Calibrating x, y, and z points for a matrix of points across the whole table seems natural to me, since it at least partially remedies many potential sources of inaccuracy, such as a slight sag in long rails, rails that aren't parallel enough, as well as unevenness in the table surface. For example, for calibrating a 8' (x) by 4' (y) table every 6", there would be 17 x-positions and 9 y-positions to be calibrated, for a total of 153 locations to be calibrated. (The actual z values would be done at each of these points, too.) If one is routing something like wood and shallow cuts are desired, it seems that the CNC would need to be calibrated for the actual z values at a matrix of x-y locations.

In my (small amount of) research it has appeared to me that what the calibration features are of a particular piece of CNC control software are not obvious—that is, not glorified in their marketing (nor in the example of calibrating Mach3 that I watched). Is this because it is so obvious that all such software does this? If not, can anyone point out any low-cost software that does this. I am considering what my needs will be for a build-your-own CNC router table for wood etching (and cutting).