New MHP mill project - Page 3

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: New MHP mill project

Downloads
    Uploads

Underdog-

I have not changed any boards or amps. I bought the second set just for cheap insurance.

When the mill was running, the leaking solonoids were killing my compressor, that is why I decided to install new ones. But while I was playing with the mill, I apeared easy to program. I was able to do hole patterns and slots.

My big problem is the lack of time for troubleshooting. I usually have about 2 hours at midnight as free time, because of this, I am thinking about scrapping the entire electronics, servos, and drives. It might cost me an arm and a leg, but the mill would be running making me the parts that I need.

Just a thought though.

Steve

Downloads
    Uploads

It is alive!!

I called Visimetrics and Frank was really helpful. He suggested to press the e-stop in and power it back up. The battery had died and all the configurations were lost.

redid the config page, and back up and running.

Last edited by scrambled; 01-04-2011 at 12:25 PM. Reason: oops wrong name. Frank is correct

Downloads
    Uploads

Bad news-

After posting about having the MHP up and running, my luck has changed for the worse.

I went to the shop the next day and powered up the mill, and the fault is back. I have tried everything I can think of and nothing.

I am going to start changing boards that visimetric's suggested. I am worked about firmware errors and general incompatibility with the board swaps.

I am going to swap the c3,s1,s3 and s5 boards

If this fails, I am going to try to sell the drives and install either a Galil dcm 4060 or the Dspmc.

Any other suggestions before I do major surgery?

Steve

Downloads
    Uploads

If any of you need financing for new purchases visit BVC | Financial | California, we'll create a customized lease structure that will enable you to increase cash flow while increasing your level of effectiveness through the full use of the machines. We can also be contacted through info@bvcfinancial.com. Our comfort zone is machines between $10,000 and $150,000.

Downloads
    Uploads

Steve,

Hey even if you have to do major surgery, at least you have a mill that has a tool changer! To me, having to stand there to change tools, like some of the CNC bridgeports without changers make you do, is near insanity.

You said "to get me the parts I need." I'm curious; what is your project/product/business idea? If you need something soon maybe I can help out with my 40X20 Hurco CNC VMC. Send me a PM if I can help. Maybe selling one of your gizmos can get you the money you need to fix the mill.

Downloads
    Uploads

Time for an update-

The mill has been sitting or should I say neglected for the past several months. Every time I start to work on it, something else happens, or it throws a new error.

I have decided to redo the electronics. Now to decide on what to go with.

I have been told by several people to go with the Galil. This would be the 6 axis version (xyza-spindle and tool changer). It has 16 inputs and 16 outputs. What do you think. Yes or no?

Should I try to reuse the servo motors and drives. These are kollmorgan inland servo drives. One axis has a brake on it if that matters. These are also the bsd2-16 model numbers and I am having problems finding a wiring diagram.

Thanks for the advice!

Steve

Downloads
    Uploads

Time for an update-

I decided to change out all the electronics, but for some unknown reason, I decided to try one last time.

I removed all the boards,and then re seated all the boards. I also changed the board with the onboard battery.

Powered the mill up, re entered the setting configuration information, then presto chango

it works!!!

So I thought I would press my luck. Connected the predator DNC cable. Played with a few settings in both predator and the Hydrapath. Presto Chango-- it transfered a program!!!!

So with that, I am sure when I work with the mill something else will go wrong!!!

I will keep everyone posted.

Steve

Downloads
    Uploads

I just noticed with this new thread that a month ago you said IN PASSING you have no info on the Kollmorgen SBD2-16 drives..... Sorry I missed that passing comment - I CAN HELP YOU!! I have been Kollmorgen rep/distributor since the beginning of time and have all that info. I would be tickled pink sharing it with you!

Just tell me the whole part nos and an email address and I will email you pdfs manuals and full info and wiring for same and the motors too if you send me the part nos (typically TT-4206B... or TTR5301-a-137...).

