser system?

Thread: Import tariffs on Chinese CNC laser system?

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Import tariffs on Chinese CNC laser system?

What's the deal on importing Chinese CNC lasers into the US?

Had someone tell me they tried to buy a whole system, table/laser/controller and all, but it got caught by customs, who wanted to assess far more import duty than it actually cost, based on what they estimated its value at. Had to let it get sent back and resold because of that.

From what I guessed, the mfg tried to mark it as "gift" (common scam, a gift isn't subject to import tariffs) but Customs didn't buy that for capital equipment, and, lacking actual documentation on the price and annoyed by this attempt to game them, threw out an excessively high number for its value.

I don't know if that was the case. What IS the import duty on CNC laser systems? Is it commonplace for Customs to ignore the stated price and arbitrarily assess a value on their own?

Is there currently some sort of allegations of "dumping" such a product here below cost that might cause Customs to use a retaliatory tariff against Chinese sellers?

Similar Threads:
    Last edited by MechanoMan; 09-04-2010 at 06:21 PM.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I recommend using a freight forwarder with an in-house customs broker, and if possible door-to-door air. FedEx or DHL would be good choices from China to the USA.

Yes - import duty is due but the actual fee may be zero depending on value and whether it is for personal use etc. There is a personal exemption ($1600) which can be used once per month and then a flat rate of 1.5% for the next $1000 and the remaining value is typically charged at 0.5-4.5% depending on the import code (trade classification). So if your laser is invoiced at $3600 and for personal use, you will likely pay $50 duty (non-medical laser).

If you get the size, weight and harmonized code you can talk to the freight companies and obtain quotes for shipping and duty.

If it is marked as a gift at a nominal value, then yes it can be seized. This would incur additional fees under the anti-dumping regulation which could include loss of the shipment.

The laser will also require the correct FDA certifications to be released, delays here can also incur significant fees.

Most reputable companies will be able to arrange this for you and often cheaper too. If they can't, walk... there are plenty of options.

Zax.

Downloads
    Uploads

For those living in the UK - The official line is;

"Most goods arriving in the UK from outside the EU are liable to any or all of the following taxes:

* customs duty
    * excise duty
    * import VAT

and must be paid whether:

* you purchase the goods or receive them as a gift
    * the goods are new or used (including antiques)
    * the goods are for your private use or for re-sale".

Of course there are some exceptions and reduced rates of VAT etc. etc. but receiving a product declared as 'Gift' for the intention of evading tax and then not paying the VAT / duty is an offense under UK law.

Sorry to be a killjoy but the penalties for tax evasion can be quite severe - look what happened to Al Capone.

Tweakie.

CNC is only limited by our imagination.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by zax15uk View Post
    I recommend using a freight forwarder with an in-house customs broker, and if possible door-to-door air. FedEx or DHL would be good choices from China to the USA.

Yes - import duty is due but the actual fee may be zero depending on value and whether it is for personal use etc. There is a personal exemption ($1600) which can be used once per month and then a flat rate of 1.5% for the next $1000 and the remaining value is typically charged at 0.5-4.5% depending on the import code (trade classification). So if your laser is invoiced at $3600 and for personal use, you will likely pay $50 duty (non-medical laser).

If you get the size, weight and harmonized code you can talk to the freight companies and obtain quotes for shipping and duty.

If it is marked as a gift at a nominal value, then yes it can be seized. This would incur additional fees under the anti-dumping regulation which could include loss of the shipment.

The laser will also require the correct FDA certifications to be released, delays here can also incur significant fees.

Most reputable companies will be able to arrange this for you and often cheaper too. If they can't, walk... there are plenty of options.

Zax.
    I ask because I have a friend who tried to import one (like $5K IIRC) from China to USA, I believe it was for use by an LLC, but it may have been under "personal". He reported facing an import tariff of more than the laser cutter cost, thousands of $ in tariff.

Essentially Customs denied the legitimacy of the invoice price and Googled laser cutter makers in the USA and judged the fair value as many tens of thousands of dollars, and he had to turn the shipment away.

It does not wholly surprise me that Customs would try to pull something so absurd. What does surprise me is that he found it was not going to be practical to dispute the tariff they tried to assess.

Have you ever heard of something like this?

Downloads
    Uploads

Go to the US Govt customs site, I imagine they have the same tariff code list along with fillable forms if required as they do here in Canada.
    Look up the tariff code and get the exporter to use this #, also make sure any shipper supplies a commercial invoice with the true value paid on the invoice.
    If it is marked Gift, it is usually a red flag for customs to check further.
    Here there is a form to reclaim any taxes or duties that appear to be wrongly assessed, I have used this on a few occasions to obtain a refund.
    Check to see if any freight companies have bonded wharehouses in the area you live, you can often clear it yourself this way
    Al.

CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Downloads
    Uploads

Also one need to realize, broker or not, the bottom line is you are the sole responsible party for proper forms, their being filled / filed properly and total charges.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

make them legalize the invoice from the USA embassy in china .
    i think it will cost 100 or 200USD but no one can dispute with that .

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

If anyone here need to buy from China, it's suggested to check your supplier before payment, avoid being scammed. As an independent third-party in China, we offer professional company verifying service to foreign customers. contact me to stop scammers from you.
    Irene
    Msn: stin002@hotmail.com
    STIN (CHINA) BUSINESS SERVICE CO., LTD

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

So let me see if I understand this. You are saying don't get scammed by send money to someone you don't know in China. Instead, hire you--and by the way, who are you again?--to check on the scammers for us?

Why don't you just stop spamming the forums.

Quote Originally Posted by stinirene View Post
    If anyone here need to buy from China, it's suggested to check your supplier before payment, avoid being scammed. As an independent third-party in China, we offer professional company verifying service to foreign customers. contact me to stop scammers from you.
    Irene
    Msn: stin002@hotmail.com
    STIN (CHINA) BUSINESS SERVICE CO., LTD

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi... I am working at the international department of Chinese company about 4 years. So, I think I am experienced in the import and exported. The products of my last company is optical positioning stage which with linear stage or rotation stage. I mean the size of product is small. I always need to export the goods to other countries for my customer by TNT, FedEX or DHL. Sometimes I need send the goods by air or sea. The most important is both of two companies I worked have the right of import and export which already have registered in custom of China. So, when we received the payment from customer, we need export the goods in time, otherwise, we will get the trouble. Sometimes, my customer requests me supply the private account for he wants to save the tax. Even so, I still will send the goods to him in time. Reputation is most importatn for a company.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Zoe Zhang
    Beijing EFR laser S&T Co., Ltd.

CO2 Laser Tube, 60W to 180W, 3000 to 10, 000 hours.
    Beijing EFR Laser S&T Co., Ltd:)

Company Representative Melody-gweike's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads

It is stupid to mark as Gift. That will be caught by customs easily. If fact, each item and machine has their own HS code. And should just give the real value of everything. In fact, the importing customs of laser items for North America is very low. For common laser, one just need to pay USD100-USD400.

Melody
    li@wklaser.com