IPT 80 Torch question

Thread: IPT 80 Torch question

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default IPT 80 Torch question

Hey all,

Picked up a Everlast PP80s with a ipt80 cnc torch. With my previous unit i had to using a floating head and a micro switch to set the offset. What i was wondering is if the contact cutting tip for the ipt80 could be used for a ohmic sensing. the few pictures i can find of it it looks like it might work. if the copper tip is isolated it would work but my other concern would be if by creating a circuit thru the tip i would have to watch out for possible arc issues.

Thanks in advance.

Similar Threads:

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: IPT 80 Torch question

So found an old thread the Jimcolt replied in and mentioned using a 300 volt relay to isolate the system when cutting. Problem solved there. Just need to know if the tip is actually isolated on the ipt80.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Tallguy64 View Post
    So found an old thread the Jimcolt replied in and mentioned using a 300 volt relay to isolate the system when cutting. Problem solved there. Just need to know if the tip is actually isolated on the ipt80.
    Would you be able to link to that old thread? I have an Everlast with a Trafimet S75 machine torch provided by Everlast Australia with a bare tip. I was going to make an ohmic sensor then got cold feet about the risk of 300 volts flying around...

I don't think your tip is isolated like the Hypertherm torches are. Mine certainly isn't. The HT shield that touches off is isolated from the torch cutting tip.

Rod Webster
    www.vmn.com.au

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

This is the thread where i found jim talking about the relay
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/genera...068-forum.html

the ipt80 has a second nose cone that can be ordered, it uses different internals, and also that has a removable copper tip, i am just wondering if it is isolated. It looks like it might be but was wondering if someone had one in had or has seen one could verify this.

My floating head works good till i start doing light gauge steel signs where they distort from heat a little bit, once cutting not a big deal the thc work perfect but i noticed if there is enough flex in the steel the torch will actually push it back against the table and when it returns to pierce height the torch is still in contact with the steel, it has cause a couple false starts because it was unable to fire correctly due to air flow being restricted. Thus why if possible i would like to add the ohmic sensing.