New Machine Build Have my machine, now i just need some help with electric control parts (have list)

Thread: Have my machine, now i just need some help with electric control parts (have list)

Default Have my machine, now i just need some help with electric control parts (have list)

Hello all, I've been a lurker for some time, and would love to get some input on a machine I am building and get some quick answers as most companies for the controls are a good 3-4 weeks out on units

So I have been on the fence about just purchasing a complete electronics package from CandCNC for about $2800 or from CNCrouterparts.com for about $2600 these kits seem to be an all inclusive list of everything I need to run my 4x4 table I built. But I have been leaning more toward the semi DIY to save what looks like agood amount of money. What I need help on is basically what am I not thinking of or forgetting. Anyone familiar with these parts that could chime in to see if they will work together or if im missing something would be very very helpful:

Here is what I'll be using, a 4 axis setup with a Hypertherm 45 XP and will mainly be cutting thinner 14 ga stainless

I can basically buy either one of the complete kits and be good to go but here is a list of parts I think is complete to save a bit of cash below:

-Main control box complete from ProBotix for $899 this includes 4x 420 oz in stepper motors with wiring for each motor
    PROBOTIX UNITY CNC CONTROLLER

- 5V power suppply and Smoother stepper adapter so I can use Mach 3 and sheet cam on my "modern" laptop $190
    SmoothStepper Ethernet Motion Control Board for Mach 3 Stepper Motor | Stepper Motor Driver | CNC Router | Laser Machine | 3D Printers For Sale
    High-Torque Stepper Motor, Stepper Motor, Driver, Stepper Motor kit, DC Servo Motor, DC Servo Motor kit, Stepper Motor Power Supply, CNC Router, Spindle, and other Components. Stepper Motor | Stepper Motor Driver | CNC Router | Laser Machine | 3D Prin
    ( I know ill need some wires and such to run this from power source to the control box etc)

-Hyperthem machine interface cable 14 pin with sensor wires for Voltage reading for automatic Height control $80
    (part number unknown)

-proma electronika THC $285
    Proma-Elektronika - Produkty

-Mach 3
    -sheet Cam

I believe this would be all I would need, any input as what I am forgetting would be really greatfull, I am also in question on weather I need limit switches? if so is there any that will work with this unit. at a price of about $1455 This is looking quite more desirable than the aforementioned complete kits from candcnc and cncrouterparts.

Thanks guys Uploaded is a picture of my Table base I just finished.

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Have my machine, now i just need some help with electric control parts (have list)-20170706_112345-jpg  

Default Re: Have my machine, now i just need some help with electric control parts (have list

Here is also my limiting switches, and Emergency stop parts
    PROBOTIX 1.5in Latching E-Stop Switch w/ Enclosure
    3x PROBOTIX Heavy Duty Limit Switch

Default Re: Have my machine, now i just need some help with electric control parts (have list

I also have read nothing but good things about the Geko G540 so if anyone makes a control box using that would very helpful as well.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

If you can, I would definitely recommend using CandCNC.
    Its worth the wait, no matter how many weeks it is out.
    Good things take time.
    I have spoken to Tom before.
    He has a bit of an attitude, but let me say this: THAT GUY KNOWS HIS STUFF. A genius.

Downloads
    Uploads

I can't say enough good things about these guys:

They teamed up with Proma to make exactly what you're looking for.

thanks for the reply I talked to him to actually and I did for sure get the notion he was kind of an ass haha. He was very straight and to the point. His system looks very nice and I have heard nothing but good things, but using the G540 and their price tag of $2600 I thought I could build roughly the same thing using a different height control for $1000 less. and I really didnt want to have to use and buy a second computer when I didnt need one. That was my notion to using an ethernet smooth stepper.

that looks about like the parts I had listed to build, this seems to lack the Ethernet smooth stepper , i am assuming I can add that with the 5v power supply for it? How Do I contact this guy?

Does he have any contact info?

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by LureMin View Post
    that looks about like the parts I had listed to build, this seems to lack the Ethernet smooth stepper , i am assuming I can add that with the 5v power supply for it? How Do I contact this guy?
    Email on their youtube page is: Storm2313@gmail.com

This is their ebay store and they respond quickly there too: E-dealers direct

I would add that I would consider using CNCdrive components rather than the smoothstepper, but I'm sure they could advise you better than I can.

do you have a link to those componets? I have only seen the smooth stepper and the USB conversion to use with modern computers. Im running windows 10 and want to use mach 3 and sheetcam

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by LureMin View Post
    do you have a link to those componets? I have only seen the smooth stepper and the USB conversion to use with modern computers. Im running windows 10 and want to use mach 3 and sheetcam
    Ethernet:
    UC400
    UC300 ETH

USB:
    UC300 USB
    UC100

These will work with MACH3, but they also have their own control software which has a better motion planner than Mach. I don't know the ins and outs of using it for plasma though. I use a UC100 and g540 on my DIY router and am very pleased with it.

