Plasmaroute CNC Blaze2 CNC machine review

Page 1 of 21 123411 ... LastLast

Thread: Plasmaroute CNC Blaze2 CNC machine review

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Plasmaroute CNC Blaze2 CNC machine review

If you are in the market for a CNC Plasma cutting system then you should read my review of the Plasmaroute CNC Blaze2.

I own a successful fabrication shop in Campbell, CA. where we build and maintain race cars. I had always wanted to have a CNC cutting machine in the shop as it would open up 1000's of new possibilities. Everything from cutting out simple tabs to manufacturing entire products for resale. It would give me the opportunity to be on a whole other level than any of my competitors shops!

The cool factor was always appealing as well.

Like most of you I began to research which type of system I would like to purchase. A waterjet seemed ideal but was still out of my price range. A Laser would prove to be out my budget as well. The plasma seemed like the best choice but definitely left me with some concerns.

I had seen a few of these CNC Plasma tables in action and it seemed like the mess to productivity ratio made it hardly worth the investment. A shop in my area had purchased a Torchmate system. The Torchmate seemed like a nice machine. Well made, good parts, nice results. But after 2 months the entire shop was covered with plasma cutting dust. Even after they cleaned the shop extensively it was still in every nook and cranny of the place! This was a major turn off to the whole CNC plasma process. After some research I found that there are ways to properly control the dust output. Most common are either a DownDraft system which uses ducting, fans, filters, and a dust collector, or a water table. I was drawn to the water table method as it required less space and seemed the most efficient. The Blaze2 came equipped with a water table at no extra charge. That was shocking since most companies charge an extra $2500 for the option.

The next concern was durability and longevity. Let's face it. Our tools get used hard, and when they break down we loose money!
    The Plasmaroute immediately caught my attention with the massive completely welded steel box construction. The Blaze2 is built like a tank and is sturdier than our fabrication tables at the shop! No lego style extruded aluminum here. All solid American steel! The gantry was also extremely sturdy with dual linear guide rails, steel boom, and substantial torch holder assembly. Really nicely made billet aluminum construction was also a nice surprise.

My last major concern was support. The last thing I want is to make an investment on a machine and not be able to get parts, support, service. I can honestly say I will never buy a complicated machine like this from someone out of the country. After calling Plasmaroute a few times and dealing with Steve and Nikki all my reservations were put to rest. They were never too busy to spend time with me or to answer any questions I had. They have even offered to give me some late night support when I was first trying to figure out how to run the machine.

Now that I had decided that Plasmaroute was going to get my business I had other small questions such as which Plasma, torch style, options, ect. Steve and Nikki were very helpful with helping me determine which options to get. I ended up going with the Thermal Dynamics Cut Master A40 with full machine torch, Stepper motor drive as I would not be doing full production work, and their awesome little air scribe attachment.

Upon placing the order I was immediately emailed the invoice, and sent an email from Nikki with the status of the order with the options listed.
    Now that's service!

Fast forward a few weeks.

I had been receiving status updates from Niki via email every week and it was finally shipping time. To be honest I still had no real idea on if I would be able to operate this machine when it arrived. I had no real CNC experience and am not great with computers.

When the machine arrived I was in shock because of the size of the crate. It was about 10ft x 8ft x 4ft. Wow!

After we removed the crate it was nice to see the level of detail that Plasmaroute put into packaging everything neatly and securely.

The Gantry was already attached along with the great little scribe. It was a nice surprise to see that the entire assembly was billet aluminum!

Once we attached the legs, and filled the water table we were ready to cut! No adjustments needed. Everything was already adjusted and ready to go!

After a quick setup of the computer, wiring, and some air hoses we were cutting parts the same day!

Here is josh cutting out something.

I was surprised at how easy the design, programming, and operation of the machine is. Anyone can do it once they learn a few easy steps. It has really helped my business grow. The quality of our work has gone up tremendously. We now make all of our roll cage mounting plates, gussets, control arms, gauge panels, brackets, seat mounts, and everything we can with it!

The air scribe is in one word "Awesome". We can make sweet little gauge panels and engrave labels, switch panels with all the markings. We even layout our sheet metal pieces with all the bend marks scribed right onto the metal!

I hope my lengthy review of the Blaze2 CNC machine has been helpful to other people here who were in my same situation. Feel free to email me at Blu808.com@gmail.com if you guys have any questions. Or I'm sure if you give Plasmaroute a ring they will be happy to help as well.

Thanks.
    Luke
    Welcome to Blu808 - Engineering Performance

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for your detailed review.I have been looking at this machine for a while now along with others.I was just starting to get attracted to a torchmate but now you have me 2nd guessing.I do have a few questions for you.

What size compressor are you using with this setup? I currently have a 60 gallon,5HP Ingersoll Rand but im wondering if I need to get an 80 gallon.

The cutting area is 4x4 basically,what is the overall width/length on this? Im guessing its not much more added to the cutting area but then again it did come on a huge pallet.

And last question...do you have any pictures of stuff you've cut? My max on my parts will be 3/8 thick and curious how these torches are handling that or close to that thickness.

Im still working on my new workshop so I have plenty of time to decide on a machine.Im super anxious though especially since im spending good $$$ on waterjet cutting for my basic cut outs I need.They are simple enough for a plasma thats for sure.I'll be so happy when I finally get my own table.Looking forward to your reply,thanks.

-Alex

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for your detailed review.I have been looking at this machine for a while now along with others.I was just starting to get attracted to a torchmate but now you have me 2nd guessing.I do have a few questions for you.

What size compressor are you using with this setup? I was using a Husky 60 gallon but it had an oil leak and destroyed itself. The 60 gallon should work fine.

The cutting area is 4x4 basically,what is the overall width/length on this? 5FT X 5FT not including the computer of course.

