New MHP mill project - Page 2

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New MHP mill project

Downloads
    Uploads

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you, but it looks like you have been getting good electrical help, which is not my thing, in the meantime.

First the other source I used for MHP parts and information was AMT Machines in Elma NY on 6535 Seneca St tele-716-655-2742.

Second, rr167 is right - the set a zero point for a program to start from, jog the machine to that point, write down the reading for X, Y and Z, enter those values into the offset page next the the E1 designation. Then when you run your program, before any motion, place E1 on a line by itself in the program -- magically, the rest of the coordinates in the program will be taken from the spot designated by the E1 values.

You can use the E2, E3 etcetera when you have two vices on the table OR, if you have a touchy tool or flexing part, you can put that tool or operation on its own offset that is just a few thousandths different than the E1 and fully control that operation independently of the rest.

Third, XD is distance to go. As your tool approaches the work in rapid, you can halt the motion and the XD value will tell you how much is left in that program move, to go before that program move is over. VERY useful for proving out programs.

I found a written touch-off procedure I wrote for the 83-3000 which I can send and although I'll be away this weekend I'll look and see if there are some programs still here for the Moog.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default MHP

Scrambled,

I am still looking for programming manual. If you need a copy I should be able to run copies and mail it to you.

underdog ,

I believe AMT is out of business. Visimetrics may have copies of manuals available.

RR167

Downloads
    Uploads

rr167-

I have been trying to talk to someone at Visametrics, but i am not having any luck. They act like they have an answering service answering the phone. It does not matter what time I call, ##### is out to lunch.

Does anyone know how big or small a company Visametrics is?

I will be playing with the mill this weekend, so I will get to try the offset programs.

Steve

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Visimetrics

Visimetrics is a small company. It was started by a few engineers from MHP when they went out of business in the early 90's. I will try to contact them and forward your info.
    Is your machine running OK? I haven't had a chance to look for the manual. I will look this week.

Downloads
    Uploads

rr167-

It kinda works. I can do everthing in single block, and the auto works only about 1/5 of the time.

There are several other buttons on the front control panel that don't work also. Spindle start, MDI are two that I can remember. When I goto the diag. page when I press the buttons I do not see the bit getting changed either. So I am not sure if the problem is a loose connection someplace or a bad board.

I would like to get these electronics running enough to finish some projects, then this winter redo everything.

Thanks again for the help

Steve

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Manual

Scrambled,

Have you found a manual yet?

Downloads
    Uploads

RR167-

So far I have found a operations manual, tool probe manual, and a maintenance manual. I am still looking for a manual on how to program it.

I am trying to figure out a bigger problem. For some reason I keep getting a fault while the mill is running. When this happens, then the mill has to be re homed and I have to start over.

I am going through the maintance manual trying to figure out what is going on. I am going to start disabling everything is the "machine Start" circuit 1 by 1 until the error stops.

I have found a complete mill from a MHP 30 that is being scrapped. I have a chance to buy the electronics for 250.00

or

I am going to gut everything and start over.

any suggestions?????

Steve

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Manual

I found my manual.
    I can make a copy and mail it to you.
    It will take a couple of days though.

Downloads
    Uploads

rr167--

Did you get the P.M. I sent to you several days ago?

I am trying to get the Mill to communicate with a pc using the Predator drip feed program, and I am not having any luck!!

According to the person I bought the mill from, I have everything set up correctly.
    He had some screen shots of the settings for the mill that he sent me.

When I try to use the predator program, it appears that the program is always waiting for the mill to start the communications.

The computer always has the message--waiting on flow control.

Any Ideas?

Steve

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I got your message. I responded but I'm not sure it went thru.
    Just pm me your address and I will mail you a copy of the manual.
    Where are you located?
    It has been so long since I tried drip feeding on the MHP.
    I called Visimetrics and got a message so they are still in business.
    Those guys designed and built the control so they would have the answers for you.
    I have another connection to MHP that I will try.

Ron

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default You mean there are other MHP users out there?

Visimetrics is still in bussiness. I talked to Frank today. I have a couple of b-22's a couple of b-18's and a couple of s3000's. Only one b-22 is hooked up and it is having problems. One b-18 is good for parts only. Mine wants to take off in all directions when I hit the machine start button. When a button on the control panel quits working, I have to take out the circuit board and remove the reed switch (de-solder) and install one from an old board. Visimetrics can fix drive board problems (not cheap), but they can do it. Remember to erase work offsets before putting in new ones or it will add or subtract the old one to the new one. Been a while since I ran one , but I ran all these machines at Boeing for many years. also been a while since I visited cnczone. I have a new intrest with a Z-corp 3D printer. Need any prototype parts? Full color too. If there is any questions I can help you with, I will try to answer them.

Downloads
    Uploads

Moog B-22

I think I am just up I 75 from you. I am near Lexington, ky

I am going to try the drip feed again, and see if I have any luck. I will let everyone know how it turns out

Steve

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hey Scrambled. I'm in the Oak Ridge, Tn area. Have you tried using Hyperterminal to drip feed? We use it to run a Mazak at work. Never tried it on a MHP.

