Need Help! Split phase on industrial devices - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Split phase on industrial devices

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Split phase on industrial devices

Quote Originally Posted by ger21 View Post
    but the seller recommended R & T first, but any should work.
    So I guess their is some difference.
    Before I am convinced, Someone would have to give me a logical electronic explanation as all the ones I have scrapped for parts etc have had just a 3 phase rectifier in the input, this means that the only thing that presents itself to the outside world IS the rectifier, after that it is a simple DC bus with a large capacitor bank.
    The only exception was a Mitsubishi.
    Al.

CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Al_The_Man View Post
    Before I am convinced, Someone would have to give me a logical electronic explanation as all the ones I have scrapped for parts etc have had just a 3 phase rectifier in the input, this means that the only thing that presents itself to the outside world IS the rectifier, after that it is a simple DC bus with a large capacitor bank.
    The only exception was a Mitsubishi.
    Al.
    Does your VFD that you where looking at have a molded 3ph rectifier body, if it has you can't see how the module has been configured inside, we all know what a normal bridge full wave rectifier looks like but most of these are not a normal configuration inside

Most VFD Drive Manufacturers, have a lay out drawing that looks like this below, that clearly show how they want the user to connect the 2 or 3 input terminals, try connecting the Neutral wire for single phase to L2 ( S ) Terminal, and not to what the manufacturer spec's, as below, many have done this, only to damage there expensive VFD Drive, this example is only one configuration, so anyone wiring a VFD should wire to the Manufacturer's requirements and not here say, or from a video they saw on YouTube

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Split phase on industrial devices-vfd-wiring-configeration-png  
    Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

Of course, the typical standard 3 phase bridge is not being used! . a SPECIAL one has been SPECIALLY designed,
    I think not!!.
    Also if one inadvertently connects a neutral it is certainly not recommended but in this case no current will flow in the neutral what so ever due to being reverse biased.
    Just as if you wired a 15a duplex outlet with L1 to one outlet and L2 to the other with the neutral common on the opposite side.
    If you plugged in a exact 10amp 120v load to each socket, what current would flow in the neutral?
    Zero of course!.
    Max..

Albert E.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Al_The_Man View Post
    Of course, the typical standard 3 phase bridge is not being used! . a SPECIAL one has been SPECIALLY designed,
    I think not!!.
    Also if one inadvertently connects a neutral it is certainly not recommended but in this case no current will flow in the neutral what so ever due to being reverse biased.
    Just as if you wired a 15a duplex outlet with L1 to one outlet and L2 to the other with the neutral common on the opposite side.
    If you plugged in a exact 10amp 120v load to each socket, what current would flow in the neutral?
    Zero of course!.
    Max..
    No they are not special, they are standard off the shelf, technology has move on

You don't know much about how technology has moved on from the old days, what we make even have there own programmable CPU, it's call an DIPM Intelligent Power Module, they are used in hundreds of different Drive types for this same use

So tell us why when some user's here on the Zone connect a Neutral with there 240v NA supply, when they should not, that they smoke the Drive????

Most of Europe uses a Neutral to complete the 230v circuit, but of cause you no that, every one knows that a Neutral is used in NA only for 120v connections,( Well some do ) which are used on some of these 120v VFD Drives if connected incorrectly they will damage the VFD, which lots on the Zone here have done, go back over some of the older posts, lots have smoked the Huanyang, Nowforever and Hitachi VFD Drives through incorrect wiring

Everyone need to follow what the manufacturer's recommend for there Input power connections to there VFD Drive that they are using

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    You don't know much about how technology has moved on from the old days,
    Incidentally I not only have a master electricians license for the UK but a Industrial Electronics technician accreditation from there.
    In N.A. I have been a retro-fitter of CNC systems using Fanuc and Mitsubishi as well as developing PC based systems around Galil Motion cards.
    So I have managed somehow to acquire a 'smattering' of Knowledge over the years!

Albert E.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12