Newbie Affordable CAM software for hobbyist?

Thread: Affordable CAM software for hobbyist?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Affordable CAM software for hobbyist?

Hi,

After purchasing a Sherline mill and lathe last year, I bought licenses for both Alibre (CAD) and Mach3 (nc). I thought I could use an inexpensive CAM solution like MeshCAM, but have realized that it is very limited.

I've tried writing my own g-code, but for anything non-trivial, it becomes too labor intensive and error prone.

I've searched for affordable (hobby level) CAM solutions online, but can't seem to find any that aren't severely limited... and yet there seem to be an awful lot of people out there with home CNC systems. Many of these people seem to be doing fairly complex things with their machines -- which makes me wonder; how are they generating their g-code?

I have a 4-axis setup on my mill, and I'd like to be able to do continuous 4-axis milling, but honestly, I'd be satisfied with 3-axis.

Can you folks out there tell me what you're using?

Thanks.

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

what kind futures are you looking for in the CAM? How much are willing to spend? Hobby CAM design intend to keep the price low ...... average person can afford, so it's will have limited. I found BodCAD, MecSoft, Polphin Partmaster very good for hobby, more than enough for basement project.

The best way to learn is trial error.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default You asked this at the right time!

DeskProto is currently having a special sale on their flagship product, DeskProto 5.0, which I normally sell for $1300. Through September 2010, this is on sale to hobbyists (not commercial machine shops) at $1000 off. It's very powerful and able to handle complex geometry and large files, but simple to use with a wide range of machining strategies (including continuous 4th-axis milling) and a wide range of features normally found in much more expensive software. It's not up on my site yet as a "click to buy" item, but I do have some inventory in stock here in the USA.

Andrew Werby
    www.computersculpture.com

Quote Originally Posted by INTJ View Post
    Hi,

After purchasing a Sherline mill and lathe last year, I bought licenses for both Alibre (CAD) and Mach3 (nc). I thought I could use an inexpensive CAM solution like MeshCAM, but have realized that it is very limited.

I've tried writing my own g-code, but for anything non-trivial, it becomes too labor intensive and error prone.

I've searched for affordable (hobby level) CAM solutions online, but can't seem to find any that aren't severely limited... and yet there seem to be an awful lot of people out there with home CNC systems. Many of these people seem to be doing fairly complex things with their machines -- which makes me wonder; how are they generating their g-code?

I have a 4-axis setup on my mill, and I'd like to be able to do continuous 4-axis milling, but honestly, I'd be satisfied with 3-axis.

Thanks.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for the reply;

It's hard for me to say, since I haven't used real CAM software before. I'd like support for continuous 4-axis milling. Obviously, I'd like some knowledge of machining to be built in so that I don't have to tell it about roughing and finishing passes, whether to use conventional or climb milling, etc. Some help with setting feed rates and cut depth based upon tool chip load would be nice too. On my last project, I spent a week hand-writing g-code, and despite calculating feed rates and being conservative, I broke four end mills. I assume that these are all things that good CAM software can help me with.

As far as price is concerned, I'd like to keep it under $500 or so.

When I last looked into BobCAD, I kind of remember lots of people saying bad things about it - can't remember for sure whether it was because of their support, or the software quality, or... ?

I don't remember looking into Dolphin Partmaster - I didn't spend time looking at 2D and 2.5D CAM packages. They're useful, but I don't have a budget for multiple packages, and I want support for three-axis at least, if not continuous four-axis.

MecSoft's Visual Mill is resold by Alibre, makers of my CAD solution. I assume that fact might make it a good choice for me. When I last priced a license for a version that did everything I wanted, it was over my budget by a factor of something like 5X.

I wish more of these companies would offer inexpensive non-commercial licenses for hobbyists like us. Seems like the smart software companies do that, knowing that they're building a user base that eventually morphs into purchasing-decision-makers in the workplace.

Quote Originally Posted by CNCRim View Post
    what kind futures are you looking for in the CAM? How much are willing to spend? Hobby CAM design intend to keep the price low ...... average person can afford, so it's will have limited. I found BodCAD, MecSoft, Polphin Partmaster very good for hobby, more than enough for basement project.

Last edited by INTJ; 07-20-2010 at 04:34 PM.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Give Dolphin Partmaster a go. I've been using it for about 3 years and it has done a heck of a job for me. Support has been 2nd to none as well.

Downloads
    Uploads

Did you consider CamBam? I my opinion the best bang for the buck going...

I'm not a salesman, just a very happy user.

