New Machine Build plasma gearing question

Thread: plasma gearing question

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default plasma gearing question

I looking at using a 20 pitch rack gear 1 inch die . belt reduction 16 tooth on motor and 60 tooth on rack gear I believe that's 3.75 to 1 I have a 900 oz. nmea 34 hybrid stepper 8 wire with half inch shaft
    my motor pulley is 1/4 inch I would have to boar it out to ½ inch not leaving much meat there. I can use a 15 tooth with a 1/2 hole and use the 60 tooth and get 4 to 1 or I can use a 48 tooth steel pulley that would be 3.2

My question would be what is the ideal ratio? Does it really matter 4 to 1. 3to1. or 3.5 to one this is a plasma cutter I will add an air scribe down the road
    One last thing do the steppers need to be all the same size 900 on the z would be way overkill
    Do they all have to be nmea 34 or can I mix 24 the gantry will have 900 on it this is just the z

Thanks Jeff c

Similar Threads:

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: plasma gearing question

The precision of the movement for a 20 pitch rack and pinion system doesn't change with the ratio of the gearing. The efficiency of the motor changes but I don't think that's what you're asking. You can mix and match any motor on your system. You can have one stepper, one servo, and one nema 17 if you want, as long as you can control when and how much they move. Why are you worried? You are only going to be moving the cutting head not the workpiece. The stress and strain on your motors and gearing are next to nothing.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: plasma gearing question

plasma gearing question-gantry-ends-back-jpgplasma gearing question-gantry-ends-top-jpgplasma gearing question-gantry-jig3-closeup-jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by kdoney View Post
    The precision of the movement for a 20 pitch rack and pinion system doesn't change with the ratio of the gearing. The efficiency of the motor changes but I don't think that's what you're asking. You can mix and match any motor on your system. You can have one stepper, one servo, and one nema 17 if you want, as long as you can control when and how much they move. Why are you worried? You are only going to be moving the cutting head not the workpiece. The stress and strain on your motors and gearing are next to nothing.
    I just wanted to get the gear reduction the best I could I found a 15 tooth 1/2 in shaft belt gear and a 60 tooth belt gear from what I read I be fine I using 900 oz 34 motors except the z I use some smaller

- - - Updated - - -

plasma gearing question-gantry-ends-jpg