Boxford 160 TCL - running as is? - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Boxford 160 TCL - running as is?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

hello,
    what to do when the machine doesn't auto home?
    problem with the z axis
    thanks

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default --

Ok, I have a few questions here about this CNC lathe.

I have one of these here that i'm trying to get working. The situation is as follows

I have no manuals, no software and cannot modify the hardware in any way as it does not belong to me.

The manual controls don't appear to be working (I'm not quite sure why, perhaps the controller board has been changed).

How exactly would I get this working? Would EMC2 or Mach3 work with it presuming that it may be stock?

Is there are any alternative to Boxford's proprietary software?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Boxford probs
    I am having a problem with a Boxford CNC.When I press the down jog key in the x axis the toolpost moves down(ok) but when I press the up jog key to go back up it continues to move down.Is this due to a problem with the stepper motor?
    Barney205

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by abc27 View Post

The manual controls don't appear to be working (I'm not quite sure why, perhaps the controller board has been changed).

Is there are any alternative to Boxford's proprietary software?
    Hi
    This thread was about converting a TCL160 to Mach or EMC utilising the existing hardware, as described in the post below.

If your manual controls do not work you could have a major problem.
    However there is a main power switch on the rear, a smaller green botton on the side which activates the contactor and powers the boards and motors and an Estop on the front which is easily knocked inwards.
    Make sure you have 1 and 2 on and 3 out before you decide it is dead ( plus checking wiring and fuses etc)

Boxford do not support these any more, they never supported individuals only educational establishments at great cost.
    That is why everyone who gets them without software converts them to Mach or EMC

regards

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by barney205 View Post
    Boxford probs
    I am having a problem with a Boxford CNC.When I press the down jog key in the x axis the toolpost moves down(ok) but when I press the up jog key to go back up it continues to move down.Is this due to a problem with the stepper motor?
    Barney205
    Hi
    Unlikely, sounds like it is not changing the DIR signal, but since you don't say which lathe, which jog control (front panel or keyboard under PC control) hard to tell
    regards

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by melee View Post
    Hi
    This thread was about converting a TCL160 to Mach or EMC utilising the existing hardware, as described in the post below.

If your manual controls do not work you could have a major problem.
    However there is a main power switch on the rear
    Yes, that's definitely switched on.

a smaller green botton on the side which activates the contactor and powers the boards and motors and an Estop on the front which is easily knocked inwards.
    The Estop is definitely disengaged but i've never seen that green button on the side however? The left simply has the hatch that you can open for extra long stock and the right doesn't appear to have anything at all. On the back however there is a black push switch of some sort underneath the mains power switch. It's unsprung and it doesn't really feel like a switch. I have no idea what it is truthfully.
    Make sure you have 1 and 2 on and 3 out before you decide it is dead ( plus checking wiring and fuses etc)
    The thing is that when I push spindle forward for example the button flashes red once and then the motor makes a low humming sound as if its trying to move. When I move the chuck by hand with the button pressed down the button flashes and makes this strange clicking sound. That'd lead me to believe that there is power going to the motors.
    Boxford do not support these any more, they never supported individuals only educational establishments at great cost.
    That is why everyone who gets them without software converts them to Mach or EMC

regards
    The thing is that we are a school. It's just that these machines were purchased way back in 2000 and have never ever been used since. I tried Mach3 today. Absolutely nothing.

I also tried Boxford V6 which I downloaded from their site but it refuses to run because it's 16 bit and the computer in question has issues running old DOS software...

But, in a strange turn of events in another workshop in our school there is a computer hooked up to a different CNC lathe (Emco Turn 55)... But for some strange reason it has the Boxford V10 software as well. So tomorrow I may try and transfer that on to the other computer and i'll give it a shot.

Thanks for the help so far.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Boxford 160 TCL - running as is?

