Plasma - Magnetic Breakaway Mach3 Settings

Thread: Plasma - Magnetic Breakaway Mach3 Settings

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Plasma - Magnetic Breakaway Mach3 Settings

I'm currently putting together a plasma machine, and we're including a magnetic breakaway to protect the torch. Machine is run off a laptop running Mach3, using a USB Smoothstepper.

This is my first time including a magnetic breakaway. I originally thought to program it as an e-stop in the Mach3 Pins & Ports/Input signals. Or is there another common way to set up the breakaway? It is simply a Normally Closed switch that activates when the torch holder breaks off.

Appreciate any input.

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Plasma - Magnetic Breakaway Mach3 Settings

Are you triggering your plasma torch manually? because in a typical CNC plasma machine it will plunge on the material then there`s some magnetic switches to activate when the torch holder with springs gets lifted, then it backs up (torch height controller) then triggers the plasma machine then fine tunes the height to it`s optimum amperage (amp sensor in the plasma machine in conjunction with the torch height controller module) on the plasma machine then that`s the time it will move to the program path.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

We're using Ohmic sensing for initial height sense. I used to use floating head, but decided to move to Ohmic.

But I don't see how this affects the magnetic breakaway. This is just as a safety mechanism, which must switch off the machine when the switch is activated (torch breaks away when it hits an object).

Downloads
    Uploads

A separate switch on the breakaway mount is simply a switch wired to your e-stop circuit. As long as it triggers when your torch mount plates are separated Should be pretty easy to figure out using a ordinary micro switch wired to N/C. It sounds like Mach is firing your torch after a height set macro (in sheetcam?) and then turning it off after each cut etc. Your emergency stop should be set up in Mach to also shut off your torch anyway as a safety precaution

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks coherent, that's exactly what I was considering, setting it up as an e-stop.

Thanks

Downloads
    Uploads

Hello,
    You can also look our page at AGELKOM News Page for TORCH PROTECTOR. Vertical mount is not worked properly.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by agelkom View Post
    Hello,
    You can also look our page at AGELKOM News Page for TORCH PROTECTOR. Vertical mount is not worked properly.
    I think you need to explain what you mean by, "Vertical mount is not worked properly". There are many designs of breakaway out there and most of them appear to be vertical mount style.

Nobody seems to be complaining that their breakaways are not working. Quite the opposite really, most users say their breakaways have saved the torch a few times.

Downloads
    Uploads

Vertical mounting works naturally, but we saw that vertical assembly did not work as expected in our experiments, torch nozzle was a little crushed. We had to experiment more to optimize, then we tried horizontal protection and it was fast and easy to adjust, magnetic field intensity and return to original position.