Best 4X4 Plasma for the $$$

Thread: Best 4X4 Plasma for the $$$

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Best 4X4 Plasma for the $$$

I've been snooping and reading and searching ebay and the web, but what is the best 4x4 plasma for the buck?

I don't want to build one from scratch, but I think what I would need is a complete gantry kit, electronics, motors, drivers. etc, and I'll built the table and water box.

I've seen several sub $5k units, even in the $2500 range, with ATHC. Are any of them good? Belt or no belt drive? I need the parts to be pretty decent, this is for production work, but not real high volume.....

CR

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

There is nothing wrong with belt drives...in fact most low cost machines have to use them in order to achieve plasma speed ranges (between 10 and 300 inches per minute). If you are only cutting materials thicker than 12 ga or so...then 150 ipm is adequate.....thinner and you need more speed and more acceleration for good cut quality.

A full featured height control is critical....it must be able to physically locate the plate serface before each cut cycle, retract to pierce height, then index to cut height...then activate arc voltage feedback (after the cut and motion starts) to maintain accurate height during the cut. I have never seen a 4 x 4 machine with full height control for less than about $7500....as the height control system alone sells for over $2500 (electronics and z axis hardware).

There are the major brands such as Torchmate, PlasmaCam (each has 10's of thousands in the field) as well as a dozen or so smaller companies that produce entry level machines. There also is www.candcnc.com that produce the electronics, software, motors and drives, and height controls at very reasonable prices....build your own machine or purchase from Armstrong Cnc and you can have a machine in the price rang you would like.

Jim Colt Hypertherm

Quote Originally Posted by ny_racer_xxx View Post
    I've been snooping and reading and searching ebay and the web, but what is the best 4x4 plasma for the buck?

I don't want to build one from scratch, but I think what I would need is a complete gantry kit, electronics, motors, drivers. etc, and I'll built the table and water box.

I've seen several sub $5k units, even in the $2500 range, with ATHC. Are any of them good? Belt or no belt drive? I need the parts to be pretty decent, this is for production work, but not real high volume.....

CR

Downloads
    Uploads

Give us a look. Our tables and kits are built to last!

We build CNC plasma tables and gantry kits, click me

Downloads
    Uploads

I got a quote from Torchmate TM1 with a ATHC, holy crap!!! About $8K for the kit minus the gantry for a 4x4. Don't get me wrong it looks like a nice kit, you have great support it's nicely designed and has great software, which is what you're paying for.

I wrote this because I'm looking for a sub $5k gantry complete, and I've seen several in the $2500 to $3500 all with ATHC, I just don't know if there are decent machines, meaning accurate and somewhat durable...

CR

Downloads
    Uploads

You know what they say,you get what you pay for.

My personal fav - it takes money,to make money!

JMD-18 CNC Converted & PlasmaRoute Blaze HD 4x4
    Ran by very custom dust covered cpu's

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Alleykat View Post
    You know what they say,you get what you pay for.

My personal fav - it takes money,to make money!
    I guess I'm screwed either way....

If I have to spend $30k or $40k for a machine, I'll keep sending it out to the waterjet guy...

I talked to MattZCNC again today, looks like he's getting a website up shortly. I'm probably going to go with his system...

CR

Downloads
    Uploads

I guess I'm screwed either way....

If I have to spend $30k or $40k for a machine, I'll keep sending it out to the waterjet guy...

I talked to MattZCNC again today, looks like he's getting a website up shortly. I'm probably going to go with his system...

CR
    Where did you get those prices from!? Thats ridiculous.Everyone has something about the machine they use.I have a plasmaroute table that I spent $12,xxx with the upgraded torch and state taxes included.

In the process of narrowing down my table choices I learned a lot.Lots of places post under $10k pricing...without a torch or other items.That is something to watch out for.Im sure other brands are great too but I like the fact mine came assembled except for bolting the torch.No setting the gantry on there,no nothing.I would expect no less than almost assembled after investing so much. If you have any questions we have an ever growing thread with several owners in there. http://www.cnczone.com/forums/cnc_pl...c_machine.html

The part that would cost me $100 to produce before thru waterjet shop now cost me like $5-10? No regrets here,love that its non proprietary.

Whatever table you go with most places offer financing.I got lucky and had funds to buy it outright with the help of my generous brother.

GL on your search.Took me a year to pick a table!

Downloads
    Uploads

Maybe I should call your brother?

Hey man, whatever you have, it's all good, I'm going a different route, and since nobody posted anything about any of these other machines listed in this forum, I guess I'll go it alone....

CR

Downloads
    Uploads

Maybe I should call your brother?

Hey man, whatever you have, it's all good, I'm going a different route, and since nobody posted anything about any of these other machines listed in this forum, I guess I'll go it alone....

CR
    Post some results when your up & running.Im sure your not the only one looking for a similar system.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Build your own, you'll save a bunch of money, a crap load actually, just takes a lot of time.. I sourced parts for 2 months before I even started.. my biggest costs were, gear racks, and electronics.. computer was put together from scrap parts from the same auction.. Computer cost me $0 and I have many spare computer parts.. I also own a mill and horizontal saw, mig and tig welders, drill press, and a good assortment of tools, tooling and precision tools.. Building isnt for everyone..

I think anyone that has built their own table will tell you, the actual fabrication is not what takes all the time, its the time spent designing and sourcing parts that will eat the most time..

picture of my table below, minus the 16ga. water table and slats and rail covers but they are figured in the price. I'm also considering building a separate heavy duty 2x2 cnc mill using my same basic design..

trucutcnc has a nice clean design..

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Best 4X4 Plasma for the $$$-img_20120824_093355-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Dynatorch just launched its 4x4 machine..

Check their website. The customer support is top notch..

good luck..

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by cstroke View Post
    Dynatorch just launched its 4x4 machine..

Check their website. The customer support is top notch..

good luck..
    Another $10k to start system...

I had a conversation with Matt Kool at Burn Tables, I believe the number was less that $10k and that was everything including a plate marker for a 4x4 machine.

CR

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Maybe you found one, however if not please check us out
    www.ldrmotionsystems.com
    our 4x4 is 5500$ and comes with everything including computer and digital torch height control. Fully assembled wired and running. Only thing not included is plasma cutter. We can add a hypertherm powermax 45 for 2100$ so you could be turnkey for $7600

Thanks
    Dan
    LDR Motion Systems