Toroidal transformer build

Thread: Toroidal transformer build

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Toroidal transformer build

I built a PSU with a toroidal transformer, dual input 115v, dual output 50v, wired in series on the input and parallel on the ouput.

See attachments for what I did, I have an usually high input voltage from the grid it fluctuates but today I was getting 250v in which gave me 78.2v out on my toroidal transformer build.

I have AM882's and I think I may have already blown one up (At least it doesn't work and I've bought a new one) so do not want to damage them.

Will I be ok with this voltage, I am in the UK so should be getting ~240v.

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Toroidal transformer build-psu-jpg   Toroidal transformer build-voltage-jpg   Toroidal transformer build-toroidal-transformer-wiring-1kva-jpg  
    Last edited by Tutu; 11-11-2017 at 03:49 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Toroidal transformer build

If your voltage is consistently high, you could take a few turns off of the secondary and reduce the output voltage. Not sure how many you would need to take off, but you can measure the input voltage and the output AC voltage and calculate the Turns Ratio TR = ACVin/ACVout. DCVout = ACVout * 1.414 From this you could figure out how many turns to remove to get you desired max DCV out.

Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Downloads
    Uploads

I've heard that Leadshine's aren't too tolerant of opervoltage, so 78V may be a bit risky.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

whats the spec for the transformer

the 50V output is when the transformer is fully loaded
    off load ( depending on the transformers size ) is likely to be 2 or 3 % higher
    [small 10VA transformers can be 10% higher]

in my part of the UK , during the day , the main voltage voltage varies between 243 V & 248V

so I would have to increase the expected 71V DC (50 x 1.4142) by 11% ( 248/230 x 1.03 = 1.11)

the resulting DC output will be about 79V off load which is at the upper limit for the AM882 drivers

the added problem is the returned energy
    when a moving part of your machine is rapidly decelerated and drives the motors round , turning them into electrical generators

this added current will increase the stepper drivers DC supply voltage !
    possibly enough to destroy your stepper drivers

( some systems have a returned energy dump to automatically add a high current load to the power supply to limit the maximum voltage due to any returned energy )

it looks like you need a 45V transformer which will give you about 70V DC

John