Need Help! CNC Router to Plasma Add On

Thread: CNC Router to Plasma Add On

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Post CNC Router to Plasma Add On

Hello,
    I would like some guidance as to how to add on a plasma cutter to a CNC machine. A few questions:
    1. What kind/brands of plasma cutter might be good options to look at? (I don't intend on cutting metal thicker than 1/2"
    2.What substrate should I put on my table so that it is protected from the plasma torch?
    3. What are some things I need to consider while doing this add on?
    Thanks!
    Marc

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: CNC Router to Plasma Add On

There are a few Plasma cutters that work with the CNC tables, but the cheaper imports will cause interference and simply not work. I'd recommend a Hypertherm. I have a new 45xp and and it's great and would be a perfect match for your needs. They cost a bit more than some of the others but this is one case that you definitely get what you pay for.

If your CNC router has an open frame you can simply fabricate a way to mount slats to support the metal you cut... if you have cross supports it will limit your options depending on your Z height and/or room beneath your gantry to the table. My CNC router had a couple cross supports, so what I did was make the spoil board (used for CNC router operations) easily removable, then fabricated a water tray that holds slats. I just slide the tray in, and fill it with water. I swap out the router mount for a floating torch mount and I'm ready to cut with the plasma. The swap only takes a few minutes (longest part is filling the tray with water. Be sure to include a drain/ball valve on the bottom for draining. There really isn't a way to protect your cross members other than distance or a water table. Any metal near the torch/cut is going to affect the cut and get cut or gouged. My water table tray is only about 3 inches deep and when filled the water level is very near the top of the slats. Very little smoke or mess compared to basic slats with an open bottom. You don't need the water any deeper than 3 inches or so unless you are using a very powerful industrial plasma cutter. The only other thing I did was make a 6 in or so round disk/shield that mounts on the torch bottom near the tip to keep water from splashing up on the torch or machine.
    Good Luck!

CNC Router to Plasma Add On-water-tray-jpg

Last edited by coherent; 10-19-2017 at 02:08 PM. Reason: Add photo of water tray

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks so much for your help! I really appreciate the insight. Two other quick questions. 1. How clean of a cut are you getting on steel and aluminum under 1/2"? 2. Is there a way to hook up the 45XP with a digital on/off switch so that the torch turns off when it is moving to the next cut?
    Thanks!

Downloads
    Uploads

You can buy a Hypertherm cable or buy just the plug/pins from an electronics supply (I'll list the part numbers below) and make your own cpc port plug to connect the 45xp CPC port directly to your breakout boards relay (or add on relay/contact switch if your BoB doesn't have one). With a simple floating head that the torch mounts to with a micro switch, it will set the torch height prior to the start of each cut. I use and recommend Sheetcam for producing your "cut file" gcode. Unless you are cutting thin metal that may warp easily, it works great without a THC. A simple setup like this will...
    -Travel to the cut point
    -Lower the Z slowly finding top of cutting surface then the floating head micro switch is tripped
    -Raise the head to pierce height (set in Sheetcam)
    -Fire the torch and pierce (for pierce delay duration set in Sheetcam)
    -Lower to cut height (again set in Sheetcam) and make cut.
    When the cut is complete, it will shut off the torch, travel the the next pierce/cut start point and repeat.

You can do all this without Sheetcam, (it just adds it via the post processor to the gcode) but It's much easier to do it all in Sheetcam including stuff like tabs, start points, lead ins, lead outs, cut order etc. The cut quality is excellent both steel and aluminum and once you get the hang of the correct speeds etc, require very little clean up.

I ordered my CPC plug clamshell & pins from Digikey I think it was about $20 for everything shipped. Numbers may have changed, but here is what I ordered.
    Digikey
    A1358-ND 1ea
    A32516-ND 1ea
    A99521-ND (pins) I ordered 7ea because I have a THC and wanted to connect to the voltage divider and have a couple spares, but you only really use 2 for the torch fire switch (pins 3 & 4). The pin outs are shown on your 45xp manual on pg 102.

Last edited by coherent; 10-20-2017 at 04:35 PM. Reason: added part numbers

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks so much for your insight. I am going look up your suggestions. It is so helpful to have a direction to go and not have to reinvent the wheel!