Which 4x4 plasmaCNC / torch system?

Thread: Which 4x4 plasmaCNC / torch system?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Which 4x4 plasmaCNC / torch system?

Good afternoon all,

Looking to get some input on the best system for the price. I am looking for a 4x4 table for my company to cut up to 1/8" thick aluminum (6061 and 5052 series) as well as up to .06" mild steel.

The tolerances are important as we make electronics testing product, not only art and signs.

I'm an advanced CNC programmer and machinist but have not had experience with plasma yet, only 3D milling and 2D water jet.

What do people recommend for a company to go to for the 4x4 table? Is it best to pick out your table brand and torch brand separately?

It seems, and this is my opinion only before trying, that PlasmaCAM is more for art and signs whereas Dynatorch is more for industrial mechanical parts - at least from their website and customer focus.

Can I get some feedback from experienced users? What do you love/hate about your machine and what type of maintenance/repairs do you find yourself doing repeatedly?

Thanks and regards
    Alex

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Which 4x4 plasmaCNC / torch system?

Question if you have a waterjet why do you Need an Plasma Cutter what benefits do you expect ?

Gesendet von meinem iPad mit Tapatalk

Monkeywrench Technician DareBee's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads

You will need a very fast table for those materials, must also be rigid to withstand the high moments of inertia.
    You will also want a plasma source with "Finecut" ability

www.integratedmechanical.ca

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Going from waterjet to plasma simply because of the price difference. Our old water jet is falling apart and management wants a cheaper solution for the next machine.

Downloads
    Uploads

The single most important parameter for a plasma table is the acceleration number. it determines how closely the torch can track the actual tool path and how well it "corners" and makes sharp turns. The faster the cut speed the higher the acceleration needs to be. To do cutting at 250 to 300 IPM you need to have a minumum of 25 IPS/sec acceleration and more is better. The THC needs to be fast enough to handle cutting at those speeds. You have to have some form of IHS (Initial Height Sensing) to sense where the top of the material is because it moves and the THC can only measure height while the torch is cutting. The resolution (smallest distance that one step from the controller moves the axis is defined by the linear mechanics of the table. The Z mechanism needs to be rigid to prevent the torch from vibrating as rapid changes are made.

If you cannot get specific numbers from a vendor and a guarantee it will perform at those levels , walk away. Make sure you can get the level of cut you need from plasma. The difference between WJ and plasma can be a lot. Plasma is a very good and fast process but it is not precision machining. A lot of things have to be correct to get acceptable results from plasma. Work with a vendor that understands those things.

TOMcaudle
    www.CandCNC.com

Downloads
    Uploads

What are your tolerance requirements on the aluminum and steel parts? The PlasmaCam table is considered a hobby class table....the Dynatorch machine is just above the hobby class....often referred to as "light industrial" tables. If you are looking for best productivity, tolerance, and repeatability (depending on your needs) you may need to look at higher end precision cnc machines as well as high definition clas plasma systems. There is certainly a wide range of accuracy expectations, machine pricing expectations and plasma system expectations that will all affect the parts being cut. 4 x 4 machines can start at pricess under $10k, and go as high as $80k depending on your needs and expectations in regards to productivity and accuracy.

Jim Colt Hypertherm

Quote Originally Posted by burnthills View Post
    Good afternoon all,

Looking to get some input on the best system for the price. I am looking for a 4x4 table for my company to cut up to 1/8" thick aluminum (6061 and 5052 series) as well as up to .06" mild steel.

The tolerances are important as we make electronics testing product, not only art and signs.

I'm an advanced CNC programmer and machinist but have not had experience with plasma yet, only 3D milling and 2D water jet.

What do people recommend for a company to go to for the 4x4 table? Is it best to pick out your table brand and torch brand separately?

It seems, and this is my opinion only before trying, that PlasmaCAM is more for art and signs whereas Dynatorch is more for industrial mechanical parts - at least from their website and customer focus.

Can I get some feedback from experienced users? What do you love/hate about your machine and what type of maintenance/repairs do you find yourself doing repeatedly?

Thanks and regards
    Alex