Downloads
    Uploads

Moog b22-

When I purchased the mill, it was drip feeding at 9600 kbps. So far I have not been able to get it to work. To be honest, i have not really tried that hard. I have a serious air leak in the solenoid valves, and my air compressor can not keep up for long periods of time.

I have orderd a new valve bank, and I am in the process of installing it.

Do you have a source for any spair parts?

Oak Ridge is 3 hrs away. Not too bad

Steve

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I have a few spare parts for the s3000. Like I said, it is run off of hydrolics. I don't know if anything will fit the s24. If you send me a part number and description of the part I will look. Where did you order this part from? Have you made contact with Visimetrics yet?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hey Scrambled, Forget my last post. I thought you had a s24. I just went back and looked at your pics on the first thread. You have a B-22. These are great machines. Only problem is they are getting old. I have some parts for the B-18, B-22 machines. 18s and 22 are the same except for the amount of tools it will hold. Mine have all been fitted with glass scales on the X and Y axis. Heidenhein. Did you ever find a programming manual?

Downloads
    Uploads

hi all-

I was finally able to get a complete Hydrapath controller to use as spare parts. The Fedex guy delivered it on Dec. 26. Yea!!!

Now the bad part. My mill has been idle for a month or so, I have mounted new solenoid valves and was about to run the physical conection to the relays a day or so ago. I decide that I should power the mill up to make sure every thing was working, that way if I moved some wires i would know where to start looking for the problem.

As soon as I powered the mill up, I get a "System SRVPGM ERROR 9C0D 0407" error

Any ideas? The servo drives are not getting any power, and the contactor is not pulling in. I have checked all the fuses, and voltages and it appears to be correct.

I can manually push the contactor in, and the drives will power up, but the error is still on the screen.

Any ideas?

Steve

Downloads
    Uploads

Scrambled, for me to be of help they have to run, since my electronics ability is very limited, but I loved my MHP 83-3000 when I had it and the fellows at AMT Machines 716-655-2742 and Visimetrics 716-871-7070 were always very knowledgable. (These are old numbers-let me know if they are still good.)

A thought; where did you get your new controller and was it a complete controller? Maybe mixing boards from two from different software/firmware generations is causing your error.

Downloads
    Uploads

Scrambled,

Here is some sample code for the 83-3000. It drills four holes then mills the outside of a block with corner-rounding on. This gives you a sample of drilling, milling and contouring (curves). I seem to remember that the G2 or G3 had to be repeated on each and every contour line. The I's and J's are the center of the swung arc. G2 and G3 have to be repeated since they are not remembered (modal) from line to line. You can see where E1 is used so all subsequent coordinates are taken from the E1 values entered into the controller. Also, when I was having valve trouble for a time, I made all my feedrate moves as "G1 F200" instead of G0. I found the highest feedrate that the machine would go without faulting, in this case F200, and used that command instead of G0.

;MOOG2.PST
    ;PR- MHP-BACKUP BLOCK
    ;DATE=D-M-Y- 31-12-10 TIME- 08:07
    G70
    G17
    E0
    G90
    G0
    G90
    ; 1/2 DRILL
    ; TOOL - 1 DIA. - .5
    ; DRILL FOUR HOLES
    N100 T1 M6
    E1
    S534 M3
    G0 X.5 Y-.5
    Z4. M8
    N102 G81 Z-.6 R2. F4.3
    N104 X2.5
    N106 X.5 Y-1.219
    N108 X2.5
    N110 G80
    N112 M01
    ; 1/2 FLAT ENDMILL
    ; TOOL - 2 DIA. - .5
    ; MILL OUTSIDE WITH .500 EM
    N114 T2 M6
    E1
    S1069 M3
    G0 X-.25 Y-3.5
    Z4.
    Z.1
    Z-.5 F6.4
    G1 Y-3. F6.4
    G1 Y0. F6.4
    G2 X0. Y.25 I0. J0. F6.4
    G1 X3. F6.4
    G2 X3.25 Y0. I3. J0. F6.4
    G1 Y-3. F6.4
    G2 X3. Y-3.25 I3. J-3. F6.4
    G1 X0. F6.4
    G2 X-.25 Y-3. I0. J-3. F6.4
    G0 Z4.
    N116 M5
    N118 T1 M6
    M30
    %

Downloads
    Uploads

Also if you use the G1 F200 trick on drilling you have to make all the drill moves linear. THerefore instead of ;

G81 X1.0 Y1.0 Z-0.5

You need to drive it up and down and around one move at a time. Like ;

G01 X1.0 Y1.0 F200 ; OVER
    G01 F0.1 ; RAPID DOWN
    G01 Z-0.5 F 6.3 ;DRILL
    G01 Z4.0 F200 : RAP OUT OF HOLE
    G01 (Next hole's X and Y) F200 ; OVER

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast