What CAD software do you use?

Thread: What CAD software do you use?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default What CAD software do you use?

There are a lot of options out there but we all want the same thing: easiest way to get a clean drawing and export it to DXF/G-Code.
    For me I'd like to be able to input scans or images into the CAD and export them into DXF/G-Code.
    There is some 2D CAD software out there that will even put the lead ins/outs in there for you so you don't have to export to something like sheetcam first.

What do you recommend?
    For me I'd like something that's not only simple and easy to use, but popular. I'd like to keep it under $1500.

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

solidworks
    nx

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I think maybe a free 2D cad program like Draftsight and then Sheetcam might be your best bet for $175.00. Sheetcam does so much more than just lead in/outs.
    IE. pierce /cut height, cut direction, nesting etc. etc.
    You also might want to look at Vectric's "Vcarve Pro". It can import images and trace to get vectors then export to DXF. At $600.00 you are still way under budget. Plus if you want to try a router and cut wood you are all set.

Mike

Downloads
    Uploads

For my 2 1/2D work, I use Draftsight cad (DraftSight - Free* CAD software for your DWG files - Dassault Systèmes) and Sheetcam (Welcome to SheetCam) combination. Draftsight is a free clone of autocad and can import dwg and dxf files as well as save them. It will not however do any conversion of pdf or image files, but you can import them and do tracing. Sheetcam is a reasonably priced cam program that will take various imports including dxf and has the ability to do leadin etc. Service is also great and improvements are being made all the time.
    I find this to be a reasonably priced system for my uses, YMMV. Just a satisfied customer.

Art
    AKA Country Bubba (Older Than Dirt)

Downloads
    Uploads

I have been using TurboCAD for about 12 years now. It is inexpensive and provides a great deal of features for both 2D and 3D.

Downloads
    Uploads

I use Sheetcam for the Cam portion. I have switched from Autocad to Corel Draw for the CAD part. With Corel, I can import Jpegs or virtually any picture and convert it to vectors, make any changes needed or design a new part and then export a DXF for Sheetcam. There is also a add-on called DXF Tool which will clean up arcs, circles, etc and reduce the number of nodes to give really clean and smooth cuts. Also, the program is accurate enough for Plasma, easily down to a thousandth / inch on the drawings.

You can get an older version (X4, X5, etc.) which have all the features needed for short money on Ebay. One thing to note is that Corel is a fairly complicated program and has a steep learning curve but there are plenty of tutorials on line.

Willy

Downloads
    Uploads

One more option: Inkscape (freeware) which is a CorelDraw Clone and has some limitations but it's native file format is SVG and SheetCAM has an SVG import. Sorry can't get close to your $1500 budget(

You will find things in SheetCAM TNG that will totally amaze you. It is probably the best deal on the planet for CAM work.

Example: You can setup Action Points on a cut line (contour) and do all kinds of stuff int he middle of a cut. The next release will have CUT RULES that let you set runs based on the toolpath such as "Before End" or "On Small Hole" soit applies the rule to every object that meets that rule.

TOMcaudle
    www.CandCNC.com
    "Excellence in Engineering"

Downloads
    Uploads

Rhino for me
    Jbob

Sent from my GT-I8160 using Tapatalk 2

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Draft Sight with MTC Pronest.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: What CAD software do you use?

Does anyone use Adobe Illustrator? I happen to already have that, so was hoping it would work. As I understand it, it's pretty much the same thing as CorelDraw...vector based and exports DXF files.

If Illustrator would work, would that plus something like SheetCAM give me a functional table?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Mastercam X7

Downloads
    Uploads

Check out this CNC Software Ajan CNC Machines Software

This automatic nesting and optimization software is easy to learn and practical to use. It increases the productivity providing quick and effective machining with less remnants. New versions will be developed and released in consideration of customer satisfaction and their feedback.

www.ajancnc.com