I was going to do either the Ethernet or the UC100, the UC100 would def be alot easier to hook up to use, but I thought the Thernet would be more robust. but over complicating things isnt always best. It would def be alot less wireing using the UC100..

besides the feedback you get with a router everything else should be the same, potentially easier with a plasma as you have no feedback from machining.

Do you run a g540 driver?

Downloads
    Uploads

I think I would go with something ethernet based for a plasma machine, because my understanding is that there is a significant amount of EMI when the torch fires. I believe USB is more susceptible to interference.

I have a a g540 connected through the UC100. The UC100 eliminated some problems I was having with random faults on my machine (due to a crappy parallel port on my computer) and just makes everything run smoother. CNCdrive has a forum that I would recommend joining and asking questions. Users and developers are pretty active on there and there is a section dedicated to plasma users.

Also, I'm not sure if they are all compatible with windows 10. I've been using Win 7 on my machine.

forum

Last edited by manofmanyhats; 07-10-2017 at 10:56 AM. Reason: spelling

Ok thanks!

Downloads
    Uploads

If you are not wedded to Windows, and you like the idea of ethernet, you could consider LinuxCNC and a Mesa 7i76e card. (but a laptop won't be a good choice for the PC)

I am just finishing my table but I'm almost ready to cut something after getting thi sfar on the weekend

I think the Mesa 7i76e is just made for plasma as it has so much flexibility and so many inputs and outputs. Plasma seems to need a few more than other machines..

Rod Webster
    www.vmn.com.au

Downloads
    Uploads

Not sure where you got the 2800 number. The Most Popular bundle 4 motor system WITH the PC, with all Software and an ohmic sensor with free shipping is $2465.00 That includes the DTHCIV high speed THC that runs up to 10 times faster than the basic UP/DOWN unit. If all you want to do is some hobby cuts once in a while or never cut anything thinner than 10ga that slower THC will work okay for you. Its less than a true comparison. Another fallacy is that plasma is easier than routing. Far from it. Its done at MUCH higher feedrates with the torch hovering above the metal at .063. The material warps bows up and down some times rather dramatically. Guys that transition from routing or milling are surprised at all of the things you have to do with plasma to make it cut right .

Another option that might not be as obvious is the MP3600 product that will plug directly into a G540 and still has all of the advanced I/O, DTHCIV and uses LINUX and CommandCNC comes free with the package. Its a 1000 bucks less but still has the same advance features for doing automated cutting.

While it's good to not over complicate things its also worse to over simplify. its never as simple as buying a bunch of parts from various vendors and just hooking them up. I have seen guys spend days or even months getting everything to geehaw right!

If you have lots of time and patience, building your own CNC plasma table from parts and pieces is a rewarding learning experience. If you work for free then the savings can be substantial in dollars.

TOMcaudle
    www.CandCNC.com

Thanks for the reply's guys, And thank you Tom I actually called your place last week but you weren't in, I think I spoke to someone else. I had your system in mind as I have heard nothing but great things about Candcnc but budget always comes into play. I wanted to do a DIY as I put the table together as a kit, and love the learning experience But budget was coming up quick and thats the main reason for wanting to put the electronics together myself.

I did take the advice from a forum member and contacted Vince whom specializes in automation for various machines, he was beyond knowledgeable and does DIY kits as well as turn key. And at a great price. I highly recommend him, He spent over an hour with me a few times on the phone explaining the options, and schooling me on the electrical aspect of it all. He set me up with a DIY kit with these componets below.

Gecko G540 Rev (2017) Latest Model 4 Axis Digital Driver System
    48v 12.5a Power Supply 110v/220v selectable
    EMI shielded aluminum pre milled enclosure for the system including all required switches, and ports
    48v Sanyo Denki High Volume 60mmx38mm 60CFM 10,000RPM cooling fan with Heatsink package for the G540 to complete the cooling system.
    4 10ft double shielded pre-made motors cables
    4 600oz 3.5a Dual 1/4in Shaft Steppers
    4 Pro-solderless connectors to connect your motors to their cables without soldering.
    UC-100 USB Motion Controller
    Upgraded double shielded USB cable for the UC-100
    Proma THC (2 year warranty with remote desktop support)
    12v 2a power supply for Proma
    6ft Double Shielded 18/4 signal cable to wire in the Proma
    IEC power cord for the system

This should get me in the area I think I want to be. and cant wait to get it all ran , it makes a great addition to the shop . I just got done wiring in my sub panel over where the machine will be with 2 220V, and 8 110 outlets. I will have a water table, and a Vent hood as I will be cutting in the Air conditioned in doors and getting my custom spray cabinet ready for some powder coating.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Have my machine, now i just need some help with electric control parts (have list)-20170706_112345-jpg   Have my machine, now i just need some help with electric control parts (have list)-20170708_134952-jpg   Have my machine, now i just need some help with electric control parts (have list)-20170711_131802-jpg   Have my machine, now i just need some help with electric control parts (have list)-20170711_212909-jpg  

Have my machine, now i just need some help with electric control parts (have list)-20170706_175356-jpg