And last question...do you have any pictures of stuff you've cut? I will get some pictures here in the next day or so. 3/8 is not even a task for this machine. Once you have the settings down it will run 3/8 plate all day. Even small holes and designs in 3/8" plate is no problem!

Downloads
    Uploads

That's a great review! It's amazing how many guys are looking into these tables. I too have been researching for about 2 months now. I want a turn key setup because like many others have already said...if you look into the time it takes to save that much money...It's definitely worth pricing a turnkey setup. I have looked at all the tables too and quoted them.

PlasmaCam has really come a long way in the past few years from what I have found reading reviews, posts, etc.

I was almost settled on Torchmate but THC should not be an option...if you're paying this kind of cash, everything should be there. Don't under price the product to get people looking at you and then tell them about the "options."

DynaTorch is a great system IMO, but last time I talked to a rep it was gonna be around 2 months before delivery. So by few weeks, how long did it take from getting the invoice to getting it setup in the shop?

Gooduck, it's a nice setup man...hope you can post pics of some cutouts before long.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I have been getting a ton of messages and emails with questions about this table.

We talked with Plasmaroute and decided to make a video showing all the aspects of the machine that you need to know about when considering a machine.

I take you through the entire process of designing the part, converting it to a G code, and cutting it out.

Watch it here and let me know what you guys think.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks Luke,

Very good job on the video.

Rick

Downloads
    Uploads

Great video! helped me make up my mind up to order one. It won't be here till mid march but I get to go to the factory next week and train on it. Can't wait. I looked at building my own for the past 2 years, but when I looked at the time it would take and having money tied up in it all that time, I figured it was better to bite the bullet and have a fully operational machine up and running making money from the beginning than needing something that wasn't operational over the build time and then go through the adjusting and correcting stage to get it right. This way I should have sell able parts in a day or two. Will see soon.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Diverdude View Post
    Great video! helped me make up my mind up to order one. It won't be here till mid march but I get to go to the factory next week and train on it. Can't wait. I looked at building my own for the past 2 years, but when I looked at the time it would take and having money tied up in it all that time, I figured it was better to bite the bullet and have a fully operational machine up and running making money from the beginning than needing something that wasn't operational over the build time and then go through the adjusting and correcting stage to get it right. This way I should have sell able parts in a day or two. Will see soon.
    Mine should be ready about the same time,have you went up there and got trained on it yet?

Downloads
    Uploads

Yes I did, I had a 5 day weekend in feb. so I went up there and did the training. It went good, and I picked up some good ideas of what these things are capable of. Talked to Sherry yesterday and she told me mine was painted and waiting on the gantry. Might get a slight delay becasue I added the scribe to it.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Fantastic lol makes me want to get up there and get mine. Do you think the software is easily understood?

Downloads
    Uploads

My 2 months since payment received is on the 17th of next month.I haven't got an update on my table so I guess i'll call them at the 1 month mark just to see how its going.

On the training it was a 1 day class correct? I should go beforehand cause I know when I go pick up the table i'll be ready to come home right away.

Downloads
    Uploads

Billy j. I went to the art cam website and downloaded the demo version of their software. Lets you do everthing on it except save so I watched you tube videos and made things on it before going, made it much easier. you can also get demo versions of sheetcam and mach3
    Allykat, yes if you go there its a one day training, they like to do it at pickup time so you get to use and get familier with your machine, I just had time then that I won't have at the end of this month when its finished.

Downloads
    Uploads

Allykat, yes if you go there its a one day training, they like to do it at pickup time so you get to use and get familier with your machine
    That makes sense,i guess it will be longest trip back home cause im gonna be so ready to cut out stuff at my shop.

What torch did you go with? I went with the A60.I need to cut 3/8 rather clean.Most of the stuff i will do is gonna be 1/4 and under though.

Downloads
    Uploads

I already had a cutmaster 52, I did add the mavhine torch to it. I have about 10 parts waiting to be cut right now, so it's not only me getting ansy, but everybody that knows I'm getting a table.

Downloads
    Uploads

I already had a cutmaster 52, I did add the mavhine torch to it. I have about 10 parts waiting to be cut right now, so it's not only me getting ansy, but everybody that knows I'm getting a table.
    Do you do other types of metal working?

I keep busy with powdercoating and building custom pieces for some scoots but i spend a ton on waterjetting basic shapes which is why I wanted a table so bad.Hopefully it doesn't let me down.The A60 has 3/8 production cut with 5/8 max so i should be ok.

Whats good on my end is my friend that has been doing all my design work says ArtCam is a breeze for him.He uses AutoDesk/SolidWorks on the regular for his job so its a big plus to have him on my team.I just need to take him with me when i pick up the table in case I do like in high school and not listen so well to the lectures.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Its seems amazing 3 of us are getting our machines within days of each other lol. I can already see my regular work is going to get in the way of playing with new toy. Oh well gotta work to buy toys.

Downloads
    Uploads

I've been doing metal fabrication for a truck company on and off for 16 years, I am hoping to move out on my own with this machine and do more than they can. That way they can hire my business to build things instead of just working for them. I've been building a collection of tools to run a fab shop with for years(benders, welders, saws), this is just the last step to get it rolling. Then you replace it all with bigger better stuff. So far no one around me has a table I know of except big industries. How that turns into lots of business.

Downloads
    Uploads

I called today and im actually #14 on the list.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

hey Alleycat, you said you stay busy powder coating, you have your own oven? I finally got my table up and running, not the blaze. "you tube" makes it look too easy. I might want to get some stuff coated, i'm here in SE houston. Did you get the water table added on. It's nice that you have someone to draw for you, that's where i'm stuck at,

Page 1 of 21 123411 ... LastLast