Please School Me On Proximity Switches - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Please School Me On Proximity Switches

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Please School Me On Proximity Switches

Its better to mount them out of the line of travel of the axis if you can. If something goes wrong it won't cost you a crushed sensor. Plus I think, don't know, that you would get more consistent sensing if the sensor detected an edge as it passed by as opposed to sensing a surface as it approached.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by 1Jumper10 View Post
    Its better to mount them out of the line of travel of the axis if you can. If something goes wrong it won't cost you a crushed sensor. Plus I think, don't know, that you would get more consistent sensing if the sensor detected an edge as it passed by as opposed to sensing a surface as it approached.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
    That's a great idea. Thank You.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I'm still torn on what to buy.

I'm also looking at the square type. They are smaller, looks like they may be easier to incorporate.

1PC SN04-D Inductive Proximity Sensor Detection Switch Two Wire NO DC 6-36V | eBay

Anyone have experience with these? The one I linked to is two wire normally open, which is want I want.

I was also looking through the manual for my BOB.

Low must be able to sink 6mA at less than 0.8V.

These proximity sensors don't happen to list their specifications as to what the bleed through current is. I know there will be some, I just don't know if it will be less than 6mA at less than 0.8V. I'd prefer not to have to mess around with additional resistors if the bleed is too high.

Actually wait a minute, not sure if I'm even reading the manual correctly. The page is still posted in post #7 of this thread if anyone wants to look.

I also found out that for the proximity sensors we were looking at earlier, the 200 to 300 mA is a maximum and that these typically have a high ohm resistor build into them, so the actually current flow should be way way less than that.

Downloads
    Uploads

Just because a device output is rated at a certain limit, it is not necessary to operate it at that current, like I said, it is unfortunate they do not show diagramatical details of the input. I work with industrial equipments of many kinds and it is normal practice to show the I/O details in order to make intelligent decisions on devices used.
    If I were to purchase any other kind of equipment, I would pester the heck out of the supplier if he did not supply this information.
    One of the advantages of 2 wire devices, is they operate as sink or source devices so on equipment that desires just one it does not matter.
    Al.

CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Al_The_Man View Post
    Just because a device output is rated at a certain limit, it is not necessary to operate it at that current, like I said, it is unfortunate they do not show diagramatical details of the input. I work with industrial equipments of many kinds and it is normal practice to show the I/O details in order to make intelligent decisions on devices used.
    If I were to purchase any other kind of equipment, I would pester the heck out of the supplier if he did not supply this information.
    One of the advantages of 2 wire devices, is they operate as sink or source devices so on equipment that desires just one it does not matter.
    Al.
    Thank you for the input. Yes, it appears the maximum current is not an issue.

I am aware that the SNO4 is being used in the 3d printer community at 5V, just haven't seen the two wire being used there, which is the SNO4-D. I also have the 12V on my board. I just don't know if the bleed through current will be too much for it not to register as an "open" line. Of course if that happens, I guess I can always add a resister to lower the bleed?

Probably I just just make up my mind and try it out, square or round. It's only around $25 for all my sensors. What's the worst that could happen?

Al, do you have a preference between the links I posted, as to what you'd try if you were in my shoes?

That's the thing about ordering from China on EBay, it takes a month or more to arrive, so you can't really buy one and try it.

Downloads
    Uploads

Where bouts are you again?
    Ont?
    Al.

Albert E.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Al_The_Man View Post
    Where bouts are you again?
    Ont?
    Al.
    I sent you a PM with the coordinates.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Al_The_Man has just given me a great idea.

I will be using two pneumatic cylinders, counterbalancing my Z axis. I think the ones I bought are "S" type for sensor. They are stainless steel but I think they have a magnet? At any rate, perhaps I can use two of the two wire pneumatic cylinder sensors for the limits on my Z axis. Does anyone know how they attach to the cylinder or have any other advice or suggestions?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

They attach directly to the outside of the cylinder and sense the magnet in the piston through the cylinder wall. I recommend you get the cylinder and sensors together. They are kind of a matched set. Electrically they aren't anything special, just hall effect sensors, but their shape helps make a secure attachment to the cylinder. Also, a lot of cylinders already have the magnet in the piston. You might be able to get any suitable hall effect sensor to work.

Downloads
    Uploads

They are only made for pneumatic generally. As these are usually aluminum cylinder, the hydraulic kind use a steel cylinder usually and the sensors I mentioned in PM do not work on these.
    Magnet senors do not work on steel.
    I have several 2 wire kind with LED indicator.
    Often they attache with a jubilee style clamp that can be adjusted for position on the cylinder.The piston carries a magnetic ring on it.
    Al.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Please School Me On Proximity Switches-cylindsense-jpg  

Albert E.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12