Roland Camm3 NC control

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Roland Camm3 NC control

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Roland Camm3 NC control

I have been offred a Roland Camm3 for very little money. From the limited info I have found on the net this seems to use a non-standard form of nc control called CAMM-GL1 language (Theres always a catch )
    Does anyone have anyone have any experience of this machine and is it possible to write a postprocessor for say BobCad or similar nc control SW?

Thanks in advance

Similar Threads:

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Roland CAD software

My father bought a Roland PCN3000 mill. We downloaded the Modela Player software from the Roland web site, along with two simple design programs. We've been able to produce an engraved name plate, but to do more than that we need to be able to import .dfx files from our CAD program. We're using something called 'Bobcad'.

We haven't been able to convert the bobcad .dfx files to a version that Modela Player will understand (the Modela Player help file says it will work with autocad version 12). We've downloaded a drawing converter and converted our bobcad .dfx files to autocad version 12, but still no luck.

Let me know if you want more info on the Roland software.

Tom

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default camm-3 controller

I recently was given a camm3, but sadly it has no control panel/switch box. Do i need this?course i do , what i mean is , can i use my computer to do all the functions the switch panel would?it has a cat5 connection. Somebody help me please!
    thanks

Downloads
    Uploads

I used to run a Roland PNC2300 which I think used the same form of HPGL derived coordinate code. I wrote an output for it for my CNC Toolkit way back so it might be worth a try to see if it works,

Rab

http://www.rainnea.com/cnc.htm

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Thanks

I'd like to try that code, can you send it to me, or do you mean it's included in the toolkit
    thanks

Downloads
    Uploads

It's one of the post-processor options in the toolkit,
    grab it from the yahoo group files section
    Rab

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default one more question

sorry i'm real real new to this board, which yahoo section ?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default DM3000 control panel

This is in reply to cncCNC's question about the controller box for the Dyna 3000 lathe. I believe the controller box is absolutely necessary - you have to tell the machine to 'get ready to receive' if you try to send it control info through the serial port. Besides, I think the controller box is the entire 'brains' of the lathe - there's a kit that lets you connect it directly to your computer (away from the machine) to upload/download programming information.

I've seen the controller boxes on eBay occasionally....

Tom

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

cam3 not dyna lathe

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Roland Camm3

Does anyone want to sell the Roland Camm3 or Roland 2500
    We still use them and need parts.

PLB

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

As far as I know the one I was offered is still there. Its in a local college (in Ireland) and has done about 5 hours work it was originally bought for milling PCB's but the software dongle was lost a few months after purchase and its remained idle ever since
    I can enquire if you wish though I suspect shipping to the US will be $$$

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi, I have a camm-3 With no control panel , Do you have any extra control panels? Do i need to use one , or is there a way to get around it ? Do you know the port and pin numbers it uses , and how many steps per inch/ and axis length?
    How much $ are you offering for a working one without the panel , i'd much rather make it work for me then sell it.
    Thanks

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by TomGray
    My father bought a Roland PCN3000 mill. We downloaded the Modela Player software from the Roland web site, along with two simple design programs. We've been able to produce an engraved name plate, but to do more than that we need to be able to import .dfx files from our CAD program. We're using something called 'Bobcad'.

We haven't been able to convert the bobcad .dfx files to a version that Modela Player will understand (the Modela Player help file says it will work with autocad version 12). We've downloaded a drawing converter and converted our bobcad .dfx files to autocad version 12, but still no luck.

Let me know if you want more info on the Roland software.

Tom

I recently acquired a CAMM-3 and have just gotten it mechanically functional.

I have not found were to download the Modela, although I found an upgrade site.

What did you do about the collets ?

I'm thinking about replacing the spindle so I can use an ED16 collet and hold larger (and cheaper) bits.

Dave

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by PLB
    Does anyone want to sell the Roland Camm3 or Roland 2500
    We still use them and need parts.

PLB

Do you have the origional manual ?

I am trying to find out what the DIP switches do.

I am also thinking about replacing the spindle with one that holds ER-16 collets to be able to hole a 3/8" end-mill

Dave

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi all,

After much searching for informatin on this machine, I started a yahoo group.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CAMM-3/

It will have links to the handful of web pages that discuss this machine as well as whatever else anyone can find or post.

Dave

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Camm3

Hi!

I'm new to all this, so excuse my stupid comments.

I'm 16 and I have treated myself to a Roland CAMM3 PNC-3000 and have had it for several months.

It's fully functional and has all the bells and whistles etc.
    So basically, if any one needs any info (dil / dip etc.) I could give you a photocopy of the manual etc. etc. (not got all of it)

I came accross a website thawt had no info about the CAMM3 just question marks. I sent the some data and photo's of my actual machine (bottom one). Check it out here: http://www.desktopcnc.com/out_of_prod/old_roland.htm

Dan :-)

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Dan,

The one thing that most of us who have purchased these second hand, is what those swithces are for ??

Is there a page or two in the manual that explains that ?

I have only the 6mm collet and I just made an adapter for 1/8" PCB drill bits. since they are so cheap on e-bay, I figured I would need them. It works with drill bits and the PCB routing cutters (to cut out the boards) when cutting 3/16 thick aluminum the 1/16" routing cutter works out of the adapter. seems a setscrew is not as good as it could be.

I am working with a guy to make a collet adapter for holding 3/16 end mills. That would have the slits so the collet would tighten up on it, not a set-screw.

Dave

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Canalcop,

If you are still looking for software to drive the CAMM3 you might try VCarve Pro which has a Direct Driver for the Roland machines. This simply sends toolpath data directly to the machine via the USB or LPT port.

There's a Trial Version of the software that will let you run sample files on the machine.

The software can be downloaded from this link

Let me know if you have any questions.

Tony

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Driller!

Do you mean the DIL switches at the back??
    If you do they are for setting the settings for parralel and serial ports, e.g. stop bits, parity and baud rates etc.

I don't have the diagram on me at the mo, but It's at home in a paper wallet next to my machine, so when I get back around 6:00 i'll scan it in for you.

Anyone need legal software to drive any roland machine?
    CAMM1, CAMM2 and CAMM3??? All models!

Just let me know if you need it to get you started.
    The software is really easy to use and gives great results.

Driller, I made a chuck with a 6mm shank, so I could hold any tool e.g. drill bits and dremel cutters etc. Perhaps you might want to give that a go? Only for light tools, etc.??

I'm currently working to make my machine cut 2 and 4 sided objects, by using a self centering vice, which I need to make. Anyone made one before?? Anyone want me to make them one? (After mine is up and running???)

Dan :-)

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I have a bunch of software, not sure what is legal, but as I understand, it was all downloaded from the Roland site before they closed it to general downloads.

I think there are 4 bundled packages with the machine. I think MODELA is the most common, and I think those are the packages I have copies of.

I made a 3/16 to 6mm collet to hold end-mills. the end mills are much cheaper than 6mm here, and I can get a much wider variety of tooling sizes as well. I also made a mm to 1/8" sleeve with a setscrew to hold PCB tools. I can buy 50 drills for $25 on e-bay. some are really tiny, need to be careful. if they don't list the size, then the drills will probably be 0.25mm or around that size.

I have not made a drill chuck yet, but that is in the works.

As for your offer of software, If it is legal software, I would be interested in the program names. I might be very intrested in them.

I need to cut out a flat oval and I can make the drawing in CAD, but have not yet connected the computer to the machine to try to make it work under computer control.

Dave
    dave_mucha (at) yahoo (dot) com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast