question on hooking powermax 45 xp machine torch to G540 and proma THC asap please

Thread: question on hooking powermax 45 xp machine torch to G540 and proma THC asap please

Default question on hooking powermax 45 xp machine torch to G540 and proma THC asap please

hey guys, been awhile since I posted but I have my CNC machine built, Tuned , homed etc. I wrote a program off a picture and it moved nicely. now that all that is done, I've been getting some mixed answers to my question

So Im ready to start test cuts and need to hook up my plasma (with machine torch and CPC cable)

So I have the White black voltage divider wires going to the proma per directions, I also have a Green/Black wire from the CPC for (start plasma)

My delima, someone said I need a relay for the plasma to start and others say I can connect it directly to the G540 and program the pin location into mach 3.

If someone can guide me on how to hook up the plasma to run correctly with my setup that would be great. I have a floating head design with a limit switch in the head to use (and im new at this) for touch off engaging of the height ( i also need to know where and how to plug in this switch on the head)

I really want to get cutting this weekend so any help as soon as possible would be great.

Similar Threads:

Default Re: question on hooking powermax 45 xp machine torch to G540 and proma THC asap pleas

I have been doing some searching , and if someone can provide if this information is correct I think I'll be on my way, Can the Plasma start pins coming from the CPC cable

start plasma from cpc (socket 3,4) to Geko pin 5,12 respectively
    Transfer start machine motion (socket 12,14) Not useed*
    Voltage divider (socket 5-,6+) to Promo DC - and +

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: question on hooking powermax 45 xp machine torch to G540 and proma THC asap pleas

I don't know your hardware or machine but you would need to use an output to trigger a relay. The contactors on the relay would be connected to the start plasma pins in the CPC socket. If the Gecko has a relay built in, I guess you could use that but for a few $ I'd keep any wires from the plasma cutter off my controller just in case something went wrong (which could be expensive to replace)

Normally, the plasma cutter will send a signal back to say it has a good arc (Arc OK). It looks like pins 12 and 14 do this. The plasma cutter will have a relay on these wires that closes when you have a good arc. You you'd take a common voltage, connect it to one of these pins and then connect the other one to an input on your hardware.

Remember you can't just send a signal to and from different machines. You need to use relays to switch signals.

Rod Webster
    www.vmn.com.au

Quote Originally Posted by rodw View Post
    I don't know your hardware or machine but you would need to use an output to trigger a relay. The contactors on the relay would be connected to the start plasma pins in the CPC socket. If the Gecko has a relay built in, I guess you could use that but for a few $ I'd keep any wires from the plasma cutter off my controller just in case something went wrong (which could be expensive to replace)

Normally, the plasma cutter will send a signal back to say it has a good arc (Arc OK). It looks like pins 12 and 14 do this. The plasma cutter will have a relay on these wires that closes when you have a good arc. You you'd take a common voltage, connect it to one of these pins and then connect the other one to an input on your hardware.

Remember you can't just send a signal to and from different machines. You need to use relays to switch signals.

The hardware I specified I basically for my controller have a power supply a g540, a uc100, and proma thc and machine is a power max 45 xp. I don't know if the gecko has built in relays or not. If it does and I add another one would it present a problem? So my short answer is no I can't connect the plasma start wires directly to the g540?

Surely someone has had to hook up a power max 45xp to a gecko on here.... Can anyone help with this do I need a relay? Can I directly connect it with the cpc cable? Cmon guyssssssss

Downloads
    Uploads

A real quick look at the G540 manual will show you that it does not have internal relays, but it shows you how to hook up an external relay. Some THC's provide a relay in the unit to fire the torch. That is the most common way to fire a torch...not directly from the G540 By using a mix of different cards and devices it becomes a puzzle no one vendor can pierce together and say "connect this pin to this input and load this software and set the software options to this". The G540 is a pretty simple 4 wide motor diver and simple parallel port breakout card and has drivers to drive two relays. It has inputs. Hanging a UC100 in front of it then adds a new level of complexity. The G540 becomes one Port. Then you throw in the Promo, which is a bare bones THC, that simply sends UP and DOWN move commands to the control software. The UC100 has to handle the THC inputs and bypass the MACH THC inputs if you are using it with MACH3. In short its not quite as simple as plugging a bunch of boards together and making it work. Then you throw in the Hypertherm and its CPC port. If you use the divided voltage out of the CPC (50 :1 is all it supports) the Promo needs to be close if not in the plasma cutter. Even small amounts of noise (.020 volt of noise = 1 volt of plasma error) can get on cables over serval feet long. Fighting noise on signals is no fun. USB is especially sensitive to noise .
    The torch fires from a short across pins 3 & 4 on the CPC. That works better if its an isolated set of "dry" (no voltage) contacts:aka relay. Can you fire it with another method? Maybe but you risk damage to either the Hypertherm or your controls.

A lot of the final outcome depends on if you have a torch holder/Z with a method of "touch off" Without that a THC is not much use.

I've got the diagram to hook up the relay, thats what im going to do tomorrow (pending I find a relay locally) if not ill have to order one. I figured no vendor would have a diagram but thats why I asked on here. I assumed someone has hooked up a powermax 45 xp to a control box using basically only the geko drive and proma THC. The proma uses the 50:1 to connect to and that is all connected correctly. I simply need how to connect the touch off limit switch and the plasma start leads from the cpc cable.

I dont want to use another method just what has been tried and confirmed correct. The proma is basically 1ft from the control box connected with a 1.5' piece of double shielded cable. and even wrapped in an additional copper shield around the whole thing, the usb is alsop double shielded with ferrite ends on them.

the pic is of my floating head where the black wire comes out is a 'limit switch' that depresses when the torch makes contact

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails question on hooking powermax 45 xp machine torch to G540 and proma THC asap please-20170812_170753-jpg  

thanks buddy, i sent an email.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

LureMin do you have a wiring diagram? Ive been looking and I am in the same boat you were.