CNC Gemstone Cutting

Thread: CNC Gemstone Cutting

Downloads
    Uploads

Default CNC Gemstone Cutting

Does anyone know of anyone doing CNC Gemstone cutting, and or any CAD/CAM software that has the complex gemstone facets preloaded? Or if you have any ideas of what one could do with the software, Im just looking for ideas on my next project.

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

It is something I would like to try, just have to finish a few projects first, as for the design's, it would be a simple thing to code by hand, for instance the pavillion on a SRB is simply 8 main facets and 16 girdle facets, not counting the girdle rounding itself but easy enough to do with two angular axis's and a third depth of cut axis, possibly a sweeping motion while cutting would be a good idea as well.

I think the tricky part would be the polishing, but with a little trial and error I think a solution would evolve.

Russell.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Gemstone

Matt,

Mini-Tech has a customer that machines Moissanite there name is Charles Colvard

Mini-Tech might have pictures of the process, this is there website:

http://www.minitech.com

Hope the info helps.

Jeff Alessi
    jalessi@aol.com

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Smile Hello

Quote Originally Posted by Matt29c View Post
    Does anyone know of anyone doing CNC Gemstone cutting, and or any CAD/CAM software that has the complex gemstone facets preloaded? Or if you have any ideas of what one could do with the software, Im just looking for ideas on my next project.
    I am looking for same thing.

Downloads
    Uploads

i am looking for the same thing

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

hi guys..i also want to cut gemstones,but i wanna engrave onyx and such stones,maybe torquouise, i use rhino and artcam for design... do u guys know what kind of endmill i should use? some diamond tools taht i have peel of diamant layer too quickly...you know any good company taht makes it? thank You

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default CNC making Jewel

Hi guyz! Is there really a CNC that can cut Gemstone? i've been looking for one all over the internet with no success...Would it be possible to make one...Im of the impression that the manual Faceting machines and the other accessories that come with it work better than a CNC, hence the luck of that machine..Anyone know of any CNC that's used for making the Jewel out of the Gemstone..?

Downloads
    Uploads

This is an old thread but I’m new to this site, and I have been cutting gemstones for about 20 years, mostly with an UltraTec.

Years ago Facetron was working on a CNC faceting machine. I watched it work at the Tucson gem show, and talked to Jarvi about the machine. He admitted that polishing had to have a human eye. Jarvi is gone now and I don’t know whatever happened to this project? Maybe someone at Facetron would know?

With a lot of gemstones having different harnesses on different axis doing a good job would be VERY hard.

On a side note I’m looking to make some Faceting Machines at some point. Most if not all of the patents have run out on these machines so making clones should be easy, and UltraTec was quick to jump on the curved faceting bandwagon just before Polymetrics patent ran out so I say turnabout is fair play.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Vaderspade, I sent you a PM about this. I have some CNC faceting machines.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: CNC Gemstone Cutting

This thread is a bit old but I thought I would reply anyway. I worked with Norm Jarvi on the Facetron CNC machine. It was more than 20 years ago. I designed all the software and electronics. Norm did the mechanical portion of the machine. Over the past year, I've been working on a new CNC gemstone cutter. I have a prototype machine. It is coming along pretty well. Automated gemstone polishing is tricky but very possible. I hope to have a final implementation by the end of 2016. As of now it is just a hobby project.

Downloads
    Uploads

Can you send me a link to your website ?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Wow I'd be very interested in this! I know a company called Wild & Petsch have been using an automatic gem cutting machine for sometime.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Any progress on this?

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Mr Crawford did you complete the software would be interested in buying a copy dandere@yahoo.com Dan Shields