Downloads
    Uploads

BTW, FWIW, if 'reseating' some pcb thing seems to have helped, keep in mind you can go 1 better if you ever have this issue again, don't just 'reseat,' but gently clean both sides of the connector with a pencil erase before putting back in! (if eraser gets dirty, just rub it on your pants to clean it and then do it again).

You can clean DC motor comms with light crap that way too

Downloads
    Uploads

Mike-

thanks for the help. I am certain that the electronics on this mill are not going to last. If I can get a few projects made, then I can start swaping everything out.

Do you think the Kollmorgen drives and motors are worth keeping?

I will get the exact model numbers tomorrow.

Thanks

Steve

Downloads
    Uploads

Good question: Are old Dc servos that are obsolete worth keeping?

Depends on a lot of things of course (and my guesses at answers):

- how much will it cost you per day/hour to be down? ($ 50/day? $ 500/day?)
    - Correlary: how long will a repair take? (prob 2 weeks)
    - how long with paying for new take (ROI)? ($ 1500/axis?)
    - how much is a repair on 1 thing? ($ 2000?)

There were probably 5,000 SBD2 drives made, 15,000 of that series motors. Far out guess: there are 20pc repaired SBD2 available still (we have about 5) and they are not fairly readily repairable - some unique parts are no longer available, there are probably 5,000 of those motors available and they are fairly readily repairable.

That is just my outlook on it. So if you can afford some downtime, my opinion is keep it going until they break but do the research now at your leisure so you have a backup plan (Gecko, AMC, etc) replacemend DRIVE models already picked out and maybe even wiring change over diagrams made and in a folder for when the time comes.

Hope it helps you decide what to do.

Downloads
    Uploads

Dang. I just spent 10 minutes replying to this and then hit close browser by mistake. So much for doing 3 things at once..... let me try again- should only take 5 minutes this time...

You are pondering "are the Kollmorgen motors and drives worth keeping?" Hard question depending on lots of things like (with my guesses at answers):

- When they break, how much will it cost you per day/hr? ($ 50/day $ 500/day?)
    - how long with the repair take? (2 weeks)
    - how much will the repair cost? ($ 2000)
    - how much would a replacement be? ($ 500/axis low cost DC drive only, $2000/axis new AC servos)
    - etc?

There were probably 5,000 of the SBD2's made, 15,000 of those type Dc servo motors. There is probably 100 total spare SBD2 drives in existence today (we have about 10), probably 5,000 of these motors. The drives have a few unique custom parts on them that are no longer available, the motors are usually readily repairable.

So.... you asked my opinion.... If I have a machine shop and could afford a couple weeks down time on this machine, I would begin right now in my leisure time picking out model numbers of the replacement DRIVES (Gecko, AMC, etc) for that inevitable day. I would mark up my electrical prints right now in my leisure time to show how to change to the new model and have this in a manila folder in my file cabinet. I would plan to keep the motors and just replace the electronics like this or preplan for full motor/drive replacement to new (Kollmorgen ) AC servo motors and drives.

Of course this is just my opinion.

Downloads
    Uploads

Mike-

I was finally able to get to the shop.

Everything is still working! So I am going to swap out the solenoid valves since they are leaking.

Here are the specs on the servo drives

SBD2-16-1102-29360BA29/160-16 this is the x and y
    SBD2-16-1102-2936BA29/160-16 this is the Z axis

I think that the reason for the different number for the z is becasue it has a brake, is that correct?

Thanks for any additional information you have on the servo drives.

Steve

Downloads
    Uploads

no; part no difference (the extra 0) is simply someone at the factory updated the part no to reflect a slight change in the motor part no from TT2936-BA to TT29360-BA. same motor, same specs.... we made some minor internal change to the motor that did not effect size or performance as best I can recall.

brake is identified by TTB-29.... or TTB3-29 etc.... you really should jot down all the motor part nos along with serial nos (of drives too) and keep them all in a folder for the day when you need an upgrade.... by then you may not be able to read the nametags or something... send me an email and I will email you pdf manuals and spec sheets on the motors and drives for your future reference. my email address is under my info if you go to my name above.

Downloads
    Uploads

Mike-

I sent you a private message

Steve

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123