How to use a DB25 serial breakout box

Thread: How to use a DB25 serial breakout box

Downloads
    Uploads

Default How to use a DB25 serial breakout box

So I'm having some troubles getting an RS232 connection going between my Haas cnc and my PC.

I have successful communications going on with other equipment, so I trust the PC end of things is correct.

So it was suggested that I use a breakout box on the serial port to determine if the datalines and such, were working on the Haas.

Conveniently for me, I found a 25 pin serial breakout box by Global Computer Supplies, on Ebay, cheap. The unit is described as DT-4. I installed a new 9V battery in it and plugged it in. The LED's seem to light up and everything, but other than that, I don't really know what I'm looking for.

Does anyone have some kind of reference material on the usage of such devices?

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How to use a DB25 serial breakout box-breakoutbox-jpg  
    First you get good, then you get fast. Then grouchiness sets in.

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

This makes me think of a question.... how do you use programs that suport serial port output (com1 or 2) and your controller board is setup for parallel port?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I was looking for such a device last week!

When the signals are flying through that box, the coresponding leds should light up telling you what signal is on which pin #.
    You can then ensure your cable pin out matches. I have found it is usually the RXD and TXD that are reversed (null modem cables)
    Communicating with devices without a manual is such a pain in the arse! I spent 3 weeks trying to talk to a 1980's robot before process of elimination won out.

Industrial automation ????
    www.challengermechtech.ca

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Another thought, Does the haas have to be put into a comm mode first? My robots had to be in "teach" mode before rs232 would work. There may also be jumpers or DIP's that need moving on the Hass?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Joe you can get 25pin to 9 pin adapters, or you can build your own cable if you know the pin out.

Google 25pin to 9 pin and you will get many sights with diagrams showing the various methods.

Downloads
    Uploads

I do not think it is that simple just to use an adapter, i'm talking about the signal outputs to the pin numbers each program has, most on parallel port are same like #2 step #3 dir. and so on, but some programs i have seen has it you just select what com port you use., do they also have a pin configuration?

Banned
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hu. . .

Try this page on the Haas Website - it has a couple of links that talk about RS-232 communication:

http://www.haascnc.com/search.asp?Ac...&Search=Search

Also, I just posted a response trying to help another guy having troubles hooking up an RS-232 plotter - there might be something in there to help you. Here's the link to that thread:

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9392

Not sure about the breakout box - now that I think about it, after 30 years in electronics never had a cause to use one. But I suspect, it should show you which pins on each side of the cable are connected to each other by way of the LED's. When static the LED's are probably solid in one color or another depending on if the connection through the cables are good or broken. When activity is present (TX'ng/RX'ng) they might flutter. I am just guessing. Anyway, what was the brand, GlobalSpec? Try their website and see if they have a .pdf for the instructions on your box.

If you are sure about the computer side then it's probably something in the cable end to the Hass, RS-232 config on the Haas or, as someone has mentioned, an additional setting in the Hass to set for enabling the serial port.

I have a Haas but don't use the RS-232, if I get a chance I will look through my manual and see if I see anything. Also, have never had to call Haas directly but, I hear they are very good (and willing) at helping with these type of problems over the phone.

Another thing to try, is the Hass can also send info over the RS-232. Instead of setting it up to receive, have it send something and look for activity on you breakout box - just a thought, might tell you if the port is at least activated on the Haas side.

Hope this helps,

plm

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Joe this is what I was thinking of...
    I suppose you may need software to use with it also?

http://www.sc-systems.com/products/a...l_parallel.htm

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

http://www.cncmagazine.com/Answers/Communicate.htm

Hu I came accross this sight, Seems many others have asked this question to Haas.
    Apparently pins 11,12,13,14,37 in the Haas have to be set to match your laptop software.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hu, To begin with it depends on wether you have the three wire configuration (handshake jumpered) or the full handshake (null modem) cable. e.g. http://www.cadem.com/ncnet/dnc-detai.../haas-mill.pdf
    Most serial breakout boxes indicate a low with a red led and high with green, green is usually enabled or ready for that line.
    With the TX data & RX data toggling when sending or recieving.
    Some PC's do not set the Handshake pins ready until you first send data out the port.
    Al

CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for the replies, guys, I'll check through this info and report back.

One thing I never mentioned, is the machine is not new, but used, and I have no way of knowing if the previous owner ever used the RS232 or not. Thus far, I've been forced to use the floppy exclusively.

I've heard that if you plug a serial cable between the printer port on the PC and the DB25 on the machine, that you can do some damage. Not that I would , but someone could have at some point. Could this have "blown up" the RS232 port on the machine? There are still some "LED's working" on the breakout box, when I attempt to send or receive, so its not stone dead, but I haven't interpreted what is going on yet.

I'm certain I've got the correct null modem DB9 to DB25 connector cable.

First you get good, then you get fast. Then grouchiness sets in.

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Banned
    Downloads
    Uploads

The switches on the box is used to break the connections. First break all connections. Connect both machines. If the LED's left/right both light up when both machines connected and powered up, they indicate this line is output on both machines, do not connect them or damage can result (theoretically, in practice they usually survive).

If TXd and RXd (Pin 2, 3) show such a contention, you need a crossover cable. You can figure out the right connection by using the jumper cables that came with the box. If no crossing needed, just close that switch. If it is needed, use the cables to make it, and test. Sometimes you need pin6 to pin8 and pin20, then use one of the cables with 3 ends. In most cases just the data lines (Pin2 & Pin3) will flicker. The handshake may change state in a slower and seemingly random pattern, just at the beginning/end of transfer, or as the machine is powered up.