Hi all. This is my first post. While I am proficient with motors, electrical devices and analog electronics, my knowledge of digital is limited. I'm trying to make a programmable coil winder traverse, where an encoder on the spindle generates 200 pulses per rev to drive a 200ppr stepper on a ball-screw traverse. The pitch is 2mm per turn. Connected directly, it would give me 2mm of traverse per spindle rev (full step mode) or 1mm per rev in half-step. I need to divide this and a division ratio of 10 will give me a traverse of 0.1mm per spindle rev in half step mode. The highest rate of pulses coming from the encoder would be 4kHz, which is at 1,200RPM of the spindle. I have found a pulse divider circuit that can have a division ratio set by BCD thumbwheel switches, from 1.000 to 9.999 and this will cover any traverse rate needed for the wire diameters I would use. I need this for nice layer winding on transformer coils. It appears to be ideal but I'm not sure how to implement the circuit which can be found here:

http://www.techlib.com/files/dividers.pdf

Scroll down to the "Fractional-n divider". It uses a 4527 rate multiplier and supporting chips. I understand that the input pulse train from my encoder and an inverted version of it need to be connected to "Fin" and "/Fin", but what do I do with the Master Reset inputs on the 4013 and 4023 chips? (pins MR and /MR). Are they needed? If so, how? I just want to run the spindle with the coil bobbin on it and have the traverse move at the right rate, reverse at the right position and continue winding. I have a bunch of slotted opto switches and intend to use two at the start and end of coil positions and another two to ramp up the winding speed and decelerate so the reversing is shock free. If I need to give these reset inputs a pulse for each layer or something, I can do that. I would very much appreciate any advice that would make this circuit work. Thanks guys.