DIY plasma tubing cutter?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DIY plasma tubing cutter?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default DIY plasma tubing cutter?

Im looking for a DIY Kit or plans to build a cnc plasma tubing cutter for my shop. Anybody know of anyone offering such a setup? Thanks!

Brian

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default DIY Rotary

Precision Plasma LLC sells DIY CNC plasma kits. Here is a model of a simple cnc rotary tubing cutter.

This design uses a 6" 4 jaw chuck in which the tube moves under the torch. The complexity of the tubing cutter depends on the application. For instance, if you just wanted to cut tubes for fabricating roll cages, you would not require torch height control or even a motorized Z axis. If you want to cut square tubing, you would need both THC and a motorized Z axis, along with a UHMW tubing support, but with a round cut-out to match the diameter of the square tubing.
    Best regards,
    Ron Chacich

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by rchacich View Post
    Precision Plasma LLC sells DIY CNC plasma kits. Here is a model of a simple cnc rotary tubing cutter.

This design uses a 6" 4 jaw chuck in which the tube moves under the torch. The complexity of the tubing cutter depends on the application. For instance, if you just wanted to cut tubes for fabricating roll cages, you would not require torch height control or even a motorized Z axis. If you want to cut square tubing, you would need both THC and a motorized Z axis, along with a UHMW tubing support, but with a round cut-out to match the diameter of the square tubing.
    Best regards,
    Ron Chacich
    Thats what im looking for. Does anyone offer plans and designs for such a beast? Im just looking to cut anywhere for say 1in to 4in piping.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Ron I would like to know how much it would cost to get a second floating z axis and the rest of the parts to build this? would this support say a 6" schedule 40 pipe? I know my frame will but will the rotary I (we) bought actually support a piece of pipe that heavy in the length you have in your drawing. Got our table running pretty good now thanks to your help and help from Tom and Luke at CandCNC.

Downloads
    Uploads

This concept would work for 6" pipe, but you would require a large motor and belt reduction along with the proper size gear rack and pinion due to the weight of the pipe. You would also want to use roller balls to support the pipe to reduce the resistance when moving and rotating.

With heavy pipe, it would be easier to move the torch above the pipe rather than use this concept where the pipe is moved beneath the torch. You can then rotate the pipe on a pair of roller bearings.

Our Z axis runs $600 and now comes standard with a 2 start screw.

Downloads
    Uploads

Actually...most of the roll cage builders need another axis and software so that they can cut angles and "fishmouths" into pipe for proper fitup....resulting in saving time doing this with grinders and hole saw jigs.

There are a few cnc machines (some expensive industrial machines....some reasonably priced entry level and DIY type machines) that use a rotary drive and chuck....along with another axis as an attachment for pipe cutting. They also need software that can handle the rotary axis.

Some of the complex industrial machines can bevel, contour cut, and can handle square tube and pipe as well.

The machine Ron has drawn would work great for simple pipe cutoff.

Jim Colt Hypertherm

Best regards,
    Ron Chacich

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

While not CNC, I made a set of "collars" for a guy, that slipped over the pipe and had the "fish mouth" shape cut on the end. Then all he had to do was use that as a guide for his torch to cut the shape, kind of like using a piece of flat stock to guide the torch for a straight cut.

Downloads
    Uploads

Yeah...that works well....I still have some that were made from melamine (fiberglass) tube that slide over 1.5" and 1.75" roll cage tube to guide the plasma torch with...they work great. I used them almost 20 years ago....

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by packrat View Post
    While not CNC, I made a set of "collars" for a guy, that slipped over the pipe and had the "fish mouth" shape cut on the end. Then all he had to do was use that as a guide for his torch to cut the shape, kind of like using a piece of flat stock to guide the torch for a straight cut.

Downloads
    Uploads

We include the "Rotary Wizard" in our 5 axis bundles. It takes a flat 2D design and "wraps" it around a round object. It does it by recalibrating the rotary axis to set the number of steps to move the SURFACE of the cut one inch. You simple input the pipe size and it does the rest of the math.

So you draw it flattened out, You bring it into SheetCAm with the drawing width being the circumference of the pipe (shows up in the Rotary Wizard window) and you run it in rotary mode. The Rotary Wizard also does rectangular and square tube by indexing 4 times to cut each side.

So where do you get the magic flat layour of a birdsmouth or an ellipse where two pipes join at different angles?

If you have SolidWorks then you just draw it in 3D and unfold it to a flat 2D. For those of us not wealthy enough to own Solidworks, take a look at
    Digital Pipe Cutter Software. Will let you design the joints, see them in 3d and then (here is the important part) lets you export in DXF into Sheetcam, It brings across a bunch of grid lines and stuff that you can ignore in SheetCAM and it has in inside and outside toolpath. The Software is not terribly expensive for what you get, (around $500.00) You can get a demo that will only draw the cut paths if the angles are 53 degrees but everything else works. Coolest thing it being able to see the joint(s) in 3d and spin them around and stuff.

If you just HAVE to have a template you can print the design out and wrap it around the pipe and cut by hand but then who needs a CNC plasma cutter to do that?

We will have some stuff later this summer to make automated pipe cutting and angled tubing cuts even easier and less expensive.

TOMcaudle
    www.CandCNC.com

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Torchhead View Post
    We include the "Rotary Wizard" in our 5 axis bundles. It takes a flat 2D design and "wraps" it around a round object. It does it by recalibrating the rotary axis to set the number of steps to move the SURFACE of the cut one inch. You simple input the pipe size and it does the rest of the math.

