Need Help! Anyone here with interference on long runs for steppers or VFDs?

Thread: Anyone here with interference on long runs for steppers or VFDs?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Question Anyone here with interference on long runs for steppers or VFDs?

I am working on my first table had planned to use shielded cables for pretty much everything I could. That was until I tried to locate 12/4 stranded shielded wire. It feels like it doesn't exist. The fact this isn't commonly available leads me to believe I'm doing something silly, and it's not what I should be using.

The steppers are Nema 34 3.5A 60V and the longest run will be somewhere around 30 feet. I was leaning towards 12AWG stranded (seems to be readily available and often sold as 12/4 speaker cable) figuring voltage drop would be minimal but then I got caught up in the search of shielding.

Is it common to skip the shielding on your stepper and VFD wiring and only use shielded for your low voltage sensors? I suppose I'm most worried about the interference introduced by the VFD. It's a 3kw 3ph spindle. I've seen a few builds where builders mount the inverter to the back of their Z-axis, perhaps it's to avoid this dilemma entirely.

Please share your thoughts! Thanks in advance, happy to be part of CNCZone!

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Anyone here with interference on long runs for steppers or VFDs?

18 gauge would probably be fine for those motors. I would not go any bigger than 16 guage.
    Personally, I don't believe that you need to use shielded wire from your drives to your steppers.
    The VFD wire to the spindle MUST be shielded.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Anyone here with interference on long runs for steppers or VFDs?

Thanks for your input Gerry! Now the hunt for the correct gauge wire for my VFD begins.