Does anyone have a licence.dat file for Ver5 or versions 6 of Boxford TCL160 lathe

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Converting 160TCL

Hi Melee, you did a great job here,
    Couple of questions for you if I may.
    Can you please let me have the settings for MACH3 that you used.
    The links to DIY CNC for the 2 boards you used are broken, can you please remake the links.
    Do you have a wiring diagram for the total change you made.
    Would you care to share the information to me by email.
    I would be very grateful.
    Many thanks
    George

Georgie

I now have my TCL160, Working with original software 4.3.1 on an XP.
    I have one issue, that is when I go into 'Feedback' from manual mode none of the on screen DRO's are not working there is no update to x & y Dro's when the left/right up/down buttons are pressed and there is no spindle speed update. Looks like I may have a PCB fault and could sure use some help.
    This is clearly having an impact on my ability to input tool offsets as no matter the tool the offset is always Zero.
    Anyone got an original PCB gathering dust for one of these machine 1995 era(ish)

Many thanks

George

Last edited by Georgie; 03-17-2015 at 04:29 AM.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Where can I get the original Sw for a Boxford Machine. I have bought a 165HMC just 2 weeks ago.
    All of the drives and functions are working, but because I don't have the SW for it, it must change
    the BOB or whatever you call the big 8*12" big board inside.
    From the board I have a 25pin D-Sub connector outside the housing.
    I think, if I can transfer a program to the machine, it would run perfect.
    But for setting the datum points enter Values and so on, I will need the original program,
    like if I want to program a PLC.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Georgie
    I wonder if you can help me and community by shearing old manual .pfd files comes with old software. I also have old 160 with have DC spindle motor but have trouble to see what is this motor need to spin properly as label on it disintegrated from time :-)
    Also want to resurrect front control panel but lack of schematics make it v difficult . Unfortunately I don't have main or stepper drives board all been converted by previous owner.
    Thanks in advance
    Quote Originally Posted by Georgie View Post
    I now have my TCL160, Working with original software 4.3.1 on an XP.
    I have one issue, that is when I go into 'Feedback' from manual mode none of the on screen DRO's are not working there is no update to x & y Dro's when the left/right up/down buttons are pressed and there is no spindle speed update. Looks like I may have a PCB fault and could sure use some help.
    This is clearly having an impact on my ability to input tool offsets as no matter the tool the offset is always Zero.
    Anyone got an original PCB gathering dust for one of these machine 1995 era(ish)

Many thanks

George

Georgie

Quote Originally Posted by coolfox View Post
    Hi Georgie
    I wonder if you can help me and community by shearing old manual .pfd files comes with old software. I also have old 160 with have DC spindle motor but have trouble to see what is this motor need to spin properly as label on it disintegrated from time :-)
    Also want to resurrect front control panel but lack of schematics make it v difficult . Unfortunately I don't have main or stepper drives board all been converted by previous owner.
    Thanks in advance
    Hi Coolfix,

I'm really sorry but I gave the original manuals away a couple of years ago. I scrapped by front panel because I converted my machine to Mach3.
    I'm still working on the project and have problems with the tool turret.
    Maybe you could upload a couple of pictures so I could see exactly what it is you have.
    Take a picture of all your electronics.
    If I can help you then I will.

George

Downloads
    Uploads

Hello everyone. Sorry for bringing up a old topic. But I have recently picked up one of these boxford 160. I have the original desktop. But I have no means to access it. It’s missing the keyboard. I’m wondering if I open it and takeout the hard drive. Will I be able to access the software through a hdd reader. Or would it be easier to covert the machine to run on Mach 3(which I will have to learn to use). I have tried to buy the breakout board and opto reader from the company mentioned a on the first page. But I’m not sure if it is the same company. Has anyone any recommendations on where best to buy a breakout board to use ?
    Many thanks

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Mrwayne1 View Post
    Hello everyone. Sorry for bringing up a old topic. But I have recently picked up one of these boxford 160. I have the original desktop. But I have no means to access it. It’s missing the keyboard. I’m wondering if I open it and takeout the hard drive. Will I be able to access the software through a hdd reader. Or would it be easier to covert the machine to run on Mach 3(which I will have to learn to use). I have tried to buy the breakout board and opto reader from the company mentioned a on the first page. But I’m not sure if it is the same company. Has anyone any recommendations on where best to buy a breakout board to use ?
    Many thanks
    Also my machine is the non turret version. Thanks

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12