So you draw it flattened out, You bring it into SheetCAm with the drawing width being the circumference of the pipe (shows up in the Rotary Wizard window) and you run it in rotary mode. The Rotary Wizard also does rectangular and square tube by indexing 4 times to cut each side.

So where do you get the magic flat layour of a birdsmouth or an ellipse where two pipes join at different angles?

If you have SolidWorks then you just draw it in 3D and unfold it to a flat 2D. For those of us not wealthy enough to own Solidworks, take a look at
    Digital Pipe Cutter Software. Will let you design the joints, see them in 3d and then (here is the important part) lets you export in DXF into Sheetcam, It brings across a bunch of grid lines and stuff that you can ignore in SheetCAM and it has in inside and outside toolpath. The Software is not terribly expensive for what you get, (around $500.00) You can get a demo that will only draw the cut paths if the angles are 53 degrees but everything else works. Coolest thing it being able to see the joint(s) in 3d and spin them around and stuff.

If you just HAVE to have a template you can print the design out and wrap it around the pipe and cut by hand but then who needs a CNC plasma cutter to do that?

We will have some stuff later this summer to make automated pipe cutting and angled tubing cuts even easier and less expensive.

TOMcaudle
    www.CandCNC.com

if you can flatten it, it should be simple enough just run the rotary axis with the signals/driver for one of axis on a 2D machine.

just need to calibrate rotation angle with circumference

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by langwadt View Post
    if you can flatten it, it should be simple enough just run the rotary axis with the signals/driver for one of axis on a 2D machine.

just need to calibrate rotation angle with circumference
    That is EXACTLY what the Rotary Wizard does automatically.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DIY plasma tubing cutter?-mp3000_dthc-rotary2-png  

Downloads
    Uploads

Best regards,
    Ron Chacich
    I went to your site to look at this machine/plans but didn't see it listed anywhere...does it exist?

Downloads
    Uploads

There has not been enough demand for us to manufacture a stand alone rotary tubing cutter and offer it as a product. We do sell quite a few of the rotary options, but they are used with a complete table.

The drawing is as simple concept on how it could done, but we never did get around to building it. If you want to build one, I would be willing to redesign it to how I would build it today. The picture shown was from a few years ago.

Today, I would build it out of 3" tubing and use 1/2" x 4" CRS for the linear motion for up to 12' of travel. If longer travel is required, I would use the linear system from our iplasma table, but use 3" tubing. This would make for a heavier design and would reduce the cost. We also now produce 3 different Zaxis and have a 4 jaw/3 jaw chuck option for the rotary to make it easy to chuck any material.

I have many more options for the design today since we have been continually expanding our product lines.

If you or anyone else wants to build a stand alone rotary tubing cutter, I would be interested developing the product. Since we build products at 10 or more at a time, we would not build the complete machine until there is enough market demand to do so. Up until that point, we could supply the critical components.

Best Regards,
    Ron Chacich

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I am very interested in a tube cutter.

Downloads
    Uploads

I will design a rotary tube cutter, but first I will need some parameters.

What type of parts are going to be made on the machine?

It would much easier to build a machine to perform only tube slicing and fishmouth cutting on round tubing up to 4" diameter. If that is all that is needed by a customer, I can design a very simple machine to perform the task.

The machine gets more complex if it would be used to cut square and round and also required holes or shapes cut out of the face of the square tubing. This requires an additional axis for the machine.

What length of tubing is going to be cut?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I would need a simple round tube design. Only up to 2" really. I guess 4" might come in handy some day. But I have to go down to 1" As for the length it would be cool to insert a 20' tube and have it lets say mount on the wall and just sit there. Then when I need it I use it. Should not take up that much room. That's what I am thinking would be the best. I go through a lot of 1", 1.25", 1.5", and 1.75" DOM tubing This is what the machine would be for. Also i would like a way to mark the tube for bending.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by aresfab View Post
    I would need a simple round tube design. Only up to 2" really. I guess 4" might come in handy some day. But I have to go down to 1" As for the length it would be cool to insert a 20' tube and have it lets say mount on the wall and just sit there. Then when I need it I use it. Should not take up that much room. That's what I am thinking would be the best. I go through a lot of 1", 1.25", 1.5", and 1.75" DOM tubing This is what the machine would be for. Also i would like a way to mark the tube for bending.
    Might be another option coming out. I've been following this guys build on a offroad forum.
    http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/shop-...g-machine.html

Or

something like this.
    CNC Router 4th Axis Rotary Chunk Rotational Tail Stock SHIP from USA | eBay

Downloads
    Uploads

The concept of the tubing cutter shown on Pirate 4X4 is along the same lines of what I was thinking. Since you want to cut 20' tubes, the most economical linear motion would be bearings running on square or rectangular tubing. High tolerance is not required, so tubing is the way to go.
    You will want a 3 jaw chuck since it is self centering. The link to the ebay chuck is a very good value and it fits your application. I also would have chosen a chain drive to move the carriage since you can get a simple reduction by using a belt reduction between the jack shaft and stepper motor.

You had another great idea abour marking the tube for bending. A surplus, air actuated linear slide purchased from ebay with a sharpie would give a low cost marking capability.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

We have built quite a few cnc pipe/tube cutters for both round and square/rectangular. Here is one that handles 24' long with an auto load.
    Dan
    LDR Motion Systems

www.ldrmotionsystems.com

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DIY plasma tubing cutter?-detroit-bikes-018-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Just an idea. How about adding a marking device (magic marker or scribe) to the z axis. To mark where the bends start ,end and the angle. Will make manual bending alot more accurate.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast