Problem Could it be the power supply ? Well apparently not

Thread: Could it be the power supply ? Well apparently not

Default Could it be the power supply ? Well apparently not

I'll try to make sense of this but honestly its a bit of a baffler to me just to explain it.
    Doing motor tuning of new to me, but very used CNC router. Nothing hooked up when I bought it.
    Get it all running, but only at very low feed rates (<15IMP). Set the ref voltage on the driver boards per spec and next time i jog a bit the power supply cuts out ( I think its a thermal cutout). Looking for the offending board I discover that any board that is connected to the 24v power, is enough draw to trip the power supply. Even with just the BOB and no driver boards at all, it quickly trips the power supply. Weird observation is that with everything disconnect from the 24v power supply, the boards light up correctly, I have to assume its getting power from the parallel port ?
    Hook up the BOB to 24v power and all the lights go out. Could the BOB alone, or just a single driver board with the stepper disconnected pull enough amps ( >6.5) to trip the power supply ? It happens so fast I can't get a amp reading with my multimeter? How can I test the power supply ?

Update:
    Got a new power supply, same behavior. Must have smoked all three driver boards ?

Similar Threads:
    Last edited by bayouburner; 05-24-2017 at 02:00 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Could it be the power supply ? Well apparently not

Are you confusing the logic power supply (+5 volts) from the motor power supply? Many drivers and BOB's require both. All of this sounds like a question for the people you purchased the driver and BOB from. Who was that and do they not provide support?

James hosts the single best wiki page about motors for CNC hobbyists on the net:
    http://techref.massmind.org/techref/io/motors.htm Disagree? Tell him what's missing! ,o)

Default Re: Could it be the power supply ? Well apparently not

Spoke to the manufacture. Probotix, great guys. BOB (PBX2) is still in production, but the stepper drivers (side-step) are not. The BOB has inputs for the 24 volts, but with them disconnected, it still powers up the LED just using power from the parallel port I guess. I (Probotix) believe I toasted the drivers by turning the steppers by hand to see if there was any resistance once they had stalled. I'll get a set of new Probotix boards and move forward with more caution.

Additionally I was powering up the 24 volt power supply after the thermal cutout had reset, but it was still too hot to run anything so it would cut off again regardless of what I had it connected to. Let it cool down completely and it was fine. Not impressed with that but now I understand it and can work with it.