Totally Confused on what the Control Concepts are to make this work - Tooli

Thread: Totally Confused on what the Control Concepts are to make this work - Tooli

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Totally Confused on what the Control Concepts are to make this work - Tooli

There is a small machine out there that uses belt drive called Tooli. Maybe this has been discussed before in belt drive discussions, but I'm not able to find such by searching. This tool uses two motors for X and Y motion, but the belts from both motors only attach each end to the very same location, that being the moving tool mount on one axis... Lets call it the Y axis.

Now, I understand that it is the way that the belt is configured that allows this technique to move more than just the tool mount on the Y axis and will essentially pull the X axis as well, but DANG if I can not understand how they actually control it. I'd guess that the typical off the shelf CNC control is not capable of running this design. It would have to be something capable for robotic mechanisms and with that, I'd be lost in attempting to set up any control for it.

For me, the mechanics are clear, but If anyone can explain this from a control issue in simple terms, I sure would appreciate it ! Seems like either motor must be moving at all times in order to get where it needs to go.

Here is a video of the company showing you how the belts are installed: