Stepper max rpm

Thread: Stepper max rpm

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Stepper max rpm

Stepper RPM is proportional-to the applied voltage. The more voltage you apply the faster they spin.. That being said the thing you have to understand is that the faster you spin them the less torque you have. At some point they stall (lose steps) the greater the load they have to move the sooner they stall. Those motors with those drivers and a 36V source with a moderate load (just moving the machine; not cutting) will top out at about 450 to 500 RPM before they stall/ Sitting on a table with no load they may hit 800 or more but it is not usable RPM. It's best to design around about 50% of max RPM for cutting speeds. At 48 volts they would spin faster. A whole lot depends on the weight (mass) of what you are moving and how much acceleration you need at full cutting speeds (not rapids). Final drive ratios need to be a balance of speed versus torque. You always trade one for the other. The optimum speed will be dependent on what type of cutting you are doing. For plasma the best balance is to have roughly 1" of linear motion for one motor REV. For routers you need about about .6 inch per rev. Because steppers lose torque with RPM just changing the ratio to get more torque either limits you speeds or you lose what you gain from increasing the motor RPM.

The numbers can be tricky but you can't cheat Physics

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for the reply,I'm using them for a 8x4 plasma, 2 on the gantry that weighs about 15kg,running gear will be 5T belt,was going to run direct drive on a 13 tooth pulley but if they can spin that fast I guess I'll need to gear it down a bit

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I found this handy calculator Stepper Motor Calculator This is saying my max rpm would be 264rpm so should I half this as being my normal working speeds 132rpm

Downloads
    Uploads

Based on lots of actual testing that number sounds really low if the motor is not loaded. There are other factors (rotor inertia, type of motor , step signal purity,,etc) that I doubt a simple formula can predict the stall RPM of a stepper.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

So should I go with 500rpm as a ball park figure half that to 250rpm and work out my gearing from there or would I be ok with direct drive on a 13 tooth t5 pulley,that will give me around 65mm for every revolution,that's 0.325mm for every step but I'll be using micro steps so that will greatly improve my tolerance, with the 2 motors on the gantry rated at 30kg/cm each that should give me torque that I'll never need on a 15kg gantry..

what do you think?

I'm very thankful for your time and knowledge.