Need Help! Advice needed on new to me plasma with mystery gantry

Thread: Advice needed on new to me plasma with mystery gantry

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Advice needed on new to me plasma with mystery gantry

I picked this guy up off Craigslist yesterday.

It included a DeepGroove1 Geko G540 driver and power supply:

And an old THC300 in a hacked up computer power supply case:

I was hoping I could get the motion working and see how it moves before I spend any more on it. I have a Mach3 license on another machine (router), but it's 64 bit Windows 7. Big picture I'm going to buy the Hypertherm 45XP.

The PO said he bought the gantry pre-assembled. It has a ballscrew Z with a limit switch. The X and Y motion is rack and pinion with bearings on hardened steel plate. Everything moves around by hand nice. It obviously needs some cleanup and paint, and cable management.

In looking around it looks like the UC100 would get the 64 bit Win 7 talking to the G540 for around $100..

In looking at CandCNC's offerings I'm not sure which one would be suit me. I know I want THC and I know his stuff is highly regarded. Do I keep the G540 and steppers I have an go with the MP3600? Or do I wait until I can buy a complete new system like the BladeRunner 620-4 "Most Popular" bundle?

Does anyone recognize the gantry? Am I wasting $100 on the UC100 if I'm thinking about the CandCNC controls?

I appreciate any input and advice.

Similar Threads:
    Last edited by slodat; 05-29-2017 at 11:55 AM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Advice needed on new to me plasma with mystery gantry

A few more photos of the gantry.

Downloads
    Uploads

Got the motion working with Mach3 on Windows 10 and a UC100. Going to swap the UC100 out for a Ethernet Smoothstepper so I can run the THC-300. The steppers run the gantry quite nicely.

I had this nice Hoffman enclosure so I decided to use it to house all of the controls. Welded studs on. Looks good and will work great!

I'm going to order a Razorweld Razor Cut 30 to get this thing going. Thinking I'll have a sheetmetal shop weld up a water table tray.

Downloads
    Uploads

Added water table cross supports made out of 1.5" square tubing I had on hand.

I'm going to sand it all down with 80 grit, prime and paint.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Downloads
    Uploads

Plasma cutter arrived. Razorweld Viper Cut 30. It will get me cutting. When budget allows, I'll upgrade to a Hypertherm.

Had some help last night on the plasma table frame. It's getting close to being sanded down and ready for paint.

I'll paint it once I make wire trays to support the cable chain. I'm pretty sure I figured out the origin of the machine. Looks to be an early Pro Cut CNC bolt together table. ESS should be here tomorrow.