So I recently rebuilt from the ground up my 1978 Mori Seiki SL1 Lathe. Using Pokeys 57CNC motion control board and Mach 4. Everything works perfect, except when I got to installing the encoder for the spindle so I can do threading.

What happens is when the encoder is hooked up and not touching any metal or having the shielding wire connected it registers zero in mach 4 true RPM, but when it does touch metal (the lathe or having the shielding wire hooked up) it goes bonkers. So obviously I have noise on the line.

Any help would be appreciated. Right now the system has ALL grounds and shielding wires hooked to a central point. The system is using 2 VFDs and a 15HP Rotary Phase converter and 240VAC, which powers the rotary phase converter and other things directly in the electronic enclosure. I'm assuming the noise is coming from the ground hooked up to my electrical box, the rotary phase converter and the VFDs.

So what can I do to eliminate this problem? Filters on the VFD and rotary phase converter? I don't know enough about this stuff to come up with a solution of my own.