My 2¢

Downloads
    Uploads

You can get BobCAD v23 for under $700. Great functionality - more than enough for any hobbyist.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Smile Denford "D Quickcam and e-NC Easymill

Hi,

I have a Denford TRIAC PC milling machine - At first I bought the Denford software, Quickcam 2D - which was excellent to get me going but I soon outgrew it and went for Easymill from a French company called e-NC. www.easymill.co.uk. This one will see me through as once I got used to it, it was very easy to correct my many mistakes, change tools etc... Both these packages are 'affordable' not free or cheap - but they do work well.
    I quickly learned that you get what you pay for!!!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I use Dolphin PartMaster Pro. Write or call them They have great Hobby prices and EXCELLENT support even when you buy at the Hobby price. I've made motorcycle parts with a SuperMax mill that has a Anilam Crusader M control, wood widgets with a JGRO using EMC2 as the control, and it output Gcode both controls hd no problem with using. They even have two different Mach post processors for Mach users. A poster named IMANCARROT uses Dolphin CAM to machine high end optics on a high end air bearinged lathem and he loves it. From low end JGROs to high end super precision machines, Dolphin CAM can do it.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I've been using the free beta version of CamBam and so far it is working for my needs.

Downloads
    Uploads

have you tried g-zero by rapid output It has it limitations but if you know anything about machining you can get around them. I prefer mastercam myself but it is way out on the price end. I know some guys that use bobcad and like it. What I have found is if you want a good cad system especially if your looking for multi axis machining your going to get what you pay for.

BE NICE TO THE NERDS IN SCHOOL. THEY ONE DAY MAY BE YOUR BOSS

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Camsoft has an Ebay page that the sale their CAD/CAM software on. I have seen their 3D CAD/CAM software for as low as $199. For some reason the EBay page is there but there are no products on it today, you might have to call and ask what's up. You can get to the page through their web-site at www.cnccontrols.com . Camsoft is known more for their CNC Controllers so look through the menus at the home page for the CAD/CAM software page and E-bay store link. They have web-site for the CAD/CAM software but I just can't remember it right.

John

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by INTJ View Post
    Hi,

Thanks.
    Hello INTJ,

Not sure if you have stumbled across our software in your search - Vectric has a range of software products that might be of interest, with Trial versions that you can download from the web site.

Cut2D is for machining designs that have been drawn / created in another CAD package and includes toolpath options for 2D profile, pocketing and drilling.

Cut3D is for 3 axis 3D model machining with options for single, double and 4 sided machining. This software is designed for machining 3D models that have been created in software such as AutoCAD, Rhino, SolidWorks etc.

VCarve Pro offers more advanced drawing, design with 2 / 2.5D machining + engraving and also includes wrapped rotary axis machining.

Aspire adds 3D modelling and machining and is used by many professional sign makers and wood carvers + hobby users.

PhotoVCarve is not a conventional CNC software product. This software allows photographs / images to be cnc machined to create engraved photo's and 3D lithophanes.

The Trial versions of all the software include sample files that you can run on your own CNC machine.

See > http://www.vectric.com/WebSite/Vectr...d_products.htm

If you have any questions please let me know.

Tony

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default UPDATE - what I found ... what I decided

I finally got around to this - here are the details:

I have an Alibre Design Standard license already, but adding Alibre CAM (re-branded version of MecSoft's Visual Mill) would be at least another $1600, and they don't have a turning solution available (yet).

Buying Visual Mill Std and Visual Turn from MecSoft would have run around $2250.

The Dolphin Partmaster folks were very nice, and offered me a good deal. I probably would have gone for it had the BobCAD deal not seemed so enticing. Again, we'll see if I made a mistake there...

I looked into a few others, but they either didn't have non-commercial/hobbyist licenses, or they just couldn't be flexible enough on price to accommodate me.

The BobCAD salesperson was very persistent, and eventually offered what seems like a crazy-good deal. BobCAD v24, plus add-ons for the lathe and vector art; final price $897.

I had to make a decision in a hurry (something I've generally learned NOT to do over the years), but the deal seemed THAT good. We'll see whether I end up regretting it or not.

Downloads
    Uploads

You should not have hurried but let them know you are still looking at options.
    They would have called you back.

IMO

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Pity is, there are other competent CAM packages that will import from Alibre.

CAMBAM (CamBam CNC Software) is an example. I propelled a "junk" R2E4 from ground-up to fully-functional with a lot of help from here and from the author of CAMBAM. And that was with the 40-use free trial version.

LLoyd